Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mastiffhoo

Windmill

mastiffhoo
12 years ago

What a wonderful winter, huh? Looking at the low temps thus far, the lowest we got was 17 and we only got into the teens 3 times. So, that is essentially a zone 8b winter. Even after the one snow we had, the temps rebounded to about 50 the next day and upper 50s the day after.

I have noticed my larger windmill has already started pushing a new frond. This is by far the earliest this has happened. Usually I am dealing with either spear pull, which greatly delays growth till later in the spring or colder temps. I am VERY excited to see what kind of growth my palms will have this season.

In addition, I am very interested to see how my lantanas will respond to such a mild winter.

Anyone else excited?

I think the only downfall is "they" say bugs will be worse this year.

Comments (8)

• chadec7a
    12 years ago

I am with you. I have several trachys pushing out new fronds. Even my weeping willow put out leaves already. I am showing very little damage to any of my agaves and even my golden ball cacti made it!

• jimhardy
    12 years ago

Although I am not convinced yet that some nasty surprise awaits us in the form of ridiculous cold.....

I am very pleased with the way everything looks.....what scares me is how fast this stuff will grow with no damage(-:

Click for weather forecast

• wetsuiter
    12 years ago

My large windmill has had a frond that was partially open in the fall and it's been opening slowly during the entire mild winter. It is noticeably more open in recent days and now my largest med fan has a spear beginning to open.

Jim, you're going to need a second mortgage to build larger winter homes with how they're going to grow.

• User
    12 years ago

Yes, this month is now going down as the warmest February EVER in much of the NJ/NYC Area. My Spanish Moss, planted in a strand of Hemlocks, is still alive (you can tell because it turns green when wet).

Question, do you think I can plant a Trachy palm at this time or should I wait? Extended forecasts for the next week are above freezing.

• chadec7a
    12 years ago

I planted in march last year and they got snowed on in April. So be prepared if you do. I think this year I will wait till April and plant my sabal Louisiana seedlings.

• User
    12 years ago

Snow alone should not hurt it but bitter cold would--like the kind of cold lacking all winter. I will probably wait till the weekend, check the extended, and cover if the weather turns freaky cold at this point.

• wetsuiter
    12 years ago

Wait til the ground warms up more. April would be the optimal time.

• jimhardy
    12 years ago

Nj

What are your soil temps like???

I planted a Princeps and McCurtain a week ago so....

not the person to ask!(-;

If the soil temps are under 55F I would plant it and not water it yet,if you want to.

I will let you guys know how they do...I really thought
    the Princeps would pull and the McCurtain might burn
    on the tender new growth from inside...not yet though.

I think you would have a better cahnce by leaving it out for
    a week or so to let the leaves adjust to sun(if need be)
    and the roots will not be surprised by lower temps suddenly.

I put mine outside for about a week first.

good luck

Take some pics!

Click for weather forecast