Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brooklyngreg

More mild rain, no snow for most of the East

brooklyngreg
12 years ago

The mild temps and the snow drought continue - ideal for cold palms to recover during restbits. Bad news for many skii locations. Although eventually cold air will sink down the East Coast by Sunday, dropping to 21 at night here in Brooklyn NY. Still, that is not a very low low, for mid January where artic-air plunges drop us into the low teens leaving our palms chattering as it lingers for days. NOT THIS YEAR - SO FAR! Amen.

Comments (22)

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

So far the forecast looks good. The cold air will definitely come eventually and some are saying that February will be a cold one, but Im enjoying the weather right now! I covered up all my palms from the rain, but I dont think they will need any of the lights to turn on (I will turn the lights on as precaution during this cold spell so that way the palms stay nice and warm).
    Many more 40s than 30s in the forecast and some nights wont even go below freezing. Its been a good January, kind of like January 2007. However, what was interesting about 2007 was that even though January was not that cold, Spring was very cold. The last freeze was not until April 11th and the first week of April had nights in the low 30s! It really wasnt planting weather until April 19th that year, so compare that to a normal winter like 2010 that brought a very abnormally warm spring!
    I hope the warm weather continues and that spring comes soon!
    -Alex

• wetsuiter
    12 years ago

It's raining here tonight but the temperature has risen to 51 at 11 pm. It's forecast to be near 60 tomorrow and sunny, do that should dry them out before the next cold snap. I'll cover the the med fans and new needles back up before Sunday's forecast low of 23, in case it goes lower.

• brooklyngreg
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Alex,

THat was wise to cover the palms from the rain. Its been great weather like a NC winter. Once the temps dropped below 24 I turn on the lights because you never know when the low is going lower than predicted.

Wetsuiter,
    Keep your med fan palms dry and covered until March, a quick freeze often hurts them if their roots are soaked.

• wetsuiter
    12 years ago

I've got them covered again after they dried out in today's mild sunshine. I'm heading out of town for a few days and another cold snap is heading here. Unlike the last one, the forecast has been modified up from 22 to 24 and now 26 for Sunday's low. I think they could go uncovered this weekend, but I'm cautious heading away. I am babying the med fans since its their first year. They look phenomenal. The new pindo was put to bed before Christmas--wrapped in bulap, tyvek building wrap and a leaf cage.

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

Going down to 20F here on Sunday according to weather.com. Not too bad, but a bit too cold for some of my palms so they will have to be protected for the weekend. But they might go uncovered again next week if it warms up enough to make it worth taking all the garbage bins off of them.
    Today was cold and rainy, but the actual temperatures were not bad at all. Low temperature of 43F and high of 48F.
    -Alex

• brooklyngreg
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Another mild rain for the mid-Atlantic!? Its sure palm freindly with all these warm-ups. Granted, 45* is not all that warm, but for cold weather palms its toast.

Hi Alex, I heard we hit 15 the other night, which for mid January isn't that bad. They said next week the temps are going to head above normal by 10 degrees and remain there. Wetsuiter, you and I will sure be glad. Haven't heard much from the Atlanta area but suspect they are significantly milder this year and enjoying it.

Good idea wetsuiter, keep 'em covered.

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

I got down to 13F - 14F in my yard, but my yard was warmer that night than other local stations right until sunrise when temperatures dropped pretty fast.

Definitely a cold rain today, but better a cold rain than a very cold snow (although it probably would feel warmer if it was 36F and snowing and not 43F with rain). So far I did the math and out high temperatures are running 5F above average this month (45F is the average high for my month this month), but the low temperatures are running right at average (27F almost 28F). The milder weather will definitely push the January 2012 averages up a little more so it will be a pretty warm month when all is said and done.

And whats interesting is that we have dealt with tons of winters with above average snow. I think 8 out of 10 winters in the past 10 years have been significantly above the average snowfall (they had an article about it on Weather.com). So hopefully we wont get too much snow this year, if any at all, but February is the snowiest month of the year, and it has been known to snow in early March as well!

-Alex

• brooklyngreg
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I am glad that we haven't had snow as well. Its a hassle in the city and makes it colder. I am not surpised by your above normal temps results and usually we should be having a couple of nights in the single digits averaged-in. Its not happening so far the past 3 years here in Brooklyn.

It has been much snowier and I was wondering what this year would be like, the temp pattern is much more cyclical this year and seems to bring showery rain on the upswings.

• wetsuiter
    12 years ago

It was a warm rain today in the mid to upper 50s. Even now at midnight it's 57 (54 in VB; I always compare notes with them for grins). After tomorrow's overnight forecast low of 25, I can let the Med Fans Breath again. Nothing below 32 forecast for the next week and mostly mid 50s for highs after Sunday.

As a side note some of my experimental sabal palmetto seedlings got fried by the one night dip into the mid teens the other week. Only three out of the dozens that grew from seeds scattered in the beds, and those three were pretty exposed and open on the northwest corner of the house. All others look nice and green.

• brooklyngreg
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I was shocked that last night when I went to walk the dog it was 52/54 degrees and so mild here in Brooklyn too. Now the north winds have dropped us off into the 30s I'm sure.

Just a suggestion. People on this site often start palm seedlings in pots or cups and bring them indoors during the winter and let them mature for 2 years before planting them in a zone that's somewhat north of the natural habitat.

• islandbreeze
    12 years ago

So far here in the burbs south of Detroit, our overall low temp for this winter has been 18 degrees, but they're forecasting overnight lows to get as cold as 11 degrees Thursday night/Friday morning. So East Coasters: Brace for cold. I'm sure the cold will move east.

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

These temperatures are up and down! I was looking at a graph that I made with temperatures in my yard for the past week recorded. We have had low temperatures down to 13F one day and low temperatures up to 39F the NEXT day! Yesterday got up to 54F (and so did today) and the maximum temperature was just after midnight last night. It got much colder after that and now its cold outside and will be in the low 20s tonight.
    It seems like the cold that you are getting in MI tonight wont be affecting us here on the east coast quite as much since temperatures will be getting better next week. Saturday might have some wintery precipitation here though, I guess we will find out if anything accumulates and we get the first snowfall of the winter season!
    -Alex

• wetsuiter
    12 years ago

Greg, I have potted ones too that are from the same batch of seeds. The "excess" seeds were tossed into my beds. Dozens sprouted in the garden and have about the same in pots. I'm just experimenting with the outdoor seedlings to see if they survive here.

• Potomactropics
    12 years ago

Get ready for the snow! I heard everyone up north is getting snow snow. Its still a wash down here with some mixing to rain (I'm still concerned if we get any significant freezing rain)

• wetsuiter
    12 years ago

Light snow forecast in early hours for Delaware beaches, but warming up and changing to rain. Mild forecast a head. No temps below 32 in 10 day forecast. Hope that holds.

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

Staring to get a light snowcover outside. Probably will have 2-5 inches before its over. At least the weather will be warm enough for it to all melt pretty fast in the coming days. Some mid 50s and night temperatures all above 30F here once we get past this weekend!
    -Alex

• wetsuiter
    12 years ago

Apparently had dusting in the wee hours, but heavy rains the rest of the morning. Rest of day was depressinly gloomy and cool. Freeze over night and nothing below freezing for a while.

• User
    12 years ago

We had about 5 inches on Saturday. I didn't mind shoveling this year--last year was a very different story. Currently having heavy rain and mild temps and lots of melting snow. Palms are looking good--Trachys, Sabals, and Needles. Even the Spanish moss looks good to go for the Spring. Happy Chinese New Year!

• brooklyngreg
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here we go yet again... mild and rain with a high of 53 Friday in NYC. Can you believe it Alex. I am not complaining and the palms are doing well. We got about 1.5 snow Saturday which was all melted by Monday. This is a southern-style winter so far.

Islandbreeze, your low of 11 is not bad for your zone and you're having a break this winter as well. The cold air in the mid west sometimes moves northeastward and sometimes the core of cold air slides back into Canada over the Great Lakes before reaching coastal New York City. So we do see some of the cold but often miss the bitter cold part. When I see temps in Pittsburg, PA for example in the teens during a cold snap, its usually moderated to the 20s by the time we see it the next day.

Wetsuiter, smart idea to experiment with palm seedlings.

NJ, you got the most snow on Saturday it sounds like.

• User
    12 years ago

Snow is gone now after the recent heavy rains and night temps above freezing for a few days. I don't mind the snow at this time of year as long as it doesn't linger but I HATE ICE. Down side is that the severe weather season (tornado season) has already arrived in the South!

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

We had just about 3 inches of snow here, but it sure melted fast. Its long gone now. We got to 54F yesterday and the winter has really been great so far. I'm Not even sure if I will cover my palms for the next 10 days! The coldest temperature is 26F and thats just one night. Every other night is 30F and up with days in the 40s and 50s. I took out a few of the more cold tolerant potted plants so they can get some sun and fresh air during the mild weather.
    Just one more month of winter left. Anything can happen in the next few weeks, but if all goes well, this will be known as a very nice and mild winter.
    -Alex

• brooklyngreg
    Original Author
    12 years ago

58 here in NYC and most of New Jersey is 60 + at 4:05 PM EST.