Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bobbygrady

sago palm

bobbygrady
11 years ago

I need help with this Sago Palm. I've never grown one but somebody bought it for me from the Clearance section at Lowe's Home Improvement. The lady at Lowe's told my wife that it had been over-watered and the water may have soured and that the plant needed some crystalized nitrogen and it would turn around. I'm cautious because of not growing one before but for $1.00, I'll give it a shot. I've included a picture, but it really doesn't show how yellow the leaves really are. What number of fertilizer is best?(Like 10-10-10) I NEED IMMEDIATE HELP WITH THIS ONE!!!!PLEASE

Comments (7)

• ericthehurdler
    11 years ago

Do you keep it indoors? they need lots of sunshine.

• Jeff_Zone_5b
    11 years ago

I had 3 Sago's, one suffered from sitting in to wet of soil and had root rot and I lost it. The second one started to go near the end of my outdoor season and looks worse then yours. Mine isn't going to make it.

• miketropic
    11 years ago

I water mine every day heavy...but its planted in sand. I would use some low dose fert for house plants in the squeeze bottle or a palm fertalizer ( even though it isnt a palm ) and see what it does for you. make sure the soil is VERY free draining.

• User
    11 years ago

Mine are in a relatively cold/chilly garage right now and have not been watered since I brought them into shelter from Hurricane Sandy on Oct. 30th.. They are in full to part sun outside for 10 months of the year. They would overwinter here outside in average to mild years but would suffer in really cold winters, and as the are large, older, and quite expensive now--I won't chance it for two months.

Don't fertilize now and water sparingly until it gets warmer and brighter. They are really easy plants BUT not the greatest HOUSE plants--they want to be outside! Outside, they may get watered as frequently as everyday in summer.

• islandbreeze
    11 years ago

I would make sure that container it's in has drainage holes, so when you water it water comes out of the bottom. Obviously you'll need a saucer to catch the water, but make sure if water accumulates in the saucer that you're dumping it out. I would also cut the leaves off of it. Not sure if it's true, but I heard that cutting off the leaves will force the plant to make a new flush of leaves. Warm conditions will also help, but I don't like my sagos to flush indoors because the new growth is ugly and stretched out. They look best in full sun, nice and compact.

Make sure not to throw it in the trash if it doesn't put out new leaves in the near future. Most of the time I only get one new flush of leaves per year, so be patient.

• User
    11 years ago

I agree with Island. I have had leafless ones recover after months of what I thought was DEAD. Also, as stated, you don't want growth now--it will be too leggy.

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

I'd tend to leave it except for making sure drainage was perfect. The plant is weak now and stressed. You don't want to add any other stress. It's not fertiliser that it needs. I don't know anything about repotting in cold climates, but it seems you need to get rid of that soil it has now. Cutting off the leaves now would only likely stress the plant even more.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES