Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New sabals

Posted by miketropic 6B - 7 (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 9, 13 at 0:27

I got these in the mail a few days ago from a member on a differant board

this larger one is in a 5 gallon pot a sabal minor "cape hatteras" the other is smaller in a 3 gallon pot and is a sabal minor " birmingham" both are 5 years old so the growth rate on the cape version really speaks for itself

"cape"

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New sabals

"birmingham"

o

I have several Sabal minors, about 9 or 10. They were on the place when I bought it so no idea of age. But from my knowledge of the perevious owner I suspect they were planted the same time. There's quite a range difference in their sizes now. The place has been mine about 8 years.

o

I always thought that Birmingham is a form of Palmetto, not minor. Unless he is mistaken about the identity of his palm, Mr Denton of Pungo Palms in Virginia Beach has a Birmingham that is about 20 feet tall.

o

Nice palms-best of luck with them...

Click for Fairfield, Iowa Forecast

o

Birmingham is sort of a mystery. Theories place it as a hybrid between palmetto and a minor. But agree, it's not a sabal minor type.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here