Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sagos water wise?

Posted by nika107 10 (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 19, 14 at 16:33

We have a sago that we inherited when we purchased our house. It's about 3 feet in diameter. Unfortunately it was planted in a very awkward place and we need to move it. We actually need to re-landscape since the house was purchased as a short sale and much of the old landscaping didn't survive that process, and we want to create a water wise, drought tolerant plan.

So in light of our new plan, can anyone tell me how drought tolerant a sago is? I've read that they need regular watering, but is it a lot of watering? We have friends eager to take our sago if we decide not to use it so even if it won't fit in with our drought tolerant garden, it will go to a good home!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sagos water wise?

Sagos don't need a lot of water, but they need more than cactus too. I guess I'd put them in the low to average range on water needs. Are you in Florida or California? If Florida, you probably won't need to water a lot.

o

Approximately, where on the planet are you located. It makes a difference.

o

I'm in San Diego. Sorry, I almost always remember to put my location, but not this time!!!

o

It would thrive there, nika107. To make sure you won't water it too much, and to make its roots rot, it's better to water it rarely. I don't have a Sago (Cycas revoluta) currently, but I water my other cycads once-twice a week now,that they're in the greenhouse and whenever is very hot and dry outside if they are outdoors, and 3-4 times a month the rest of the time (spring, fall). I also use moisture meters to be sure I won't over-water them, and I wait to be almost on red before watering.
I live in Socal, IE, forgot to say. :)

This post was edited by SagoLover on Mon, Jan 20, 14 at 13:08

o

Thanks for the info! I think we'll keep it then. We dug it up late yesterday afternoon and put it into a container. Can it live in a container for awhile? It looks so pretty...

o

It surely can. It will keep that size and not grow much bigger. Depends on the container though. Later on, you can move it in a tree box/planter if you want it to still have some grow.

Another forum where cycads are discussed:
http://allthingsplants.com/forums/view/tropicals/

And THE forum for Cycads lovers, where all experts and postings are only about cycads:

http://cycadfriends.co.za/index.php

Here is a link that might be useful: Cycadfriends

o

Thank you for that info!!! :)

o

Yw nika! Hope it will help. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here