Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carsoncitypalms

Wahingtonia Filibusta growth rate

carsoncitypalms
10 years ago

This is my Washingtonia Filibusta (Mexican Fan Palm x California Fan Palm) that I purchased on eBay.

It took one week for it to get here ((FedEx SmartPost SUCKS! lol)). I was afraid that it was not going to make it, because our lows were in the low 20s for that whole week.

This post is experiment (like my palms) and is here as an informational document for others who are interested in the specifications of the filibusta. Such as growth rate, watering, lighting, soil, fertilizer, etc..

:___[Conditions]___:

TEMPERATURES:
12 to 18 hours of (85F - 90F).
6 to 12 hours at (70F - 75F).
Occasionally outside when temps reach (50F - 65F).

WATERING:
I have only watered this palm two (2) times since I got it, to let the roots do their thing.

LIGHT:
Full sun (when I can) / Indoor natural light + Artificial lighting.

SOIL:
Miracle Gro Moisture Control.

GROWTH RATE:
I am seeing extremely fast growth rate while my palm is exposed to temps of 80F+, and I am experiencing a moderate to slow growth rate when the palm is exposed to outside conditions or the temperature is between (50F - 70F)

*** PLEASE EDUCATE ME ***
I'm new to gardening. I know nothing about fertilizer other than the fact that it gives the plant nutrients. Is this fertilizer OK for my palm, or... Should I stop using it?

FERTILIZER:
(13-4-5)
"Total Nitrogen (N)* = 13%
2% nitrate nitrogen
2% urea nitrogen
2% water insoluble organic nitrogen**
7% water insoluble nitrogen
Available Phosphate (P2O5)* = 4%
Soluble Potash (K2O)* = 5%
Derived from: ureaform, triple superphosphate and potassium nitrate.
Chlorine (Cl) not more than = 0.2%
The nitrogen, phosphate and potash materials in this product provide 8.5% occluded slow release nitrogen, 3.7% occluded slow release available phosphate, and 1.1% occluded slow release soluble potash.
** 2% slowly available nitrogen from ureaform."

The pictures below indicate exactly how fast my palm is growing. They are all marked with a "Time Stamp". Thanks for looking!

Photo Taken: February 10, 2014

This post was edited by carsoncitypalms on Wed, Feb 12, 14 at 7:15

Comments (5)