Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pictures straight from the tropics - enjoy!

Posted by panamajack 10b (cmventura@gmail.com) on
Tue, Jan 25, 11 at 23:16

I was in Honolulu last week January 14-24 and always make time to go to the Ho'omaluhia Botanical Gardens near Kaneohe. Although I live in Santa Monica, CA and have a good climate for growing lots of tropicals, L.A's climate is far from tropical.....you forget what the tropics really feel like (even though I was born and raised in the Panamanian tropics)....Honolulu was hot and humid, the sun was intense, the trade winds blowing and the usual 4 o'clock shower would dampen the soil with fresh, clean water from the Central Pacific...just another typical day in the tropics....anyway, here are some pictures I'm sure you guys will enjoy. Aloha!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pictures straight from the tropics - enjoy!

Thanks for sharing! I needed to see some warm pictures and I love Hawaii! Hope you enjoyed the heat as much I as I enjoyed the pics.
-Alex

o

Love the pictures! Thanks for sharing!

o

been there multiple times... best garden on the island! I must have taken 1000 photos there myself. There are about 6 other botanical gardens on the island, some nearly as nice... did you see any of them, too (Audobon center, Waimea, Fosters, Koko Crater etc.)?

o

Yes, we always go to the Ho'omaluhia Gardens, it's a must while in O'ahu. I've also been to Wahiawa Botanical and Waimea....but my favorite is Ho'omaluhia...I guess the Ko'olaus as the backdrop really makes it feel like a special place.

o

Those pics are ****ing awesome.

What palm tree is this?

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s86/cmventura/CAM_0224.jpg

o

@palmtreeguy...the label on the palm read "Veitchia SP. from New Caledonia - Arecacae Palm Family"....seeds are deep red and I managed to smuggle some back into Cali ;-)

o

I need a vacation........pronto!

o

Man,thats just plain cheating to top my palms of Hayward!
Maybe because I've never been to the tropics, I'm sort of the type that is just as impressed as seeing what I know here as borderline or house plants that are just grown to huge sizes and perfection in Hawaii as I am over what I have never seen outside in California. Some-many- exceptions to that rule for sure-flowering tree's,epiphytes, or even Breadfruit tree I havent even seen in greenhouses are eye popppers in tropical photos.
But,show those huge Monstera's and its breathtaking...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here