Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
us_marine

Taking the coco outside ....

us_marine
11 years ago

For today and the next couple of days. I need to spray it again with fungicide and let it get some bright light that it hasn't gotten much of lately. I also had to spray it with soapy water to kill the palm aphids. Its not really warm enough for a coconut palm being only in the 50f's though. But its not cold enough to cause harm either.

I figure it could do some good being outside for the warmest part of the day. The sunlight should still warm the fronds, stems and soil enough for some growth even if its a small amount. And that not to mention being near a wall to add some extra heat.

- US_Marine

Comments (6)

• us_marine
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Had some free time so I took some pics.

{{gwi:1116056}}

{{gwi:1116060}}

{{gwi:1116062}}

{{gwi:1116063}}

This winter its rather ratty after the fungus infection. Already lost 3 fronds and counting from it. I cut off as much of the dead fronds and parts of dead fronds as possible. Hoping to get rid of any spore that may survive on them. Thought I cured it but I guess I didn't spray it enough before taking it iside for the winter. Thats why I sprayed it a lot today. The aphid infestion didn't help either and did get pretty bad but I think the soapy water will take care of that. Come on warmer weather! lol And soon I probably should give it a little water.

- US_Marine

• miketropic
    11 years ago

ever had luck rooting one from the grocery? Mine always get mold on them then the coco milk ferments and I have to throw them out. wonder what I'm doing wrong

• coconut_palm
    11 years ago

That Golden Malayan looks about like one that I have that I plan on putting in the ground in April here in Corpus Christi, that is if my wife and I can come up with the down payment to buy the house we are renting. I hope it will survive the winters here. Corpus Christi is at the absolute northernmost limit of where coconut palms can be grown in Texas, and even then only on the east side of town near the bayfront or Gulf.

• coconut_palm
    11 years ago

Here, I have the advantage of being able to collect coconuts on the beach in the Spring and Summer. They wash up on the Texas beaches from about March until October. This is when the currents come from the southern Gulf to the northern Gulf, and these currents bring coconuts here from the Gulf Coast of Mexico and the Yucatan. I have sprouted three palms this past summer from coconuts I collected off the beach. One is already 3ft. above the nut, and it only sprouted back in July! I think it is a hybrid cross between a Mexican Tall and a Golden Malayan Dwarf.

As far as grocery store coconuts are concerned, something is being done to them now that prevents them from sprouting. I think they are being radiated when imported and they are refrigerated in transport and at the grocery stores before being put out on the shelves. Radiation is extremely harmful to us and of course kills or mutates the seed inside the nut, and refrigeration is totally unnecessary with tropical fruits and actually destroys the freshness of the fruit (like putting bananas in a freezer), and it will kill the seed of most tropical fruits if they are kept too cold for too long.

When I was in high school twenty something years ago, you could buy an unhusked coconut from a grocery store that had milk in it then take it home and plant it in a pot in full sun in the summer and have a decent chance of it sprouting. Not anymore!

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

I agree with coconut palm, coconuts aren't sold as viable seeds so their treatment is rough from source to store. There's always a possibility that the odd one might get through and still be okay, but that's an outside chance at best.

• us_marine
    Original Author
    11 years ago

If you protect on any frost that may happen when its its still new in the ground you might be able to hardy it off. The extra time being in the round would be good.

I personally havn't had any luck getting one to sprout either. They all do the same as you mentioned. Although once I might have got kinda close. Dont know what happened. The eye had started to grow a lot and got around 2ish inches before suddenly dying. But it is possible still, its just very rare.

- US_Marine

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus