Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
us_marine

Reflective light- Sun Lights

us_marine
11 years ago

I have sun lights. They don't get direct sunlight in winter but they are still pretty bright. They would add much more space to add to my collection. What palms should I try under them? Just remember I will be taking them outside in warmer weather so they won't be inside all the time. Summers here are long, hot and dry. Humidity will be very low. And of course I'm going to try another coco. I'm curious to see if it does better there or not.

Pygmy dates and Majesty's can be grown outside here. So I am looking for some palms that are less common and little more tropical. And maybe one day if they get too big for inside I will plant them outside under canopy or use frost cloth during freezes. I've seen quite a few King palms, and a Fishtail in person as well outside but these arn't as common.

Right now I am just making a list of palms to look out for. Many of the more tropical ones are harder to find.

- US_Marine

Comments (9)

• bradleyo_gw
    11 years ago

Where exactly do you live? There should be several nurseries in Cali that carry out of the norm palms. Jungle Music in San Diego will probably have some.

www.junglemusic.net

• us_marine
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm in Northern California, inland in whats called the Central Valley. I don't think we get quite the selection of palms that the coast of california gets. There are places that sell them, I just think they are over priced.

- US_Marine

• bradleyo_gw
    11 years ago

I used to live in Walnut Creek myself although not Valley, certainly NoCal. Unfortunately, high prices and rare palms go hand in hand. If your talking pot growing anyway, get something more tropical. Many of the tropical palms grow very fast, just get a small plant and a large pot (eventually). I'm sure you can get reasonably priced seedlings or 1-3 gallon plants for $30 or less.

• 3.2Whites
    11 years ago

US Marine, I was bitten by the allure of palms last August. Well, actually, I think maybe I've always been a closet palm-freak all these years but was put off by the same-old-same-old palms offered by most in my area. Then I met a fella named Joe, and he lit a fire, and then met another fella named Bernie and he fanned the flame. I'm new to a lot of what's available out there and have been taking crash-courses, and generally trying to surround myself in unique (for me, lol) palms.

It was about five or six years ago that I took to mail ordering; but the truth is, doing it that way always kinda scared me. Then a couple of months ago...I got the courage to actually place an order from California because I couldn't find a Ravenea Hildebrandtii anywhere nearer to me. I ordered one thru jdanderson.com which they sent me a precious gem.

I don't work for them, nor do I have anything to do with them other than being a customer who ordered one palm from the opposite coast. But since they are in California and you are in California----that's why I am passing along the info to you. Have a look there, they have nice and very interesting offerings with bits of info...and seems to be fair prices. I don't know whether they are any better or worse than JungleMusic.

Now that I think about it, you probably already know about them and didn't need to know my life story! lol. And maybe you already know about the Ravenea Hildebrandtii? I dunno if you are looking for small-ish palms but another small-ish one is the Syagrus schizophylla. Both are small-ish enough to containerize and keep on a patio for a very long time. If that'll work for you, that'd be terrific.

Well, I've got other palms that I'd like to write to you about--- just can't remember how to make clickable links (I used to post under the nic Sooth but can't remember how to access it)---the ones I tried to add for info purpose just now were blocked. It's been so long since I've written a post here.

I've been working on enhancing my micro-climate and I think that's what you are trying to do, too, right?

Well, I'm hoping you'll share palms and micro-climate enhancings info with me. :o) And I'll try and figure out that whole clickable links thingy.

• bradleyo_gw
    11 years ago

Not knowing exactly where in the valley you live, I didn't see a whole lot of nurseries that had more rare stuff. Here are a few in the Bay Area, if you're near the Modesto, Stockton, Sacramento area it wouldn't be too long of a haul.

http://www.palmislandnursery.com/ - Vacaville

http://www.palmislandnursery.com/ - Point Richmond - north of Oakland, Gary will definitely have something cool. He used to have the coolest show on HGTV, palms and tropicals in every redesign.

• us_marine
    Original Author
    11 years ago

@ bradleyo- Thats a good idea. I've been planning that for some time now. lol I know they are cheaper there. Did you grow any palms back when you lived in cali? I wouldn't be too surprised if your yard didn't have at least one palm. lol

@ 3.2Whites- Its cool. And only the last few years have I also been getting into palms. It started when I bought a coconut palm.

Not sure what you know about micro-climates. But if I wanted to either create a micro-climate or enhance it I would do this:

Locate the warmest areas in the yard. Usually the following are the warmest- Southern walls, Eastern and Western Walls, wind blocked areas that recieve winter sun, and over head canopy (other palms, ever greens, man made canopy etc). High ground and areas surrounded by asphalt are also warmer. Another good thing to do is put large rocks around the palms, they will retain heat from the sun and radiate it out at night. Won't be a lot but it can help.

After carefully looking at the unique situation you will have to work with whatever you got. Each yard is so different. I'd say one of the best things to do is make sure you have over head canopy. Hopefully its also near a wall such a southern wall.

- US_Marine

• bradleyo_gw
    11 years ago

I actually didn't own a place when I lived there. I had a small planting area and loved palms, and didn't have much space. I acquired a lemon tree, and a gardnia and I wasn't going to take out either!!! Also planted a bouganvillea, schefflera, multiple tree ferns (which were my favorite back then) and a few veggies and annuals. I didn't get into growing palms until after I got back and had my own yard. I missed the palm trees and wanted a potted one, then being the plant nerd I am, read the tag and discovered these boards. Game over after that!

• 3.2Whites
    11 years ago

US Marine, thank you for the tips! Just would like to take a moment here and say....hats off for all those working in rocks and boulders...crazy, hardcore back-breaking work, with smashed hands and squished feet. Those who have a hankering for flora (beautiful palms) and fauna (working dogs)--do the craziest things.

When you say sun lights, do you mean the same thing that some folks call sky lights which comes thru a ceiling from the roof and provides natural lighting for an interior room? And you're searching for indoor/outdoor unique palms that can handle both types of scenario....unique being the key word? lol.

Have you added Cryosophila warscewiczii to your list of potentials? I would just love one of those! Hoping the link thingy works so you can read it....but just in case it doesn't work, here is a little bit of what it says...

"This palm is susceptible to hot, dry winds, but has some good frost tolerance, as well as tolerance of low light situations, making it an excellent indoor palm. It seems totally resistant to spider mites, which are the bane of most indoor palm species. Hardiness, USDA zones 9b-11, tolerates 26 F."

Good grief it's so so so so so....I just love it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cryosophila warscewiczii

• us_marine
    Original Author
    11 years ago

haha thats how I found this board as well. Looking up how to grow coconut's :p

You're welcome. And yeah sky lights would be the same thing. And no not yet lol I'll have to check it out. So many palms I didnt know existed!

- US_Marine

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County