Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brooklyngreg

60 Degrees expected in New York City/ East Coast Stunningly Warme

brooklyngreg
12 years ago

Its 54 now and the string of nice days continues and the pattern for warming intervals increases. Since the pattern for warming cycles has brought us through the worse part of winter, we may see an early Spring. Of course we could still get some real snow, and upstate needs it, but so far the pattern is not availing itself to a cold snowy winter. My plams are happy - but I have to keep venting them.

Comments (22)

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

It got up to 60F in my yard today! It was a really nice day. All my palms have been uncovered for at least a week and I think they are going to remain uncovered for the next 10 days! The coldest temperature in the forecast is only 29F so its no problem for any of my outdoor subtropicals! They were getting way too warm inside their protection. The early tulips and Daffodils are coming up fast and my Kramer's Supreme Camellia looks like it will be opening its buds soon!

We will definitely still get some cold days and cold shots, but even if it gets really wintery outside for a few days, the higher sun angle (and the calendar date) will make it seem like spring is really around the corner. The pollen forecast is starting to show that there is some pollen in the air and the trees will begin to bloom in about 6 weeks (with the bradford pears about 2 months away from blooming.

And Im happy to say that my Frostproof gardenias have had no protection this winter and are still completely green. They seem like they are relatively reliable gardenias for a zone 7 and the blooms during the summer are one of my favorites!

And Greg, the new USDA zone map came out and all of Brooklyn is now a zone 7b according to the map! I think that they warmed up the area a bit too much on the map, but its possible that the new zone rating could mean some more subtropical plants will be shipped to locally to nursuries. I guess we will see!

-Alex

• jimhardy
    12 years ago

Definitely on the way,we were 63f yesterday,46f last night and 61f today.
    It maybe 60 again tomorrow or Thurs...the palms are all uncovered for this week(-:
    They have been uncovered about half the winter and one of the
    Needle palms has only a handful of days covered.

Click for weather forecast

• brooklyngreg
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I know you are loving it Jim. Every one is enjoying it.
    Alex, thanks for the info - you knew it would make my day..LOL. All good points you made. I noticed we haven't been below 9 or 10 in years now, so it makes sense that they re-adjusted the zones -at least for now. That is good news to us palm growers in the northern most mid Atlantic!!!

Interestingly also, about 12 years or so ago, we kept having very below average snowfalls and they said the new method to calculate normal is to take the numbers from the past few years and retabulate them - perhaps that's how we have become rezoned to 7b - please tell me the website.

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

Heres a link to that website Greg! http://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/PHZMWeb/

Right now its 64F outside and sunny! What a great way to start February! I hope it doesnt get cold again, I think it would be pretty hard to adjust back to winter!
    -Alex

• brooklyngreg
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the site, the long range forcast looks more like early March and not early February.

• chadec7a
    12 years ago

According to a post from Tony Avent of Plants Delight nursey who had something to do with the new map. Calculations were taken from the past 30 years. Also that the info. on this map was already 6 years old. They we're talking about breaking the zones up further into a, b, c and d. I guess I would end up a c on that map. But this year Im living in zone 8b. Just wish it would dry up a little.

• wetsuiter
    12 years ago

I've already recalculated my zone as a zone 7c until they fill in the last six years. ;-)

• mastiffhoo
    12 years ago

Got to 70 in Lynchburg, Va! How awesome!! Looking at the extended forecast, the lowest temp so for the coming week is 33. The lowest the low so far this season is 17 and we have only been in the teens once all winter. I'll take it!

• wetsuiter
    12 years ago

Was in upper 60s in Southern Delaware yesterday. Not as nice today in upper 40s and rain, but the 10 day forecast has six high temps at 50 or above, two at 49 and no nights below freezing. Thanks for this winter, Punxsutawney Phil!

• brooklyngreg
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Did anyone make 70*
    That warm spell was a tease:(
    Although it looks like the south is still pretty mild.

• wetsuiter
    12 years ago

Many places in metro DC hit 70 yesterday. As the winter fades into spring, the ocean has the opposite effect. It keeps us cooler than places farther inland. The ocean is now at its coldest and it gives us a spring time lag.

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

The warm spell was definitely just a little taste of spring and not a sign of whats ahead in the near future. But in 2 months it should be nice and warm again!
    January is almost always the coldest month of the year as a whole so technically the worst of winter is already behind us and things will be slowly getting warmer now!
    -Alex

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    12 years ago

Hello Everyone,

I think we hit 70 here yesterday, but of course i was out working in the northeast. Newark!!! It was nice there, but i wish i was here in Vb to have this wonderful warmth!!

How have you all been?

I feel like it has been a long time since i have seen you all...

Hey Greg, How are you!!! I have a request from a friend to post a pic of those huge Ponderosa Lemons again. The ones that your wife were holding and we were laughing about how many lemon bars you all could make? Could you possibly find that one for me? Thanks!!! Miss you too!

Hey Jim,

How are you doing? Weather alright? How are you protected gardens?

Alex,

So nice to see you too! How are your trees? Plumeria?

V,

They ae ready whenever you want to come down. I can always cut and put into large bags.... let me know!!!

Brian, i miss taking to you...i sent a few emails to your old account and it was alot of info...we need to just sit down or pick up the phone..to much stuff happening now.. but please email me so we can keep in touch..i miss you!!!

Hey Chad!! How are you?

Lots of things going on here in VB..

Remember some of you all knew that my daughter had to have a Open Heart Surgery to have her Aoratic Valve replaced. That went well...but they gave her 5 years to have kids before she had to undergo another Open heart OP to have a mech valve out in. So...guess what?

After 6 mts of trying and the doc saing to wait until 6 mts..she is going to have a little one...Yikes..imm going to be a granny...gheesh..did i say that. ,lol

It will be wonderful, but very scary!!

Any helpful advise will be greatly appreciated!!!

Sorry i have been MIA...i have been soooo busy!!! work, family issues...

Thanks for the emails form you all! I certainly appreciated them!!!

Mahalo,

Laura

Everyone doing well?

• mastiffhoo
    12 years ago

Hey Laura, so glad to see you on here!! I emailed you my new email addy! Hope to hear from you soon!!!!

• brooklyngreg
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi All,

Laura welcome back! I am so glad to hear your daughter is well and congrats on soon to be grandma. If I had know I would have prayed for her. Feel free to request prayer. I am sure you did. Here are some of the lemon photos as requested:)

Wow, it was big enough to make many lemon squares!

I wonder if it broke the worlds record... lol.

Wetsuiter, I here you. The ocean effect does cause a Spring lag here in coastal NY - that's one reason I left Long Island and moved to Brooklyn. Its much warmer here in the Spring whereas Long Island took so much more time to warm-up. We still experience back door cold fronts that rob us of 70-80 degree days in April-May, but Long Island would often not make it past 65 until May.

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

Congrats Laura! In very happy to hear that your daughter made a great recovery and is now going to have a baby. You must be very excited that you are going to be a grandma soon! Glad that things are doing well by you!
    The weather was very nice here, got up to 65F this week. Now we are back to average, but warm enough for the palms to be uncovered. I even have my potted oleanders outside and some palms and yuccas.
    My Plumerias are doing very well. My tallest one hasnt stopped making new leaves all winter long and its now about 10 feet tall! Its officially the tallest potted plant that I own (just a few inches taller than my Solitare palm and Spindle palm). My other plumerias are basically dormant (no blooms indoors this winter unforunately!), but they are ready to go outside the second it starts getting warm again!
    Hope everything is well by you!

Nice pics of that lemon Greg! Definitely makes me want to get some more citrus plants when spring comes!

-Alex

• chadec7a
    12 years ago

Congrats Laura on being a grandmaw! Glad to hear your daughter is doing well. Can't wait to see more photos of your palms and plumerias.

Greg, those lemons are amazing!

• brooklyngreg
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Alex, its easy to grow them, especially someone with your talent. Did you see Europe is getting hit hard with cold and snow. Rome closed the collosium due to snow and ice today. Foutians in London frooze. So our cold weather took a trip across the pond for this season.

Thanks Chad, the ponderosa lemon tree (the're small and good in pots)can be ordered on line and grows lemons fairly consistently.

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

Thanks for the complement Greg! And the cold in Europe (and Alaska) has been really brutal! I know someone in Germany who said it was freezing cold there and parts of England is going into the Teens (F) with days that dont even get above freezing. But the worst cold is centered around eastern europe where its so cold that a lot of people have died.
    I hope they see a warm up soon, the weather should be starting to warm up for the in the next few days!
    -Alex

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    12 years ago

Hello Everyone,

Greg,

Thank you so much!!

I will send my friend Mike here to view your trees.

He gave me a Ponderosa Lemon tree after he had a name his Ponderosa contest over at the citrus forum. I won!! LOL...so my prize was a new Ponderosa Lemon tree. I have wanted one ever since i had seen your huge lemons. I had mentioned these huge lemons to him and he wanted to see these one of a kind... : )

Still cant believe the size of these babies!! LOL

I had many prayers sent my way and i do appreciate all of the ones that gave me encouragement.. Truly, i mean that from the bottom of my heart!

Brian,

Thank you as well..... Youu have mail!! : )

Chad,

You are very kind. Thanks you!!! Want pics of my new Plumeria under lights? LOL...Twist my arm..lol ill post one in a few...

Alex,

You are a wonderful person..thank you!!

It has beenn one trying year and imm glad to see 2012 come in... Let this be a better one for everyone!!!

Glad to hear all is well with you and your Plams and Plumies!!! My Penang Peach is blooming.. its so nice to see these beauties this time of the year!!!

V,

Thank you for all of your support...

ok,

here is one for you Chad...

Penang Peach growing under T-5 lights
    {{gwi:3230}}

Mahalo,

Laura

• wetsuiter
    12 years ago

Laura! Glad to hear the good news.

I'll call you over weekend and we can coordinate. Either I drive down or can do an SBY handoff.

V

• chadec7a
    12 years ago

Laura, those are beautiful thanks! Maybe one day I'll be better with house plants and will try plumerias.lol

Temps down to 50s for the rest of the weekend. Its suppose to start raining at lunch time and continue through Sunday night. So I will be covering everything again to protect from rot.

Chad,