Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Coconuts sprouting

Posted by crowdypooster 9b/10a (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 25, 14 at 15:21

I have what I think is an older Jamaican Tall coconut palm on my property. One of the coconuts that fell in the last few months is already sprouting! I would like to cultivate these "seeds" and grow as many of these as possible.

Are there any specific guidelines on how to best care for a coconut palm seedling? I have found ants on several of the coconuts, so I don't want that to be a recurrent issue.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Coconuts sprouting

How do you mean "...found ants on several of the coconuts"? Ants run around all over the place so it's not unusual for them to climb over fallen coconuts. Unless you mean termites, sometimes referred to as White Ants. I've never had any problem from ants with coconuts. Termites, depending on species, definitely yes.

You can just lay coconuts flat on the ground where you want them to grow. The roots just pierce the husk and go straight down into the ground. If you want them in pots, it's the same thing, lay them flat on the soil. From there it's just like any plant, maintain moisture especially in hotter weather.

o

Hi
They are fairly easy to sprout IF the seed is viable and kept warm. If in Florida you'll probably have the best luck after winter. I bury about half the husk in a fairly moist soil
Be patient have had them take a year !!
gary

o

I am in Stuart, FL.

The ants may have been termites...they seem to have consumed much of the coconut. I will just keep a watchful eye for things like that. That was on coconuts that fell one year ago, so they may have been rotten to begin with.

I have taken roughly twenty of the coconuts and half-buried them as you described, Gary. I was surprised to see that one sprout after only 2-3 months. We will see how long these others take. I am in no hurry.

Thanks for the input, everyone.

o

Hi
i find palm seeds remarkable in the variation in the length of time to germination.. have had cocos in 2 months
while others can go a year . Among other types from 2 weeks to 27 months!! Most certainly require warmth especially cocos. gary

o

Was it just the husk the termites consumed, or did they get right inside as well?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here