Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
charl_ze

Remove Double Coconut plant

charl_ze
16 years ago

Hi All,

My neighbor want to give away or sale at cheap price of the plant which has been grown in his back yard. Its age is about 6 years from seed, the longest leaves are around 5 meter long from ground. I am curious to know that if it could carfully be dug from ground without risk of dying. Any comment will be useful to me, thanks. Charl

Comments (17)

• garyfla_gw
    16 years ago

Hi
    Are you referring to the fabled Coco de mer, Lodoicea maldivica?? Or maybe a double trunked form of Coconut Cocos
    nucifera?? Either way it is something quite rare, so certainly worth the move.
    Would refer you to some of the Palm society sites on the web for info on proper transplanting. Maybe Australia palm society??
    It can certainly be done but requires the proper method.
    In Thailand you certainly won't have any climate problems lol Good luck and let us know how it works!!! gary

• charl_ze
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Gary,

I really mean a plant of Lodoicea maldivica. Refering to palm transplanting knowledge in 'Ornamental Palm Horticulture' by Timothy K. Broschat, transplanted palm survival depends on the survival of existing roots. Species in which no existing roots survive being cut, for example Sabal palmetto, are impossible to transplant until they have a well-developed trunk. My experiences of transplanting young Bismark palm conform to that knowledge. My worrying point is that if this one of the most valuable palm will behave like those of Bismakia. Charl

• steve0910
    16 years ago

I would suggest root pruning 6-8 weeks on each side. This should stack some of the chips in your favor. I've done this with bismarckia many times with younger (6-10'tall) plants. I have no practical experience with Lodoicea but I can't remember ever reading that they were particularly difficult to move. It's going to take 20 years or so to start showing trunk and I bet you don't want to wait that long.

By the way, I am GREEN with envy. This is one of the coolest palms with one of the coolest stories in the world.

Best of luck.

• garyfla_gw
    16 years ago

Hi
    Wow I'm also green with envy lol. To my knowledge the only ones growing in this area are at Fairchild gardens in Miami. Certainly worth the extra care required to move it.
    A poster here on this forum recently moved a bunch of Bismarkias and never lost a single one!! As I recall he used the root pruning methods. Hopefully he'll chime in.
    I would certainly get some good local advice on how to go about it. The Australian Palm society could give you some advice or maybe someone to contact??.
    Those palms are so unique . Keep us informed
    Would be curious as to what problems you have. Good luck !!! gary

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    16 years ago

Any chance of you posting a picture of the palm as I and I guess most other palm-nuts on here would love to see one in real life? Thanks.
    Gill.

• charl_ze
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Attached are the photos of the plant to be moved. I will be deciding to make two root prunings prior to the last diging up, each pruning will span one third of the circumferrence and each will be left 8 to 10 weeks apart. To update this will take quite long time but I will. I warmly welcome all to put more suggestion which those will benefit this job of mine. I may further try to contact one at PACSOA if there is some one.
    [IMG]http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii116/charl_ze/Coco-demire1-.jpg[/IMG]
    [IMG]http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii116/charl_ze/Coco-demire2--.jpg[/IMG]

• charl_ze
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I think I may do something wrong with the image links on the above message, it should work to show the pics as seen in some other topics with an attachment but not. But with the hope you can use the shown links to access to my photos

• dbrya1
    16 years ago

PIC
    {{gwi:1118778}}

{{gwi:1118780}}

• scaldude
    16 years ago

WOW, VERY COOL ! ! !

Good luck.

• andyandy
    16 years ago

Awesome, must it be moved?

• topher2006
    16 years ago

Very cool i love rarities !

• kitchenshock
    16 years ago

Oh man, you are so lucky. That is such a cool palm.

• peter_mjtech_minaik_com
    15 years ago

Hi Charl ;

I live in Thailand also, I have oil palm plantation in Cambodia and also grow many bismarks and others, etc. Do you need a home for that palm hehehehe??

• rhizophora
    15 years ago

Wow that palm is so rare! I think the tap root is really long, so be careful not to break it. No pressure! lol

• garyfla_gw
    15 years ago

Hi
    Was hoping this was a repost on how the move went??
    Must have been done by now?? gary

• charl_ze
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Unfortunately, Just after my first posting the plant was carefully inspected and was found that it is being infested and partially damaged on the young shoot by beettles. After an insecticide treatment I decided to leave it rest and recovery some long while until it getting one new leaf fully open then I think it could be started.

• garyfla_gw
    15 years ago

Hi
    Well keep us informed .I'm sure this post is about as close as any of us will have of actually having one of these lol gary