Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How close can i plant seeds for germination?

Posted by Hazey_Matt none (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 10, 13 at 21:35

Hello, Im about to try Germinate a bunch of Alexander Palm seeds and i'd just like to know how close together i can place them in the container so when they germinate theres no problems?
I've seen photos of containers pretty much covered with seeds all touching. not sure if i should do this or not.
i have the container and the medium all ready to go and the seeds are soaking.
So any advice would be great.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How close can i plant seeds for germination?

How many seeds are you planning on germinating?

i would place them at least 3 inches apart. I did a community pot for my alexandrae seedlings and anything under 3 inches the roots would get too intertwined.

o

honestly i have no idea how many i have. quite a few lol
someone gave me a big batch of them. so ill space them out.
Thats the whole reason i asked because i was worried about the roots. Thanks for replying so quickly

o

How many are you planning on actually planting? i would just germinate them all in a community pot and pick out the best looking healthiest seedlings for potting up/planting and compost or give away the rest. No use for hundreds of palm seedlings lol

o

I used to plant palm seeds in individual cells and got horrible germination. Then I heard through the grapevine some species of palms like the seeds all clumped together this system worked as now I am getting great germination results.

o

3 months later.

o

Then after they sprout I dig them out and put them in individual cells to grow out.

o

eriktampabay that looks awesome.
i have quite a few seeds soaking at the moment, Do you just sit them on top of the medium or slightly bury them?
The only success ive actually had is date palm seeds and they are all sprouting upward now. But it hasnt been that long so im still waiting on the other ive planted.

o

I put soil over the top of them about a fingernail deep. Some palms take quite awhile to germinate. I put bottom heat at about 97F for some seeds.

o

eriktampabay i pretty much did as you have done and after a week a lot of the seeds have all produced roots and theres more and more every day.
Thanks for the advice

o

I guess my heat mat just dosent get hot enough I have had some seeds in there since nov. no rot but not roots either

o

i did a little home made setup which is on a timer.
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/palms/msg122356336097.html?7
i just put a big sealable container in it for humidity and its working a treat.

o

This is my progress after 1 month.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here