Close up

Comments (7)

• us_marine
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Part 2:

Fish Tail palm

Strawberry tree

Most of the bananas are still green.. hmmmmm and after countless feezes this year.

Queen palm

• us_marine
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Quick update picks of some of my plants coming soon too.
    The weather here has been odd, but so far it looks like we might warm up fast this year.

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

Great pics! Those banana plants are probably in a nice microclimate if they are still green! Plus I have noticed that the thicker leaved bananas (like Ice Cream bananas and Saba) dont show freeze damage as easily as the thiner leaved bananas do (like Musa Basjoos which are a lot more root hardy than they are leaf hardy!).

The palms look great! I like the Fishtail palm. They are one of my favorite palms! I think the nicest fishtail palms I have ever seen for myself are just past the entrance of Islands of Adventure in Universal Orlando, Florida, but I have seen nice pics of them in California too, so they do well on both coasts!

That Jubaea looks huge and the Butia looks nice too!

Hopefully this winter wont be bad for any of us! So far its been a pretty mild one here, but this cold snap coming tomorrow will be the worst so far this winter. Temperatures look like they might go down to 17F, so far the coldest it has gotten in my yard is 24F.

Thanks for sharing!
    -Alex

• us_marine
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks tropicalzone7!

From what I can tell I believe the low here so far was 25f or 26f,I'm getting conflicting reports on different weather stations so I dont know for sure. But yeah, since we had so many frost days I would say thats a pretty warm micro-climate lol. It might be z10a.

The fishtail palm sure is interesting palm. Never seen one outside of Cali though. And yeah that Jubaea is very tall.But wow,24f where your at? Thats a very mild winter for z7 :) I bet your plants are loving it :)

Hopefully we all have nice warm early spring.

- US_Marine

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

You probably ended up getting warmer than 25F because those bananas look pretty decent. Judging by the bananas plants alone, it seems like you probably got just below 30F, maybe 28F.

Yup, 24F is the coldest we got and thats not too bad for a zone 7 at all! I live in New York City. I went outside today and noticed that the daffodils were coming up! They are a good 2 months early. My palms are really liking the warm weather. I havent covered any of them yet (just finished protecting them today so they dont get damaged by tomorrow's cold). One of my neighbors planted Livistona palms in pots by their front entrance and those palms still look green and healthy! Not sure if they will still look nice after tomorrow though.

-Alex

• HardyPalmFreak
    12 years ago

Nice pictures

• us_marine
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sorry it took so long for a reply, I've been busy. Thanks for the comments :) Yeah I aint sure what the actual low there was but it looks warmer than 30f. Unless the duration of below 30f was very short. Its hard to say. Now I am curious to know what the actual low in that spot was.. :p lol

- US_Marine