Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kokomo_jb

Update after the Polar Vortex

Kokomo-JB
10 years ago

It's been a tough 2 days that saw temps in our area stay solidly in the single digits with wind chills bringing it down to the negative teens. If the temps weren't bad enough, we had wind gusts up to 30+. Today we finally climbed up to a balmy 20 degrees on the mercury with wind chills bringing it down to single digits.

Here's a visual update on my boys, only time will reveal the true damage they took.

Windmills: Some leaf tip burn and tattered fronds due to wind damage. For the most part they look fine and the new spears have no tip burn on them.

Needles and Sabal Minors: Visually they look exactly the same as they did before the Polar Vortex. No visual change what-so-ever.

Pindos: Petioles and rachis are green as are the parts of the leaflets that are closest to the rachis. Inner fronds and new spears are fine to the eye. Minor leaf tip burn on some of the outer fronds. Yesterday, they had a Bronzish hue but today they are mostly back to the mint green color and bronzing on some of the leaflets. I will keep an eye on the new spears and mark their position to see if it grows in the next couple of weeks.

Mule: The little fella is still green with much more leaf tip burn than any of my other palms. Time will also reveal the true extent of the damage it suffered.

Overall:
Minors and Needles look like they sailed through it.

Windmills took a little beating (more wind related) but hopefully they will recover quickly with no permanent damage.

Pindo's & Mule definitely suffered damage and will know more as time passes.

I guess whatever lives will give me an idea of the limits that these cold hardies can take.

The past couple of days reminds us that we all garden at the pleasure of Mother Nature.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH