Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nyhamptons

Is my palm dead?

NYHamptons
10 years ago

I was in Puerto Rico during the time when there was severe cold and horrie frosts. My palm has some green on it still tho. I will post a pic. I have not protected it and it's outside in a pot, any tips on how to protect it now without bringing it inside?

Comments (11)

• User
    10 years ago

Trachys in pots are not Winter hardy in our area. ALL plants (hardy AND subtropicals) are much less hardy in a pot compared to the ground. I would keep it someplace frost free but not warm until Spring, might recoup.

• NYHamptons
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So you think it's dead?

• User
    10 years ago

If I thought it were dead, I would not have said it might recoup. It may!
    They can suffer major leaf damage and then recoup, but further cold, in a pot, is not useful now, and it is easy enough to move someplace more protected...if only against a home with some burlap around it for a couple of more weeks. Good luck!

• tropicalzone7
    10 years ago

It doesn't look dead, but I haven't heard of trachys surviving the temperatures you saw in the Hamptons as potted plants. I would keep an eye on it. It will probably completely defoliate and the spear might pull in the spring, but if all else fails you can try trunk cutting it to the first point where there looks to be live tissue since sometimes that works well as a last resort.

Keep us updated, I hope it pulls through!
    -Alex

• NYHamptons
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Alright I'll move it against my house this weekend and add some burlap on it. Hope it's still alive, but tropicalzone7, you said it will most likely completely defoliate? Is there any way to check of it's still alive though? I mean the leaves still look relatively green, I don't want to really move it anywhere if it's dead.

• Kokomo-JB
    10 years ago

At the Inn at Fox Hollow, we installed 4 Trachies in pots-as per their wishes. I told them to wrap the pots in attic insulation and so far they are doing great and all 4 are unprotected.

• tropicalzone7
    10 years ago

This time of the year it's hard to tell if it's alive or not. I don't know for sure if it will defoliate but I know that my young potted trachy did last winter and your trachy definitely saw temperatures that are colder than they are usually able to handle. My potted trachy that ended up dying last year but it looked green right into spring. The spear on it did pull early on so I would give the spear of your palm a light tug and see if it comes out or not. If it pulls, I don't think it will ever come back, but if it doesn't there is no reason to give up hope on it surviving! The good news is your potted trachy is a lot bigger than my potted trachy was so yours might be able to handle the cold better.

Sometimes palms show their damage from cold right away and sometimes it will look green until spring and then the real damage shows. As long as it's still green now though, that's good news for sure!

Good luck!
    -Alex

• NYHamptons
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Okay thanks tropicalzone7! I tugged the newest growth on the palm or the spear, and it didn't come out, infact it didn't budge! So this means it must be alive right? If so, I have a handyman here now, and I will have him move it to the deck where there it will be shielded from the winds, and I'll wrap it in burlap!

• tropicalzone7
    10 years ago

It doesn't always mean that the cold didn't kill it, but it definitely does make it worth protecting for the rest of the winter. We have some more cold weather coming this week so definitely keep it well protected from that.
    At least winter will be over in just a few more weeks.
    Keep us updated!
    -Alex

• NYHamptons
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Should I wrap burlap around the new growth? Or should I let it be and just wrap the trunk and the pot?

• tropicalzone7
    10 years ago

I would wrap the pot, trunks, and fronds if possible. We will definitely see several more nights in the teens this winter so if the burlap keeps your trachy 10F warmer than the outside temperature at night that should be warm enough to keep it from getting further damage. Luckily it looks like it will be mostly dry during this cold spell (although there could be a little snow out in your area of Long Island) but the lack of significant precipitation during the cold will definitely help prevent it from rotting.
    -Alex

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH