Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kokomo_jb

My Boys After the Polar Vortex

Kokomo-JB
10 years ago

Well all my Garden Web Family...
here are the Long Island Boys after the Polar Vortex.

1st the Windmills. The leaves are still a little curled from the cold. My Rhododendron leaves still look like cigarettes!

Comments (12)

• Kokomo-JB
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another Windmill Picture.

• Kokomo-JB
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Needle Palm. Didn't feel sh*t.

• Kokomo-JB
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sabal Minor...Just another day-didn't feel it either. FYI: That isn't yellow on the leaves-it's the sun shining through it.

• Kokomo-JB
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My little slugger Eeyore the Mule Palm. I love this little guy and I'm pulling for him.

• Kokomo-JB
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pindo 1: Some natural protection from the wind.

• Kokomo-JB
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pindo 2: Directly in the path of wind. This was the fella who had bronzing on the Leaflets but the petioles and new growth is green

• Kokomo-JB
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pindo 2 Close-up:
    The new growth may not look it with the angle of the sun, but the new growth is green

• Kokomo-JB
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well those are the Pictures of the Long Island Gang.

Given that they were totally unprotected....

Given the weather conditions not just from the past two days but the entire season since November...

Given the fact that they are not in sheltered or protected spots...

I'd say, they look good. I pray that I can say that a month from now! :)

I'm mostly surprised at how the Mule has done so far. I hope he survives because when compared to the Pindo, the Mule has more benefits- namely it's a faster grower and because it's sterile, no messy seeds.

• chadec
    10 years ago

Hope that pindo grows out of that damage. Those windmills look great.

• Kokomo-JB
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I hope so too and only time will tell I guess. The Windmills, Sabal Minors and Needles-possibly the Mule as well, look great for the moment and I hope I see no delayed visible damage in the coming weeks. I'm hoping for the best! :)

This post was edited by Kokomo-JB on Wed, Jan 8, 14 at 22:43

• User
    10 years ago

From my own experience, I have only seen the spear pull when the weather actually got WARM. So, you will have to wait to be sure, but really wish you the best! I had lost a Pindo a few years ago from just heavy snow and not nearly such cold temps, but that was a VERY WET season (one in wish I also lost a unprotected Trachy). Also, members of the same species may exhibit
    Different tolerances to cold.

P.S., Basement protected fail tail palm in picture--love'em.

• Kokomo-JB
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Erik Brown told me that if my Mule Palm lives, it will have set the record on cold tolerance. Currently it is held by a Mule that took 10F in northern Florida.

I did give my boys a partial elixir that I have shared on garden web. Maybe it had something to do with my palms potential success. Anyway, I gave them all a full treatment today.

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus