Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
miketropic

got a new palm today

miketropic
11 years ago

After meeting up with a member I found on here my search for the var. lady palm is over. finally got to pick up a nice one and I'm real happy with it. the pot had 20 canes in it! Anyone know the named type it is? I can take better pics if need be

Comments (17)

• bradleyo_gw
    11 years ago

That's a beaut! Hope you got a good deal, that could cost a small fortune retail.

• miketropic
    Original Author
    11 years ago

They said it had been sitting there for 8 months and they wanted it gone..got it for 60 bucks which they said was whole sale. I figure 20 a cane wouldnt be a stretch for a var. type if I ever went on selling them..ill keep em all together for now but they will need a bigger pot ASAP

• wilki
    11 years ago

Screamin' deal. I'm hoping to find a variegated Lady Palm this season. I paid $80 at a local nursery for the 5 gallon Lady Palm in photo below.

• miketropic
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I wasnt real sure what the var. forms were going for so I thought I might have came out pretty good. they had a regular green one as well...I better stay away from there awhile or I'll come home with it 2...the trachy in the blue pot..where did you get that from?

• wilki
    11 years ago

That's actually a Needle Palm from the Home Depot in Port Orange, FLorida. They were only $12.98, so I grabbed two. I'll snap a few photos when I get a chance and post to the forum.

• bradleyo_gw
    11 years ago

$60 is a steal. Around here, small 1 gallon all green ones cost $20. I got my hybrid non-variegated 1 gallon wholesale in Florida for $20. That palm at that size might have been $60 wholesale a few years of growth ago. That looks like a 5 gallon or so? An all green rhapis at that size would probably be at least $75-$100. I bet that palm could easily go for $200+, maybe even a lot more!!! Great find!

Check out this listing, 2 seedlings in one pot, 10-14" with 3-5 leaves - $60.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Live-3G-Variegated-Rhapis-excelsa-Palm-Tree-Seedling-Great-potted-plant-/160946236508?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0amp;hash=item257924ac5c

• miketropic
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I kept hearing they were going to put all cold hardy palms in blue pots but hadent seen one yet. I'll be on the look out for them now

• subtropix
    11 years ago

Mike, up here, I only see the blue pots available from about May through Summer. ( I don't remember the nursery line for these.) Probably available through mail order, but you might as well wait till Spring/Summer. The line that we see includes...Siver and Green Med. Fans, Butia (Pindo), Silver and Canary Date, Needles, Trachys, and Sabal minors.

• subtropix
    11 years ago

Lady Palms make great indoor palms!

This post was edited by njoasis on Sat, Jan 12, 13 at 20:31

• miketropic
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I am def going to keep an eye out for them njoasis. I THINK but I'm not sure my needle palm came in a blue pot from walmart but its been so long I don't remember. I do remember finding a green med. at lowes last year but that was the only one there and it was around late june..either they sold out of the others or they never got em..I am very excited to see if they get alot in or if its a dud year at lowes again.

• miketropic
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have heard these are known to have problems with scale and to die suddenly so we will see. I really think I need to either divide the pot into 2 pots or buy a much larger pot. 20 canes in that pot seems very very cramped.

• subtropix
    11 years ago

Mike, Lady Palm is EASY indoors. I have not grown variegated though. The only thing is that they have a somewhat lower lever of drought tolerance than most palms--so do not let them get dry out or they will go into a quick decline. Also, they like it on the cool side in the Winter. Also watch strong sun.

• miketropic
    Original Author
    11 years ago

its currently in a room with low light and high humidity. whatever medium they have it in the water runs right through it. I watered it really good today but most of it ended up in the pan so I'll have to watch and make sure it dosent dry out to fast or pot into somthing better come spring.

• monet_g
    11 years ago

Great find! I had my eye on a var Rhapis at a nursery here. They were asking $200. I decided I didn't want to spend the money. If it had been $60. I wouldn't have batted an eye.

I do have a green one. It came potted pretty tight. I had read that they don't like root disturbance, so I cut off the pot, left the root ball intact and potted it up in a good bark mix. I, also, read that tap water would lead to brown leaf tips, so I use rain, humidifier or air conditioner water. When I water, I pour some in and then wait about 15 mins for a second app. I have it in a north room, but place it in the window that gets the most light (west). I fert with Foliage Pro. Periodically, I do put it in the shower to clean the leaves - loves it! I have had the plant for about five or more years and it looks great, but I am envious of your variegated one.

This post was edited by monet_g on Sun, Jan 13, 13 at 16:12

• miketropic
    Original Author
    11 years ago

When she said 60 wholesale questioning the purchase kind of went out the window lol it was a done deal at that point. I think I will get a much larger pot and see if it will spread out on it own. I don't want to cut it in half if I don't have to but it is awful crowded in there and I want to promote more cane growth. I may get a green one next time im there since they were the same price. since its pouring down rain I'll go try to catch a bit of water for it

• bradleyo_gw
    11 years ago

Definitely repot and from what I've heard, plant just a tad bit deep to encourage cane development (spreading).

• miketropic
    Original Author
    11 years ago

IDK if I should split them and disturb the roots or just repot and let it go. I do remember somthing about planting deep to make them spread.