Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jane__ny

Cat Palm repotting

jane__ny
11 years ago

I live in Florida (not NY). I've been growing a Cat Palm (Chamaedorea Cataractarum) in a pot on the patio for about 4 months. It desperately needed repotting.

After pulling it out of the pot, the roots had encircled the old pot so tightly I couldn't loosen them. I decided to root prune cutting about 1/3 of the bottom and slicing into the sides around the root ball.

My objective was to put the palm back in the same size pot.

I have root pruned regular houseplants, but never a palm.

Did I kill it by pruning so severely? What are the methods for root pruning Palms.

Thanks,
Jane

Comments (11)

• bradleyo_gw
    11 years ago

Unfortunately, most palms do not like root pruning at all . Not familiar with this species likes, but at the very least I would think you shocked it quite severely. Time will tell, it seems most palms do OK with a small amount of root disturbance, but it sounds like you did a bit more than minor root disturbance.

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

ditto... I never recommend root pruning palms.. they never like it and often decline from the experience.... they do not however mind having their roots crammed in a pot like that.. .just plop it in a larger pot or leave it alone. Unless there literally is no soil left in the pot thanks to the root population, they can stay in small pots like that for years. This is a very tolerant species in terms of abuse and it may not show signs of a setback at all.. but I would not repeat the process in the future.

• garyfla_gw
    11 years ago

Hi
    I worked with root pruning Queens for the purpose of Bonsai or at least dwarfing. Followed standard procedures
    never lost a one though i didn't arrive at a mature palm under 5 feet which was the goal.These have been moved to the ground and interestingly they are pushing 25 feet
    even the conjoined ones . So guess it wasn't harmful for sure lol.
    Sounds like you have little choice in your case .If it's very root bound you don't have much to lose.. Since that's a clumping type Suspect it will be good for it
    Good luck gary

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all for the information. Gary, that's exactly what I did. I basically did a Bonsai root prune. I didn't get all the old soil off but did get a lot. I have done drastic root pruning of houseplants for years due to space limitations.

After moving here, I have some plants in pots on my patio and I do not want to move them up to larger pots. I treated this plant the same way I have treated other species.

I realized after, I should have check to see if Palms can be severly root pruned.

I will report, it has not wilted and appears okay. I also hacked a large Pachira, which I root prune every few years.

If I lose the plant, I've learned a lesson,

Thanks again,
    Jane

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Gary, I've certainly had my share of heated debates on a few forums. Not looking to start any controversy, just info on plants I have no experience with! Starting to enjoy this new experience gardening in Florida. Just trying to learn the ropes. My orchids seem to be responding to the new-found warmth, sunshine and breezes. We are all happy to be out of the frozen North.
    I want to learn about Palms, and how to identify them and their culture, thusI this forum. I know my Pachira will be fine. If the Cat Palm doesn't make it, I'm out $17.00 and learned a good lesson.
    Thanks for your support!
    Jane

• tcs1366
    8 years ago

Jane -- I have the same issue you did. How did your Cat Palms do after having the wound root balls cut? I have 3 very large pots on the edge of my pool and plan to "lop" the root balls, just like I always do with my spider plants.

BUT -- they do not seem like they are in distress at all. I am assuming they have been in these pots from day one. We just bought this house about 2 yrs ago - so they could have been in these pots 10-15 years.

They are in those large nursery pots placed inside larger ceramic pots.

any input would be great.

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Funny to see this old post reappear.

Tcs, my Cats (2) did very well. The first one, which was the topic of the original post, never missed a beat. It began making new growth and is now twice the original size and will need repotting this Spring.

When I saw the results, I did the same thing to a second Cat Palm with the same results. Neither lost a single leaf. Both have doubled in size.

So, I don't know if my experiment was pure luck or these Palms actually benefit from root pruning. I'll post a pic of them tomorrow.

Jane

• tcs1366
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Thanks... actually - i did a google and your post came up, thankfully I had an old GW userID. I'm done in central FL now and the Cats are pretty big... I do not even know if there is soil in the pots, so I plan to remove them from the pots and chop the root ball and repot them back up again with fresh soil. Was planning on Feb or March - after winter, if we ever have it.

Terese

• mesembs
    8 years ago

Hello!

I would generally try to stay away from pruning a palm's roots, but I am glad it did not seem to greatly affect your palm!

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    8 years ago

It did not harm them nor slow their growth at all. I root pruned two Cat Palms. I know it is against the advice given, but it did not affect them at all. Guess it was luck!

Jane

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm