Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cactus_dude

Chamaerops humilis var. cerifera

cactus_dude
12 years ago

I just bought a gorgeous Blue Mediterranean Fan Palm for sale at a local nursery. This is a palm I've wanted for a looong time so I'm really psyched that I found one. Most of the specimens I've seen available in the past were too large and expensive. This one is a perfect little one gallon specimen. I might have to go buy a few more. Just wanted to share.

Best,

cd

Comments (5)

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

Congrats! Post some pics if you can. They are great palms. I have a seedling of them. I only brought it inside for 2 nights so far this winter. Its seen temperatures down to 23F in their pots and they can handle worse than that!
    Good luck!
    -Alex

• wetsuiter
    12 years ago

I love Med Fans. I added one medium and two small ones to my garden this year. I also have several seedlings I'm experimenting with. I sprouted them inside, but planted them in the garden as soon as a root sprouted. During the recent cold snap (15F one night) I made sure the mature plants were covered since this is their first winter and don't know where they were grown, but left the seedlings to their own devices. All look great, even the babies.

• cactus_dude
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'll try to post some pics soon. The silver-blue color of the fronds is amazing. Even though it's a little one gallon plant I've been leaving it outside unprotected (other than being near a large mesquite tree) as lows at night have been 36 to 40 degrees.

• jimhardy
    12 years ago

They really are beautiful palms,I continue to be impressed with their hardiness too.
    I know mine saw at least 18F with over 1/2 of rain a few days before.
    North of here at the airport it was 14F.

It was only supposed to be 23F that night!

Anyway,neither of mine pulled,which is impressive when you consider
    that a T.Bulgarian,T.Nainital,T.Takil,B.Eriospatha,T.FortXWag,T.Nanus ,T.Princeps,T.Tesan did!

Click for weather forecast

• butiaman
    12 years ago

I'm was so impressed with these palms I bought 8 total.I bought one about 8yrs ago,people told me there very cold hardy but keep them dry in winter.I protected it just from rain or snow the first winter.The next winter and since it has had no protection at all.It got a little damage from freezing rain on the fronds last winter.

I haven't given any of my ceriferas protection this winter,and they have seen very wet conditions and cold down to 16f.So far there has been no damage on any of them.

I have two C.humilis(the green ones) and they haven't been fazed by the rain or cold either.These palms work better for me than any palm I have ever grown.I will definitely by more this summer.The only thing I dislike about these palms are there slow growth,especially the ceriferas.I think they turn a more brighter blue color in winter.They are worth the wait though when you look out on a cold sunny winter day and see those brilliant blue colored palms.
    Randy

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County