Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hardypalmfreak

Windmill Palms in the Bronx and in Brooklyn!

HardyPalmFreak
13 years ago

These are windmill palm in the Bronx Botanical Gardens back in the middle of November 2010. In the pictures you will see two trachycarpus fortuneis and one small trachycarpus takil.

{{gwi:1117766}}

{{gwi:1117767}}

{{gwi:1117768}}

{{gwi:1117769}}

{{gwi:1117770}}

These are the same palms after the great blizzard of late 2010...

{{gwi:1117771}}

{{gwi:1117772}}

These next photos are from the Brooklyn Botic Garden of present windmill palms located at the visitor center...

{{gwi:1117773}}

{{gwi:1117774}}

This is the huge Needle Palm located at the Brooklyn Botanic Gardens as well...

{{gwi:1117775}}

{{gwi:1117776}}

They are leaving the Windmill Palms in the Bronx unprotected for the winter and as for the windmill palms at Brooklyn, I asked one of the managers that work at the visitor's center if they overwinter them and she said no. As for the needle palm it's been at the Brooklyn Botanic Gardens for years without protection. Enjoy and cheers!

Comments (23)

• User
    13 years ago

Hardy Palm, I believe the photos of the two containerized palms are Mediterranean fans (Chamaerops humilis). Which by the way, are also quite cold hardy--but not in a container. I understand that Brooklyn Botanical had a long-established Trachy which died in recent years. It was temperature monitored and cold protected in the winter in an enclosure as I recall seeing it. Not sure why it died. I wouldn't mind adding a takil to the collection if I could find one (kinda rare I believe). Thanks for posting.

Here's a pic of mine after the recent blizzard (not protected but in a really good microclimate). This will make it winter number 4 but who's counting.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• statenislandpalm7a
    13 years ago

I saw all of these at the nybg in the bronx they also had some dead needles last spring and last spring the trachy at bbg died because it was unprotected for the first winter

• tropicpalms
    13 years ago

def Euro fans and they look like they need some h2o... very nice palms and pics thanks for sharing. -Justin in Vb

• tropicalzone7
    13 years ago

Great pics! Hope they all make it! It looks like the first winter for the windmill palms, but the needle might have been their a while judging by the old bottom leaves. The palms in those pots are definitely european fan palms and probably wont make it through the winter in pots, but they look good so far and we have already seen some unusual cold!
    Good luck and keep us updated!
    -Alex

• HardyPalmFreak
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the feed back! It's cool to know that they are European Fan palms, because I thought they were fortuneis. The manager there told me that they don't protect them. They do look like they need tons of water hahahahaha. I'm guessing that due to their close proximity to the building it creates a micro climate and the building gives off heat during the winter.

• HardyPalmFreak
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the feed back! It's cool to know that they are European Fan palms, because I thought they were fortuneis. The manager there told me that they don't protect them. They do look like they need tons of water hahahahaha. I'm guessing that due to their close proximity to the building it creates a micro climate and the building gives off heat during the winter.

• tropicalzone7
    13 years ago

So that european fan palm has survived a winter?? Thats really interesting if it did, especially since it is in a pot, and the roots are therefore more prone to freezing. If it hasnt survived a winter yet then I hope it does!!
    Thanks for sharing!
    -Alex

• jimhardy
    13 years ago

Beautiful palms for sure.

To early to call whether a palm has survived this winter,
    we are just getting into the heart of it now and it 'looks'
    poised to strike with POSSIBLY the coldest air of the season,
    definitely need to wait and see if that comes to fruition.

If you referring to the small Trachy next to the other in
    the first picture,it is most assuredly a Naini Tal judging by the
    wide leaf blades and the fact that true Takil seeds have only been
    available for about 2-3 years now.
    James at Europlams is the only source at this point seeling true Takil,
    as far as anyone can tell but they appear to be the real deal!

Finally!

• brooklyngreg
    13 years ago

Hi,

Are you growing any yourself?

The windmill palms BBG look like Med Fan palms I thought. Whoever is planting there is not too palm savy in any case.

• HardyPalmFreak
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I so agree with you brooklyngreg. Yes I'm grown many palms at a microclimate facing south at my place. Are you?

• californiamike
    13 years ago

I have a med palm in a planter, bring it in every year, it will not survive the winter. I brought it out at the end of march one year and it snowed and had temps under 32 for 3 days and it did damage. now i wait for april 15th to bring it out unless the weather is warmer earlier.

• californiamike
    13 years ago

I hope people can see this, here is a pic of my windmill in Staten Island, NY

Here is a link that might be useful: Windmill Palm in Staten Island

• HardyPalmFreak
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Nice palm! I wish I had a garden or patch of ground to plant my windmills in. *************By the way I went to the Brooklyn Botanic Garden today to see how the Meds were and guess what....they were missing. According to the manager at the visitor center the palms were covered every winter. Either she didn't know what she was talking about or they moved them indside a building or something. As for the needle palm - is was surrounded by burlap I guess to protect it from the winds, but it was fully covered with snow and doing just fine.*************

• tropicalzone7
    13 years ago

Very nice palm california mike! Hope it does well for you this winter. 13F tonight forecasted (just recently) for the area which is colder than it got all of last winter! Hopefully it ends up being a little warmer than that!
    Thanks for the update on those palms HardyPalmFreak! Is the needle palm are talking about the same one that was in your pics above?
    Good luck!
    -Alex

• tropicalzone7
    13 years ago

Good news is the 13F that was forecasted for tonight is now a 17F or 18F. Thats about 5F warmer than what was forecasted 2 or 3 hours ago!

• HardyPalmFreak
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes Alex, the needle palm is the same one.

• jacklord
    13 years ago

Thanks for posting these. I literally lived a stones throw from both locations back in the day. Brings back memories.

• brooklyngreg
    13 years ago

Hi Hardypalm,

Yes, I am growing two palms outside. Its shaping up to be a strong winter, so I am glad they are covered and with a lightbulb heat source. Our temps haven't been too low, but consisently low which palms would not like if exposed.

I am growing a butia pindo and tracky outside.

• tropicalzone7
    13 years ago

It looks like the palms will see the first dangerous cold spell of the winter this year. They are saying 13F for my area and Manhattan as well. Hopefully they push those temperatures up a little, but the palms should be happy in their protection anyway. The protection keeps them 20F warmer than the outside temperature so they may see a little below freezing on that day and they can handle colder than that. Keep all the palms covered! Only a few more weeks left before they can be uncovered permanently again!
    Good luck!
    -Alex

• californiamike
    13 years ago

Has not gotten that cold here in staten island, only in the low 20's at night, and low to mid 30's in the afternoon....my palms have been doing good in their home made greenhouses and even see new fronds coming up. Heavy snow coming tonight, up to 12 inches and cold temps...we really do need some warm days. I passed a garden shop that has a Pindo palm outside and it looks great...not sure if they protect it during the snow, it looks as if they do. I have to buy one for next summer. I know a shop in NJ that has sold them the past few years, hopefully, they will have them this summer.

• HardyPalmFreak
    Original Author
    13 years ago

When can these palms be uncovered perminately?

• californiamike
    13 years ago

i follow the weather, last march was warm, so i did it mid march, but i usually shoot for early april, and no later than april 15th