Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ericthehurdler

Dumpster diving score!

ericthehurdler
11 years ago

Found this Trachycarpus fortunei in a pile of dead/dying plants in the back of my local wally world (walmart). It had about 5 dead fronds and i guess the garden folks there assumed it was dead. Worked out great for me though, a quick pruning and it looks great!

Comments (9)

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    11 years ago

I have one..that was bird grown!..just appeared in my yard about ten years ago as a seedling. Its been moved,and is just about ready to be trunk shaved. Too bad Eric, so few people know that a tripped trunk Trachy looks so ultratropical. Like a beauty makeover..lol.

• theseventhlegend
    11 years ago

Nice score!

• Bob_in_AZ__Z9
    11 years ago

Wow you lucked out big time!!! Good for you!!! Take a pic of it when you plant it.

• earthworm73
    11 years ago

Seriously good find. My wife is one of those ppl that when she see a couple of brown fronds or leaves she thinks its dead too.

In my state even the garbage still belongs to the owner until it is hauled away. If you toss something in a can it is technically theft for you to take it (I know stupid law huh?). So if I was to see something like that in a dumpster I would have to wait out the garbage truck then follow it and snatch it when the truck gets to the landfill. That's prolly a easy trip to the mental ward lol.

• tropicalzone7
    11 years ago

That is a great find! Some nursuries by me try selling trachys that dont look half as nice as yours for $70! Obviously I'd never pay that price for a trachy and I dont think anyone else would either.
    Usually plants that you get for free dont look healthy and take a lot of work to get looking decent again, your's looks like it's more than ready to take off!
    -Alex

• ericthehurdler
    Original Author
    11 years ago

i know dumpster diving can be highly illegal, but it was worth it. lol
    to find a palm like this in a pile of garbage was so surprising. But after a little inspection it does have a bit of a scale infestation, nothing that a little TLC cant fix :D

• jimhardy
    11 years ago

Nice-in my town Wal-Mart is pretty assured of killing them
    all the way before they ever throw them out.

When they first opened I pointed out that some of there plants
    (they put them all in the sun in the parking lot)needed water
    because they were almost beyond saving-a few minutes later
    I heard them discussing....do you want to stock those shelves
    and then go to lunch? Then when you come back you can water the plants!!!

Glad they didn't feel pressured-all the small plants died and
    the big ones were burned up-I did find a nice Fiddle-leaf fig
    for like $7 it is over 4' tall now-LOL

• miketropic
    11 years ago

I am in pretty well with the guy in our walmart garden center..stuff is usually 50% off after he puts it in the system as "dead" which works out great for me. they did throw away like 100 hostas last year. I told them Id give them a nickel each but they had already taken them out of inventory and there dumpsters have a fence around them..REALLY nice find on the Trachy. I just ordered a gallon size one and I doubt it will be half that nice

• andyandy
    11 years ago

awesome