Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mojavelove

Please tell me this isn't a majestic

MojaveLove
13 years ago

I just brought a palm home and was really excited until I read how horrible Majestic palms are as house plants. I'm hoping it was labeled wrong? Otherwise I might have to take it back...say it isn't so!

Comments (12)

• MojaveLove
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sorry I meant a Majesty palm!

• ericthehurdler
    13 years ago

yes it is a majesty
    just keep it misted and well watered and it should be okay

• tropicalzone7
    13 years ago

It is a majesty palm, but it should do okay indoors. Just mist it every so often and keep it from getting too moist or dry. It should be okay especially since winter is about halfway over. I dont know what the weather is like where you live, but you can take it outside when temperatures will be above freezing at night and you can leave it outside all summer. Just make sure you re-pot it before you keep it outside because they will dry out quickly in those nursery pots.
    Good luck!
    -Alex

• islandbreeze
    13 years ago

I agree with the above posters, misting it is VERY important, at least in my experience. The fronds start to die off very quickly from dry furnace air. They need humidity.

• don_licuala
    13 years ago

If you're specifically looking for indoor palms, the Rhaphis (Lady palms) are good and so are Hyophorbes (Spindle, Bottle).

• us_marine
    13 years ago

I think I have seen those growing outside here. If so that is shocking. I think I should take a few pics anyway becuase what ever palm it is, its nice and tropical looking :)

• statenislandpalm7a
    13 years ago

its a majesty but take good care and it will surprise you these grow fast in the summer.

I have two a big single trunk one and a small triple trunk. They do best as a single trunk so i suggest cutting down all of the trunks except the biggest one

• lzrddr
    13 years ago

more accurately, those are several individual palms there (at least 3, perhaps more seedlings on the other side?).

• christopherlacy
    7 years ago

I just picked up two majesty palms about two weeks ago, and this is the first I've read about misting. I'm glad I stopped by here.

• Robbi Robbiano
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

THE MOST OVERATED HOUSE PALM EVER - 90% SOLD DIE - - - - - BUT Keep it near a window in the bathroom this winter and it will live. Water it every 2 or 3 weeks. I grew one this way for years and would take it out on the patio when warm weather returned until one year It was so big I couldn't get it back indoors. I was able to keep it in the 7g plastic pot the whole time without it getting root bound simply by cutting out pie shape wedges in the dirt. Every other one ( 8 being total wedge areas) Its the only palm I know of that you can remove soil (and cut roots) like this. You fill in the wedges taken out with good rich soil. Practically never changing the pot. I also had the same feeling you had but read this somewhere and Ole Majie lived 10 years and was just beautiful. I donated it to a clinic waiting room. Still living.

• sallymcnulty
    6 years ago

Ok, I did the same thing. I bought to Majestics - 2 and 3 feet tall. I have planted them in rich soil and watered them. But my intention was to place them on my screened porch. There is not direct bright light but a nice filtered light. They look so good, but does anyone know if they have a fighting chance on a covered porch? Thanks for you help!!!

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner