Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chachacharlie

Coconut Palm in Newport Beach, CA

chachacharlie
10 years ago

Hey guys, just thought you'd like an update on the northernmost coconut palm in the US (and the world?!). I drove by it a couple of days ago and despite the very warm and sunny winter we've been having in Southern California, the palm looks pretty sad. It has three open fronds, that, although large, look weak and frail. It is definitely not thriving, but I hope it continues to live.
The palm is located off Pacific Coast Highway in Newport Beach, CA, at latitude 33N. It is very close to the ocean, which is good because it's been planted in a microclimate where it never freezes, but also lacks the proper heat it requires in order to prosper. Right now, it's just surviving.

Comments (36)

• patbatzu
    10 years ago

That is because of the lack of humidity plus it is a cool coastal climate. Coconut palms like hot humid places with high water tables. P.S. The northern most Coconut palms that thrive are in Azores. @ 37 degrees north.

• theseventhlegend
    10 years ago

Thanks for the update. I'm sure it would benefit greatly from some good measureable rainfall. But glad it's hanging in there.

• chachacharlie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Patbatzu, yes that was my point. Also, coconuts don't thrive in the Azores. It is way too north and cold for them. They have a better chance to thrive in the Canary Islands and even there they aren't as full and beautiful as the ones in the tropics.

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    10 years ago

No photos? Three fronds doesn't sound deathly for a California palm that is recovering. I've seen large King palms down to just a spear...and they came back.
    Three in January with the whole summer to go.

• chachacharlie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Stanofh, I've seen the coconut in the middle of summer and it looks as sad as a warm day in January. It just never looks full, if you know what I mean. Kings can thrive here in Southern California with no problem at all. Coconuts are a different story. We have a mild to warm climate but nowhere near a true tropical climate like Hawaii. I'll try to take a pic next time I drive by it.

10 years ago

I think the last photo..in September of it, it was just like 2 fronds and a spear. So,that last frond means its still growing..IF my memory is right.
    It does seem to be growing out of the super microclimate of that asphalt. It might not be getting that heat benefit rising off the road..at least not as much as when it was only a few feet off the ground.
    But,that's conjecture. It could react to the warm winter,the extra "help" its gotten from those who posted they fed the thing in secret.
    Hope for the best.

• freedomx200
    9 years ago

2 months ago I picked up a Dwarf Niu Leka Coconut Palm. Being a rookie, of course i did not do my research. When I finally started to browse, I discovered that it would be almost impossible for it to survive in So Cal. Anyone out there have any tips so that this tree can beat the odds?

Pic is a month after being planted into the ground

• lzrddr
    9 years ago

best thing is to quickly move to south Florida... should do very well there. Otherwise, build a very tall greenhouse.

• us_marine
    9 years ago

There are actually a few other coco's in socal other than the newport one, but they arn't as big. I'd plant it in a fast draining mix with lots of sand. Even better would be to build a raised bed to be safe. Plant near a south facing wall that gets lots of winter sun. Do not water at all in winter. Wont be easy but why not try.
    - US_Marine

• freedomx200
    9 years ago

Thanks for the tips. Its actually on a raised bed. I read somewhere that sells coconut palms, that to be able to survive, heating coils must be used in Ca. Anybody familiar with heating the soil? Would that kill my electric bill?

• us_marine
    9 years ago

No doubt they would be a major benefit but as far as I know the ones mentioned above do not have any. I think as long as you keep the soil on the dry side the chance of root rot is low. They can survive cool soil temps just fine as long as they arn't too cool. I can get them to over winter inside with soil temps below 68f just fine with out coils. The ones growing outside in Socal would have much lower soil temps and still make it. the problem you will run into is cool temps for too long. They shut down if temps arnt warm. I'd wrap clear plastic around but make sure the plastic does not touch the fronds. You would keep rain out and during the day temps inside should warm up enough for it to do enough slow growth.

They do over winter better with warmer soil and air temps though. I had used heating coils once on a potted coco for a little over 4 years. The palm grew faster in winter than most of the coco's I've grown. The bad thing is the coils burned up and fell apart in the soil. I did not know they had until my palm suddenly died one day. Not sure if the coils shocked the palm to death or what. I havent used any since.

Good luck!

- US_Marine

• restoner
    9 years ago

These look a bit like coconut palms.

Here is a link that might be useful: Palms in the Azores

• us_marine
    9 years ago

Those are kentia palms.

- US_Marine

9 years ago

Well,live where your winter temps don't go below 45f (lows) AND plant your coconut next to a very tall wall-or better a corner- that will reflect heat all day long on any sunny day. I bet that will work.

• freedomx200
    9 years ago

Thanks again, this has become a never ending mission for me. Just by luck, I did plant the tree along side of the wall. I think its close enough to get some heat off the walls, but it sits far enough to get optimal sunlight. I heard that because its a dwarf coconut tree, growth would be slow. Not expecting any changes, I noticed today the tree made some progress, The fronds are finally about to open up and it also appears to be two new fronds emerging from the center. All i can do is cross my fingers and hope for the best.

I will update the photo tomorrow.

• freedomx200
    9 years ago

Its hard to see, but there is some new frond development. I wish the original fronds looked better than they do now. Time will tell.

• us_marine
    9 years ago

Do you know how tall that variety gets? I been looking for a true dwarf but have had no luck. All I can find for the most part is the semi-dwarf golden Malayan type. They can still get up to 40ft. You'd be surprised how fast even these can grow. My coco went from one about the size you have now to this in a little over a year.

Your palm should recover pretty fast. Just make sure its watered well especially on really hot days. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

- US_Marine

• freedomx200
    9 years ago

That is a beautiful palm you got there. I got to do whatever you are doing because you seem to know what you are doing. This is a newbie question, but what type of coconut palm is that?
    Btw when I got it they told me it will be a dwarf, but I am no expert. I guess I have to take their word for now. I ll keep you posted and please update me with how yours is doing.

• freedomx200
    9 years ago

I forgot to ask you how u planted yours. Is it just sitting slightly above the soil? I was going to put it in a pot, but I have a Shiba Inu that loves to dig and destroy my favorite trees (Lychee) when I am not looking. So its planted in a safe location now. I believe I was told that this palm would average 6-10 feet but could hit those high numbers as you have stated.

• freedomx200
    9 years ago

Its hard to see, but there is some new frond development. I wish the original fronds looked better than they do now. Time will tell.

{{gwi:1118335}}

9 years ago

The Newport Beach palm is knock'in on heavens door,Bob. It can't shoot those fronds out any -mo.

I wonder if they replace it with a young one? It would be very interesting if another did as well in the same spot.

This post was edited by stanofh on Tue, Jul 1, 14 at 12:56

• freedomx200
    9 years ago

Just tried mulching with sphagnum moss mixed with organic compost. Seems to respond well at the moment. Since my last post, it looked like it grew a bit and there are also a couple of new fronds emerging. Cant be sure if its due to the mulch. I'm hoping if there is any advise out there to get the fronds vibrant. Thanks

• freedomx200
    9 years ago

Closer view from the top

• us_marine
    9 years ago

Thanks! I think mine is a golden malayan but unfortunately the tag never says what variety. I plant mine at the same soil level it came with when I bought it.

Sounds like it coming out of transplant shock. And those fronds dont look too bad. As new ones grow in they will replace the older ones. The current ones will not recover much but may darken up later as the palm settles in to its new spot.
    - US_Marine

• freedomx200
    9 years ago

Thanks again, without your help I may have lost my palm. My palm arrived without soil and I was not too clear on how deep or shallow to plant it. I know its been close to ideal weather lately and now I need to prepare for the winter. What do you think about those pop up green houses? Its fairly cheap and looks easy to setup and take down when its not needed.

• us_marine
    9 years ago

I've never had luck with bare rooted coco's. Yours looks pretty good. I'd remove a couple of inches just to be on the safe side though. Sounds good. It will increase your palms survival, especially if you heat it up at night. Eventually though your coco will outgrow it so it will only work a few years. I'm thinking about doing just that. Not sure what I'm going to do though when it gets too big.
    - US_Marine

• freedomx200
    9 years ago

Here is the latest development.

• freedomx200
    9 years ago

I cant seem to get the fronds to look like a nice healthy green. Too much or too little water?

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

Are you giving it fertilizer?

• freedomx200
    9 years ago

Yes I am. Maybe not enough?

• theseventhlegend
    9 years ago

How much water are you giving it freedomx200?

9 years ago

Its a little young to plant in ground. You might be better off having a potted backup,a second coco. Its in full sun...but they need a lot of warmth..warm soils. The NBC has for years thrived on that asphalt and concrete AND brick wall all boosting temps for a warmer growing season..maybe near all year.
    SO much room for experiment...even putting black plastic around it..mesh maybe,too absorb warmth.
    Here in 10a bay area? 10f too cold at night in winter..and that's just average. Mid 30's for a week or two per winter take them out even if no frost.

• idahocactus
    9 years ago

Just a thought about this coconut palm in Newport Beach, Ca. I used to communicate with a guy that grew one or 2 medium sized coconut palms in Kansas City, Missouri. He would plant them outside when it got warm enough in the spring [in large containers], and then move them into large greenhouses that he had constructed during the winter. He had them for years, and also palmettos, etc. Someone would have to have a lot of money and upkeep to do something like this.

• GreenTwilight
    9 years ago

Hey Freedomx200, how did your cocos fared during the winter?

8 years ago

The Newport Beach Coconut is just weeks from death. Its one sprayer was capped off.

Whoever owns the property isn't swayed by the placard or the newspaper items on it over the years.

There are other trunker coconut palms...but if the hobbyist isn't posting,then that tells me it mustn't look very good to his eye. Still,would be nice to see those couple of San Diego coconuts.

Even the one at the Zoo.

• GreenTwilight
    8 years ago

The newport coconut only has spear left remaining.Tight water usage may kill it during the dry heat during the summer.

Sponsored
Prime Custom Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars43 Reviews
DC Metro's Award Winning Custom Design, Build, and Remodeling Company