Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hazey_matt

Got a new Palm! Finally!

Hazey_Matt
11 years ago

i finally managed to track down an alexander palm in melbourne/aus.
ive had a few shipped down from the north but unfortunately never made it out of the pots as they pretty much just wilted and died.
This one i saw at a nursery and it was the only alexander there, i was a bit sus on buying it at first cause i was hoping the 3 i had shipped down would turn around but after 4 weeks i went back to the nursery and it was still there (i guess everyone prefers Bangalows). It didnt look any worse then the first time i saw it so i assumed its healthy so i bought it and now its all planted in.

Comments (17)

• miketropic
    11 years ago

looks very nice and healthy. wish I could grow a palm around here with a nice crown shaft but there just not suited for this climate

• chadec
    11 years ago

Looks like a healthy palm. Cant wait to see it at the end of your season. Keep us updated.

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

How's it coping with the heat? If it's been growning in shade up to now the sudden direct sun might cook that frond. Where abouts are you in Melbourne?

• Hazey_Matt
    Original Author
    11 years ago

i live in sunshine which is in the west of melbourne.
    since i got this palm home there really hasnt been any really hot days mostly mid to high 20's. today was the first reafl hot day meant to be 39. This palm only get morning sun directly and to its right there are two mature alexander palms that give it alot of shade after 12.30

• Hazey_Matt
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey guys, My new palm doesnt look like its doing to good. the ends of the fronds have started to go brown and some look a bit torn up. The new growth in the middle hasnt changed since i bought the palm and the tips of the it have got a bit of brown on them.
    Is this from Sun burn? or could there be some shock

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

The Alexanders are rainforest plants, so warm for sure but also high humidity. They will emerge from the canopy but when they're fairly old and tall. So a small plant like yours would need shade. Probably need to rig up some shade until at least the summer is over. Once it's a bit better established it should be able to cope better.

• Hazey_Matt
    Original Author
    11 years ago

tropicbreezent i think your right. i didnt think it would such a problem being that it only got a few hours of direct sun each day but when it gets hot this melbourne sun is pretty strong.
    i made a quick frame and put a shade cloth over it so hopefully it helps.
    thanks for the help.

• Hazey_Matt
    Original Author
    11 years ago

hey guys.
    Well even after getting it under a little shade cloth it has still gone pretty much brown.
    even blade is about half to 3/4's brown, ill try post a photo tomorrow but yeah its not looking too good at the moment.
    The new growth in the middle hasnt changed since last update, Not sure if it will bounce back or not but fingers crossed

• ericthehurdler
    11 years ago

doesnt sound good. have you been watering regularly?

• Hazey_Matt
    Original Author
    11 years ago

yea its been pretty hot recently so ive been watering every second day

• ericthehurdler
    11 years ago

with the heat you have been having it wouldn't hurt to water everyday. do you notice the soil being dry before you water?
    Archontophoenix love water and if the soil is drying out that could be why your leaves are dying.

• Hazey_Matt
    Original Author
    11 years ago

sometimes it is but most of the time it a little bit cloggy

• Hazey_Matt
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Actually i just checked it and aside from the top half inch its dry underneath.
    I just watered it and it seems to pool up for quite along time before it soaks in and even then it doesnt seem to be penetrating the soil much.
    I have a photo, its not the best photo but it shows the damage to the palm and i wanted to know can it be saved?

• ericthehurdler
    11 years ago

That green spear looks very promising.
    have you fertilized at all?

• Hazey_Matt
    Original Author
    11 years ago

just the basic manure and compost combo when it was first planted

• ericthehurdler
    11 years ago

ok good
    aslong as that spear is green and growing you are good.

I still find it very strange that there are not more Archontophoenix for sale in your area, since they are native lol. It might take awhile for it to regain its leaves but it didnt have much to start with, just 1.

• Hazey_Matt
    Original Author
    11 years ago

the spear in the middle has started to brown on the tips but it seems to have stopped once i put shade over it.
    In Melbourne its very hard to find anything that isnt a Bangalow, Date, Kentia or golden cane palm so i was pretty excited when i found this one.
    Thanks for the advice youve been a big help

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County