Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tropicalzone7_gw

New 2012 USDA zones!

tropicalzone7
12 years ago

A new USDA zone map was finally made. Heres the link to it... http://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/PHZMWeb/Default.aspx

And here are some of the new USDA zones for some cities around the country. A few of them are surprising and maybe a bit too warm or cold than they should be.

What do you think of the new map and what's your new USDA zone.

We went up 1/2 a zone here. Now NYC is a zone 7b!

Heres a list of some random cities from coldest to warmest....

Des Moines, IA (5b)

The city center and areas south are a zone 5b for the most part with many 5a pockets, especially north of the city which is predominantly 5a.

Chicago, IL (6a)

The city center of Chicago is a zone 6a according to this map. Once you get away from the city you are in zone 5b territory.

Detroit, MI (6b)

Areas along the lake shore is a zone 6b. Once you travel away from the lake, zone 6a is present.

Erie, PA (6b)

Most of the city is a zone 6b, but coastal areas are definitely a zone 7a according to this map.

Boston, MA (6b)

Most of the City is a zone 6b, however the airport is a zone 7a. The islands of Coastal MA are a zone 7a and Nantucket even has a bit of zone 7b on it.

Nashville, TN (7a)

Nashville is in a solid zone 7a as is much of Central TN.

Washington DC (7a)

Surprisingly, DC is mostly a zone 7a according to this map. Areas very close to the River (and especially areas close to the river and south of the city center) are a zone 7b. Nearby Annapolis is a zone 7b. Not sure if I agree with Washington being this cold.

Salt Lake City, UT (7b)

The city center is a zone 7b. It quickly tapers into a zone 7a outside of the city. There is a great variation of USDA zones in a short distance in this part of the country.

Philadelphia, PA (7b)

The city center of Philadelphia is a zone 7b, areas outside the city center is a zone 7a. Harrisburg is a zone 7a at the city center and areas outside the city is a zone 6b.

Cape May/ Atlantic City, NJ (7b)

Coastal Southern New Jersey is all a solid zone 7b. Many of the barrier islands of NJ are actually zone 7a according to this map. The influence of the Raritan Bay in the Sandy Hook area of NJ made that area a zone 7b as well.

New York, NY (7b)

Manhattan, Brooklyn, and Queens are all zone 7b. Coastal Staten Island is also zone 7b, but forested and hilly areas of the island are 7a and much of the Bronx is also zone 7a. Western Long Island is a zone 7b,

Memphis (7b/8a)

The city center of Memphis is a zone 7b, areas just outside the city center is a zone 8a. Chattanooga is a more solid zone 8a.

Atlanta, Ga (8a)

Atlanta is a solid 8a along with much of Central Georgia. Areas to the North of Atlanta are zone 7b.

Norfolk / Virginia Beach, VA (8a)

Norfolk and Virginia Beach are both Solid zone 8a's according to the new map. The southern Part of the Del/Mar/Va penn is also a solid zone 8a. Personally, I think VB and Norfolk are more of a zone 8b.

St. George, Utah (8b)

St. George is a zone 8b with some pockets of zone 9a to the southwest. There is also a lot of zone 8a and colder within the city.

Cape Hatteras, NC (8b)

I was expecting the Outer banks to be a zone 9a, but according to this map, the warmest part of the banks is a zone 8b. No zone 9a's in NC.

Savannah (8b)

Savannah is a zone 8b and the coastal Islands of Georgia to the south of Savannah is a solid zone 9a. Brunswick is an example of a city in a solid zone 9a.

Seattle/ Tacoma, WA (8b)

Both of these cities are a solid zone 8b. Areas along the Pacific Coast of Washington State are also a zone 8b with a little bit of zone 9a also present

Tallahassee, FL (8b)

Tallahassee is in the coldest zone in Florida, zone 8b. This area covers areas in Northern Florida that are away from the coast.

Mobile, AL (8b)

Mobile is a solid zone 8b, but there is a zone 9a along the southern coast of AL.

Houston, TX (9a)

Houston is a solid zone 9a. Coastal areas such as Galveston are a zone 9b.

Jacksonville, FL (9a)

A solid zone 9a. You have to go pretty far away from the city and coastal areas to go into zone 8b territory. Gainsville is also a zone 9a as well as Panama City on the panhandle of Florida.

New Orleans, LA (9b)

The city center is a zone 9b with areas away from the city more of a zone 8b. The "Boot" of LA around the Mississippi Delta is also a zone 9b and there is even a little pocket of zone 10a in the southernmost tip of LA.

Corpus Christi (9b)

Corpus Christi is a solid zone 9b along with much of Southern Coastal Texas. Brownsville is a zone 10a, the warmest part of the state.

Orlando, FL (9b)

Most of central Florida is a zone 9b. Not a lot of variation in the USDA zones in this area.

Phoenix, AZ (10a)

Lots of zone 10a pockets in the city of Phoenix. The northeastern part of the city is a zone 10a with 9b being more prominent in the southwest part of the city. There are actually some very small zone 10b pockets in southern AZ. Yuma is a solid zone 10a with some small pockets of 10b in areas away from the city.

Tampa, FL (10a)

The clearwater/St. Petersburg area is a solid zone 10a as well as the coastal areas of Tampa's city center. Once you travel away from the city and coast, you are in zone 9b territory. Fort Myers, Naples, and Vero Beach are good examples of other solid zone 10a's in Florida.

Los Angeles/ San Diego/ San Francisco, CA (10b in city center, 10a away from center)

All of these cities are zone 10b by the city center. Los Angeles has a large portion of the city as a zone 10b and Los Angeles even has a zone 11 by the Malibu area. The Southern Channel Islands are zone 10b/11 and the Northern Channel Islands are a zone 10a/10b. Santa Barbara is a zone 10a with some localized 10b and 9b.

West Palm Beach, Miami, Fort Lauderdale, FL (10b)

All of these cities are a solid zone 10b.

Key West and the Florida Keys (11b)

Key west is a zone 11b (45F - 50F)

Honolulu, HI (12a)

Most of Coastal Hawaii is a zone 12a (50F-55F), some areas of Hawaii are as warm as 12b (55F-60F). The highest peaks of Hawaii are a zone 9a. Still not a bad zone for growing palms, but good luck growing anything at that altitide!

San Juan, PR (13a)

San Juan, PR is one of the warmest areas covered with the USDA zone map. The city is a zone 13a (60F-65F) and there are some pockets of 13b (65F-70F). The mountains of PR are 11b (40F-45F).

What do you think of the new zones?

-Alex

Comments (17)

• subtropix
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hasn't the Arbor Society been using this "new" map for a couple of years now? I went from 6b to 7a--though this winter has been more like an 8b. The grass isn't always greener though--we have seen a big increase in damage due to---drought, heat, freakish snow, wind, and flooding. Probably will also have to deal with more insect pests and weeds. We are living in interesting times!

• tropicalzone7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The Arbor zone map is a little bit different from this one. I think I was a zone 7a with the Arbor zone Map. I think the Arbor zone map is a little bit more accurate for my area since I do consider myself more of a zoen 7a than a zone 7b.

Its true though, the amount of snow, heat, and even drought that we have had in the past few years can be just as damaging as cold. A lot of the trees here look very unproportional because of the heavy snow we had last winter and the majority of winters in the past decade have had snowfall WELL above average. But the coldest temperatures of the past 10-15 winters have not been too bad.
    This winter has been the mildest in a long time. Still a bit more of it left, but so far, so good!
    -Alex

• HardyPalmFreak
    12 years ago

This is cool!

• chadec7a
    12 years ago

This new map puts me into 7b also. I am however right on the border with 7a. With my house facing Blue Ridge parkway, its just a matter of time before another ice storm!

• tropicalzone7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Im also right on the border of 7a, probably a mile away at the most! But still great to be a 7b. Its an interesting map.

Anyone know if the warmer USDA zones will mean more subtropical plants arriving at the box stores? Im not sure if it works like that, but if it does, then there might be a nicer selection at places like Home Depot this spring!

-Alex

• chadec7a
    12 years ago

Our Lowes aready carries sylvester and euro palms. I think things would have to change to a full zone 8 to start seeing new palms. I would love to see some potted sabal palms. Or minors like brazorias and louisianas. I really don't want to have to protect a palm!

• islandbreeze
    12 years ago

I've been listing my zone in the zone box on this forum as zone 6b for years, but now I finally have a zone map that backs it up, not just wishful thinking on my part. For those of you that don't know, I'm just south of Detroit, along the water. This map reaffirms that there is zone 6b in Michigan, which seems weird to say, and years ago, no one from Michigan would have ever believed that a 6b in Michigan would ever exist. But with warmer temperatures, even the Great Lakes haven't been able to freeze, and open waters only keep us warmer and help to buffer arctic blasts of super cold weather. Like a cycle that only seems to get warmer. The last several years, we've had zone 7a winters because of a night or two in the low to mid single digits. So I think this map, at least of my area, is very accurate. Kind of makes me feel better about trying more needle palms and sabal minors, unprotected.

• ericthehurdler
    12 years ago

huh i dropped from 9a to 8b

• tropicalzone7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Chadec, thats a nice selection! I've seen the blue Euro palms for sale here, but not green. I dont think I've seen any Phoenix for sale here other than pygmy palms. Maybe they will be more available soon!

Islandbreeze, Looks like you were right because there is now a very clear 6b in MI! Its a pretty dramatic change considering that there was not one 6b in Michigan before.

Eric, It seems like a lot of people in milder climates went down a zone.
    Many parts of Florida went down half a zone and even Norfolk (which was previously a zone 8b) is now considered a zone 8a. Personally, I really think that Virginia Beach is a zone 8b. Butias and Sabals do well with no protection and you dont see that in a zone 8a.
    Dont worry about it though. It doesnt matter what zone your in, it matters what can actually survive your winters and the zone map is not a perfect indicator in telling you what can survive your winters, its just a little guidance.

I still cant believe in a zone 7b now. Its going to take some getting used to haha.
    -Alex

• bill_ri_z6b
    12 years ago

Arbor day map has me right on the border of 6B/7A. Traditionally I have been a 6B. The 2012 USDA map hasn't changed that, but we've not had below zero here for several years, and even those years were no more than one or two nights, so that barely counts as 'typical'. Any zone can get a night or two colder than the maps suggest. Miami might get a night below 30, once in a blue moon, but that doesn't mean it should be in zone 9. Same goes for here. I would say from experience that 7A is more my zone. Of course this year, so far, it's been between 8B and 9A. Only a couple of nights in the teens so far! And looking into the extended forecast, it's continuing into February. Fine with me. Snow, which I hate to shovel, is, after all, a four-letter word!

• joey_powell
    12 years ago

Very nice share! Thanks.

• butiaman
    12 years ago

I agree with what you said Alex,about Atlanta metro being a zone 8a.If you look at the map of GA.it shows everything north and west of the chattahoochee river a zone 7b.

I know this is not where the zone 7b ends.Zone 7b ends at the very far north GA.mountains.Like around Blairsville,GA.It's the highest point in GA.

Another thing about this map shows zone 7b dips down past Atlanta and Birmingham right on and around the state line.Which makes no since.

Rome,GA. which is northwest of Atlanta normally stays warmer in winter and summer than Atlanta.Heck they normally stay warmer than me,and I live about 50 to 60 miles south of there.

Take this zone map as a general guide at best.That's just my opinion.
    Randy

• tropicalzone7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Bill, 6b isnt too bad, the data they collected included the major freezes of the 1980's so that probably lowered your zone from a 7a to a 6b. But winters like this year is what kind of evens things out a little bit since it has been a very mild winter! We got down to 13F here which actually is considered a pretty normal lowest temperature for the average mild winter, but the duration of warm weather this winter is something I haven't seen here in many years.
    I think that if you get colder than your zone more than 2 times in a decade, then you shouldn't be classified in that zone. After looking at NYC records, its clear that it does actually fit that definition as a zone 7b which I thought was suprising.
    And as for Miami, the city center definitely wont go below 35F so its a solid 10b. The more rural areas outside the city did get a freeze during that bitter 2010 cold spell, but the coastal areas of Miami only went down to the mid 30s. Florida seems like it got a bit colder with this new zone map, one of a few places that showed cooling with this zone map. But the major cities of Southeast Florida (Fort Lauderdale down to Miami and points south) is all a zone 10b now and in the 1990 map, only Miami was in a small pocket of zone 10b.

No Problem Joey!

Randy, I always thought that the USDA zone map should be taken as just a guide. It gives people a good idea of what kind of climate they have, and I think the zone maps are really intended for those gardeners that dont really know a lot about their climate. Gardeners like all of us are aware that the zones dont tell even half the story. Minimal temperatures during the winter are probably the most important factor for most plant's survival, especially in temperate climates, but its not the only factor. And once you get past zone 9a, I think that the duration of heat and freezes is a lot more important than minimal temperatures. Its the same reason why a zone 10b in Miami can grow a ton more tropicals than a zone 11 in Malibu! And a zone 7b in New York and a zone 7b in North Carolina are 2 totally different climates. You wont see live oaks and spanish moss lining streets here in NYC, but you might see something like that in a zone 7b in the southern states.
    And It seems to me like some areas are a bit more detailed than others with this map. I see a lot of detail from this map in my area, but Northern Florida and Georgia dont have as much detail it seems. For example, I would definitely consider Savannah Georgia and all of Coastal Georgia a zone 9a, but on this map about half of Georgia's coastline including Savannah is only a zone 8b. And I think that some of the more rural parts of Northern Florida are a bit too warm on this map.

-Alex

• us_marine
    12 years ago

My area looks about right, z9b. But yeah these zones are just helpful guides.They really arn't very effective, especially over here in the west. Too many factors affect the survivability of a given plant. But as far as a simple zone classification to give you an idea of what may be possible in your area on most winters, they do narrow things down.

The best indication of what can grow in your area is your own observations and experiences. Probably the most useful tool or system they could try would be more of a list contructed by reports in a given location near you of what plants have been known to grow in or near that area. Along with a discription of how easy or hard they are and damage reports. If its a special case, note that it survives do to a special micro-climate. I seen something like this on Daves garden. So it can be done up to a point.

- US_Marine

• jacklord
    12 years ago

7A then, 7A now. Nothing new to see here.

• bill_ri_z6b
    12 years ago

I agree that the zone maps are only a guide. And if you can grow something, regardless what zone it's supposed to be in, then that's the test. And, fortunately, the plants can't read the maps, so if they can grow where you plant 'em, then they will. Makes gardening more interesting, too, when you try something even though the maps and books say it won't work, and it does! Example: Every source I've seen says Clerodendron trichotomum is a zone 7 plant. I've had it growing here in zone 6 for almost 25 years. It took a hard hit in January 2004, but that was a very unusual cold spell for us, and even some 40+ year old plants that have always been considered rock hardy here, had damage. One of my Rhododendrons, over 40 years old, had almost half of the growth fried. It's fine now of course. Same for my Camellia "April Blush". Killed down to one-inch-thick wood but recovered and after 2 years it was back to the way it was. So the maps are a guide, but don't let it stop you from trying what you want. Who hasn't killed a few plants along the way? Not intentionally of course, but it's part of the gardening experience.

• Tangobutt
    12 years ago

Known we were a 6b for a couple of years just from keeping track of the temps. What a great winter it's been! More like a Tennessee winter. I'm SE corner of Ann Arbor, also very close to the lake. Now I have an official zone map to back it up. It's about time! I'm going to print it and stick it right in front of the old zone map in my copy of Francko's 'Palms won't grow here and other myths.'
    While I wait patiently to uncover my own palm babies!

Sponsored
Prime Custom Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars43 Reviews
DC Metro's Award Winning Custom Design, Build, and Remodeling Company