Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
james760

palms left outside

james760
12 years ago

1st & 2nd pic is my queen palm planted late in the season. despite a bunch of 25*f & so far a low of 20*f this winter(fingers crossed)shes looking great besides some brown tips!pics 3-5 are some of my palms in pots left out all year to fend for themselves; a bunch of mediterraneans(5 & 15gals) pindos(5 & 15gals) windmills(5& 15gals) & 3 experimental small 5gal Washingtonia filiferas(california fan) palms!& pics 6-9 are some palms i had in the shed but brought outside when its warm like the past 3 weeks! but still been getting cold at night, last night was 27-28*f so i have to pay attention to the weather.

Comments (9)

• don_licuala
    12 years ago

Time to draw up a map and plan out the whole yard. Palms, walkways, lawn, ....

• ericthehurdler
    12 years ago

Definitely keep us posted on the progress. With that many palms in the ground it will be a jungle in no time. Are you going to plant any CIDP?

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

Nice Pics! The Queen looks great. Its very risky to plant marginal palms in the groud late in the season, but so far your Queen looks healthy!

Thats a great variety of palms! Looking forward to seeing how that would look in the landscape! I could picture curving paths loaded with palms and succulents (both should do well by you!).
    Thanks for sharing!
    -Alex

• jimhardy
    12 years ago

Definitely a large canvas to work on.

Make sure you get the putt-putt installed before the palms(-;

Click for weather forecast

• james760
    Original Author
    12 years ago

all the potted meds. & windmills as well as most of the palms in the pictures are for sell! except for a hand full that are going in the ground in spring. am trying to start a nursery in my backyard. am definitely going to plant some canarys,meds(green&blue),brahea edulis,sabals,mex& cali. fan palms & a bunch others!
    ya i was skeptical about planting the queen so late but i got 2 as a gift & they were too tall to store anywhere! so i planted 1 as soon as possibly & give the other to my brother.i think she'll make it(fingers crossed) the worst of winter for us is almost done i hope, but come spring its gettin tons of water & organic fertilizer to get established for next winter!well not a ton of fertilizer lol just water.
    Thank for looking=)

• bahia
    12 years ago

Do you actually see any mature Queen palms survive in Hesperia? I'd think even Washingtonia robusta and W. filifera would be at risk of freezing in your city, being high desert at above 3000 foot elevation. All the other hardy palms you list sound like much safer bets for your location. Butias, Braheas, Chamaerops, etc are what I would be focusing on, and especially those that will better tolerate high summer heat/winter cold and don't require lots of water to look good. I'd think that even Trachycarpus fortunei would be tough to keep looking good unless grown in shade and protected from the winds in both summer and winter. You're in a tough climate for many palms, but those desert adapted species that will take some cold down to 20*F would seem the best bets.

• james760
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Not very many mature queens but my friend has a queen next to his house(south facing) that's been there for about 10 years & counting. There's ton of Mexicans & California fans also canarys that been around here since before I was born! It's definitely I tough climate here but I think are advantage is the morning sun heats up fast on most days durning winter. We get several days that drop below freezing here to about 27-28f On good nights with some above freezing & Some below 25 f with rare days but can still count on most winters below 20f! So the palms here adapted very well to below freezing temps to which they take are rare cold days below 20f quite well. Any temp below 15-16 the robusta,filiferas,Sago & Phoenix palms burn bad but come back fine in spring.

• danny.boi
    12 years ago

Hi: I live in south Hesperia at an elevation around 3800 ft.

To be honest, it seems that since 2008 our winters have been mild enough to sustain Queen Palms although they still get a little beat up from the freezing nights and strong winds.

I swear our winters have been milder whereas in the past these Queens would always fry in the winter. But like many things every 6-10 years we get a major freeze that will certainly kill or severely stunt the growth of these palms. Back in January 2007 it was so cold (down to 8 degrees F one AM) we even lost some California Fan Palms.

I know conventional wisdom says that the south facing walls offer better protection than the north but I find that not to be the case here in Hesperia. We get strong cold southwest winds especially during cold fronts that can really desiccate more delicate plants. Despite the fact that the north facing walls keep plants cool and shaded they seem better protected from the sometimes icy winter storm winds. Queen palms grown up here in partial shade also retain a darker green color on the fronds because they are slightly sheltered from the intense sun's rays we experience due to our higher elevation.

I have 2 ten gallon queens in my front yard planted last year. They are not protected at all (away from the house with full exposure to the winds and sun) and they are still alive but look a bit tattered and bronzed. I expect them to fully recover as soon as it warms up in late spring. These things are tough. We had nearly 2 weeks in a row with lows in the mid 20's and highs in the 40's back in December and they are still ticking along.

We've had a drier winter than usual so don't be shy about watering your palm early in the day especially on the warmer days so the roots don't dry out too much. We live in an arid climate so you don't want the roots to freeze-dry especially if the soil in your yard is a hard clay like mine. Just don't water during rainy weeks.

I just bought a baby mule palm off of eBay. I just might be the first person in Hesperia with one of these. Check them out. They might be a better choice than the Queen here in Hesperia in the long run but they are super expensive.

• james760
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi danny boi,i think ur the first person i meet on this forum from may area! i also live in south hesperia. have you experimented with any other palms here? wut do u have growing in ur yard now? im going to plant alot of different kinds of palms this year & will be posting pics come spring. i think ur are the first cuz i dont have a mule palm (yet)lol! & i thought i was i only person in my city with this passion for palms.