Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prinbama

How many Palms do you think you lost so far

prinbama
10 years ago

Well today was so nice outside I decided to uncover some of my protected palms. My Robusta was severly damaged from this brutal winter. All the fronds browned up and the spear looked pretty bad. I was able to pull the spear out :-(. I then took a flash light and aim it down the center and saw what appears to be a new spear (about 6 inches down). I took a dry cloth and stuffed it down that hole to keep it dry and put my protection back up. I sure hope it makes it. Hate to see it die after 2 years in the ground.

I also had 2 filibustas protected and the both spear pulled didnt noticed any new spear growing so im about 100% there gone (they were alot smaller then my robusta). My pindo took a hit also. About 90% of fronds are brown. No spear pull and spear looks pretty healthy.

Also lost my young trachy. Also spear pulled . Looks like ill have a busy spring removing and repotting new things.

Hope everyones palms did better then mine

Comments (12)

• Kokomo-JB
    10 years ago

Here is the state of my unprotected palms

Pindo 1: Bad sitting totally exposed to winds.
    Fronds are fried but no spear pull at all

Pindo 2: Somewhat protected from the winds.
    Fronds are 90% fried-no spear pull at all

Both Dwarf Palmettos: Slight burns on outer fronds
    All is well.

All 4 Needles: Just another day, no damage

Both Windmills: 20% frond damage-may be less, no spear pull on either

And last but not least...The Miracle of 2013-14: Eeyore the 3 gallon Mule Palm....
    60% frond damage no spear pull.

Given what I've read by others, if the damage doesn't get worse, I got off easy and can chalk this winter up as a success.

The data learned from my method definitely provides proof that wrapping may do more harm than good. Time will tell.

• User
    10 years ago

Out of seven Trachys, I lost one. S. minors and Needles looking good. Rosemary and Spanish Moss took a hit though. Loquats got hit too..., by deer. Podocarpus looking fine though.

• chadec
    10 years ago

For sure I lost a hesper palm and a trachy takil both smaller palms. Only one of my washies has spear pull. I have several trachies, pindos and med fan palms that are all brown but still holding their spear. So I think they might actually pull through. Specially after getting a closer look today. My silver med is still nice and pretty, were before just peeking in it looked sad.

• islandbreeze
    10 years ago

Prinbama- How cold did you get this winter so far?

• islandbreeze
    10 years ago

Also, if temps are above 50, pour some peroxide down in the crown of that washy to kill off any rot that might be occurring.

• prinbama
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So far this winter, temps got as low as 7f and those nights that were 7f the high as only 27. Tomorrow im going to run by lowes and grab me some peroxide.

• prinbama
    Original Author
    10 years ago

How much peroxide should I poor in. Im kinda new at this

• islandbreeze
    10 years ago

I usually fill up the crown cavity to the top. If it starts to overflow or pour down the trunk, you've poured too much. It should evaporate and air dry. I usually use peroxide 2-3 times between winter and spring until I see new growth pushing out. The key is catching it early enough, and then treating later when temps have warmed up and are ideal for fungus to grow.

Make sure to take the cloth out of the crown and leave it out until the peroxide dries up. I'm not sure if Lowe's sells peroxide, but you can go to any drug store to get it.

• prinbama
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Will the peroxide hurt the new growth ?. Also, tomorrow will be in the high 50's , you think it will be a good idea to do it.

• tropicalzone7
    10 years ago

Sorry to hear about the damage Prinbama and everyone else reporting their damage. I really hope your palms surprise you. I've got plenty of damage to report too unfortunately.
    So far I know I lost my Saw Palmetto for sure and my Med Fan palm is very close to death. I will always regret the fact that the lights were not turned on for the coldest night of the winter 3F for all the plants in the front yard. Because of it, my med fan palm is about 90% fried and one oleander is completely dead and my 6 foot tall oleander is going to completely defoliate and possibly die to the ground (or die completely). My Frostproof gardenia has some leaf drop already but I'm optimisitc that it will survive. My Camellias all look okay but I noticed some light damage on my most cold tolerant one! I have a zone 8 camellia that is currently showing no signs of damage but this camellia that is rated for zone 6 has a few leaves with some discoloration. I'm sure it will grow with no problem in the spring, but I was surprised with the damage. My newly planted southern magnolia is showing a little damage to a few leaves but I think it will pull through (I sure am hoping at least!)

This has been a miserable winter. My Trachys were well protected but with my white fence, it is impossible to keep them from overheating on sunny days (I have tried everything and I'm not usually home to take protection on and off throughout the week) so they are experiencing some burn where the lights touched the fronds but I'm hoping it survives and looks good in spring.

So my count so far is 1 dead palm, one severely damaged palm, and lots of so-so things in the yard. The one good thing will hopefully be less bugs. I have so many mosquitoes in my yard so maybe this winter is what we needed to get rid of some of them. The ponds here haven't been frozen over like this in years. I saw some people playing ice hockey on a pond this week! (probably not the smartest thing though haha)

Good luck everyone! 28 more days until the first day of Meteorological spring!
    -Alex

• prinbama
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh no Alex, im so sorry to hear that. Your right spring is just around the corner. Im going to have a busy early spring digging up and replanting new palms.

This winter is brutal. In the 13 years ive lived here ive never seen temps drop to single digits. Our average winters here are mid to low 20's(over night) with high of 35-low 50's. Every now and then temps will drop in the teens but thats just for a short period of time.

All we can do at this time is just wait it out. Hopefully the worst has past us by.

-Luis

• theseventhlegend
    10 years ago

prinbama Peroxide will not hurt the new growth. Just make sure the crown gets air so it can dry out afterwards.

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals