Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kokomo_jb

Queens NY Windmill Customer

Kokomo-JB
10 years ago

This picture was taken today.
What I find amazing is that it is in a plastic pot, it's a youth and it looks great.

Alex, maybe you need to move from the Bronx to Queens :)

Potential Good News:

The weather might be changing as the jet-stream is suddenly shifting!!!

Comments (7)

• chadec
    10 years ago

Amazing that its doing so well in a pot. Some of mine are not fairing so well in ground, but they are skinnier than that one.

• Kokomo-JB
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Chad! They need to be thick to survive up here.

• tropicalzone7
    10 years ago

Glad to see that trachy is hanging in there! I hope it looks nice and green in spring. I actually live in Staten Island. Unfortunately it's the southernmost bourough but not the warmest. Brooklyn hasn't gone below 10F in spots this winter but I've gone down to 3F! The yards in Brooklyn are definitely smaller though so I guess that's the trade off!

Thanks for sharing!
    -Alex

• Kokomo-JB
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry Alex, I thought you were a Bronx Boy. Staten Island, huh. According to a good friend of mine that grew up on Staten Island...he claims the real "Sleepy Hollow" is in Staten Island and as a kid, he and his friends went to a cemetery and found a tombstone with Ichabod Crane on it!
    Don't know if I believe him but he swears to it.

Another funny story...
    I've been watching the TV show "Sleepy Hollow" which is supposed to take place in Rockland County-right over the Tappan Zee bridge. In one of the episodes, they must have screwed up because I saw what looked like a 20 foot Fortunei in the background of a scene in town. So I thought they might have filmed it on location in Rockland County and said there aren't any 20 ft Fortuneis over there. So I looked up the show on wikipedia and it said that they film the show in New Bern NC....now that makes sense!

• tropicalzone7
    10 years ago

I never heard that story, but it sounds interesting, I will have to look into it!
    I always find it interesting when palms make it on TV in settings that are supposed to be palmless. I think the most common palm I have seen out of place on TV are date palms. I don't know why but camera men just don't seem to notice them when filming or maybe they just think the audience won't notice them!
    -Alex

• Kokomo-JB
    Original Author
    10 years ago

it was in one of the first episodes. I think it's because these camera crews are so used to being in CA that they don't even notice them.

• Beach_bums
    10 years ago

I bought 4 takils in 4 inch pots 20 years ago. I still have three of them and they're now about 10 feet tall. They've survived the low single digits and extended periods below freezing with no damage. I also have about a dozen volunteer windmills from seed from other windmills in the neighborhood. I think the key is keeping the soil from freezing, more so than protecting the crown.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz