Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When do you start feeding you outdoor Trachy palms?

Posted by njoasis 7 (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 26, 11 at 7:52

When should outdoor Trachy palms start to be feed? It was a bad winter and they look poor but the buds are firm and green so hope they will be okay. They are in a bright, southern exposure. Do you wait for certain temperatures, month, new growth or something else to commence the feeding season. Also, anyone have opinions on those slow release fertilizers (such as PalmTone).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When do you start feeding you outdoor Trachy palms?

I wait until mid april when the weather is mild and there arent any more freezes. I dont think you should give them their first fertilizing later than early June because they get a lot of growth started earlier than that so you dont want to miss out on helping that growth along.

o
RE: When do you start feeding you outdoor Trachy palms?

The first thing I do is hit them with some Epsom salts and then some K,once the soil temps are well over 50(F) at 4".

As the soil temps approach 60(F),I try to coordinate their first feeding with a nice rainfall and some sunny warm weather.

This rather then going by the time of year-I don't think Palms roots can really absorb the fertilizer until soil temps are above 50(F) anyway.

Click for Fairfield, Iowa Forecast

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here