Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newgen_gw

Do Majesty palms prefer full sun or shade?

newgen
14 years ago

From reading this forum I'm getting conflicting info. Some say to grow in dappled shade, others say full sun. I just bought 2 (in 5-gallon pots). The summer here is hot, 90s to some days with low 100s, and dry. I understand these palms like to be near water. So should I plant them on the north side, where the sun exposure is not so intense? If they can take the high temps, then I'll plant them on my south-facing backyard. Either location will get plenty of water.

Thanks,

Comments (11)

• southern_il_boy
    14 years ago

newgen,

I believe Majesty Palms are grown on the isle of Hispaniola (Dominica/Haiti), a very hot humid place. If you acclimate them to full sun they will do fine. I know they love lots of water, so not a good choice in dry places unless you can water them frequently.

Good luck with them.

• statenislandpalm7a
    14 years ago

They can take sun or shade. In sun they grow a compact crown in shade their leaves stretch. You should plant it on the south side of your home. You should also protect it from frost. They grow faster in sun and look better. i have grown this palm a an outdoor plant half the year and a housplant half the year. When the temperatures get 80+ it is impossible to overwater.

• newgen
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the info, that's very encouraging. Is now a good time to put them inground? Temps are 40/50 at night, 60s during the day. It WILL get colder next month, but hardly ever freezes. I'll be sure to wrap them when I know of upcoming freezes. Oh, one other very important question: can they tolerate winds? Sometimes my backyard gets pretty windy.

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    14 years ago

They can put up with shade-look greener- but they will grow much faster in full sun. The more sun-the more water and fertilizer. Best to plant in late April or May. The warmer soil gets the roots going.To plant now isnt going to do them any good.

• tropicalzone7
    14 years ago

In shade you wont worry about watering as much, and the leaves will grow farther out and slower. In full sun you will have to water it well during hot day, but it will be more compact with a fuller crown and more noticeable trunk.

Mine saw a light coating of snow at 27F and lived (taken in immediately after and probably didnt see low than 30, but was covered in a light snow by then). I think 30 is when damage might start to appear and 25 is there limit without protection. Try to keep away from frost.

• tropicpalms
    14 years ago

majesty palms r native to madagascar they grow many of places due to human interaction ( like all palms ) but like everyone said greener in part shade but slower. and faster in sun. i have a few. also can be house plants like statenisland mentioned.

• southern_il_boy
    14 years ago

My potted Majesty Palms seem to tolerate wind fairly well.

I would not plant them in the ground until much warmer weather though. I did leave mine outside until the temps were in the low 30's and then took them indoors. They are doing fine. So I guess they can tolerate low temps(above freezing) but not very long. I forgot about one on the side of the house and it went thru 2 nights below freezing. It's dead. But they're so cheap to buy that I don't really care that much.

• mrgreenthumb27
    11 years ago

It will grow in full sun once acclimated but plants always look better with protection from mid day sun.

• ericthehurdler
    11 years ago

my containerized majesty palm survived a cold snap of 22 in january with lots of damage, but it looks good now. the only protection it had was being under a covered deck but when i felt the soil it was frozen solid and so were the leaves.
    its also placed in full sun and i think that might be why it had a speedy recovery.
    if you just bought the palms then i wouldn't suggest placing them immediately in full sun they need to be eased into it with shade clothe or whatever.
    i dont see any reason not to plant it in the ground. there so cheap that it wont be too much of a heartache if they croak.

• bradleyo_gw
    11 years ago

Where are you newgen, Eureka? Temps like those in Cali would only exist there I think. I wouldn't think a majesty had any chance in Eureka and probably most of northern Cali, but I could be wrong. If you're on the SF peninsula, you might have a chance, but that it is one heck of a specialized microclimate I believe you're probably living in.

I used to live in Walnut Creek, granted before I got into palms, but I don't know that majesties would do well in the East Bay either. I don't recall seeing any. On the PalmTalk forum, there are several guys from NoCal that are on that forum and could probably help you more. There is also a board for Palms in the Northwest which may be linked here or maybe the hardy palm and subtropical board.

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County