Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marilyn_22

Sago Palm freeze

marilyn_22
17 years ago

I am new to the Richmond Hill, GA area. The house had two sago palms planted and we had a freeze. I have no idea what to do with them. Do I cut the leaves off or are they a total lost? Also, can anyone tell me when to do planting here?

Comments (8)

• wingo_43
    17 years ago

marilyn,

From what I saw on the web, Richmond Hill looks likes a very nice community. Being along the coast and not far from Savannah, you're in an ideal spot to grow all sorts of things! Check an Arbor Day or USDA zone map site for recommended planting times...generally after the danger of the last frost has passed.

As for your sagos, if just the foliage got burned, the plants will probably bounce back this spring. Try and protect them from any additional freeze damage. The vital part of a sago is the bulb-like base. If this is ok, the plant will make it. You should see new shoots or fronds growing from the bulb when it warms up. I wouldn't take off any leaves unless I was absolutely certain they were dead (turning brown, brittle).

The El Nino effect has died out in the Pacific, so we're getting back to normal winter-like conditions here in the South. Predicted lows for much of north Georgia are expected to be in the 20's tonight...I'm guessing mid to low 30's for your area. If the sagos are planted outdoors, the very least I would do is mulch around the bulbs.

• bradleyo_gw
    17 years ago

A poster on another board from Indiana has had sagos for several years, I believe, and there are several others in much colder areas whose sagos defoliate every year. Do not remove them, I'm sure they'll be fine.

• asperinocala
    17 years ago

I had a newly planted sago lose all folliage and turn yellow last year because of a freeze.

Cut off the dead leaves and keep it watered on warm days. It will come back as mine did.

• guapogardener
    17 years ago

I spoke with some very knowledgeable nurserywomen at St. Simon's Island, GA and they said that several years back they had a severe freeze (for their area) of 17 degrees. They said that the tips of the sagos were burned so all they did was trim that part of the leaf off and their plants were fine. There are many Sagos on St. Simon's Island and the Jacksonville, FL area that can attest to the Sago's ability to survive temperatures of at least 20 degrees.

If your plant suffered more than tip burn, and the entire leaf is burned, then it should unfurl new foliage in the Spring.

Mark

• cottonwolf
    17 years ago

I have a Sago in Raleigh and it burns back most winters. It always comes back. It does take a while after it warms up to shoot out new growth. I thought it was dead the first time.

If I remember to pile leaves on it, it does not burn back.

• palmfan
    17 years ago

I once had a Sago come back after minus 6 in New Jersey back in 1969 or 1970. The "bulb" was mulched. The person growing one in Raleigh must be growing a young plant that does not have a trunk that gets exposed to severe freezing weather. I doubt if any 5 or 10 foot specimens could ever survive anywhere in an eastern zone 7, even 7b. If anyone knows of such a plant, please post!

• guardianfarms_aol_com
    13 years ago

I have a sego palm that last year all the leaves got brown during the deep freeze so I cut them all off and in the spring it started to grow again just great. This year only a section of the leaves had to be cut the rest were green but the section I cut off is not growing but I do have, which looks like 2 new baby plants growing from the underneath. Are these connected to the old plant or can I try to separate the new palms to replant. Thanks for any help.Also I purchased palm fertilizer when should I use it?

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville