Feb 2008

Comments (22)

• palmshaun
    16 years ago

Looking good David!

• david_
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you I hope you all don't mind all my pics (Smile)

• Central_Cali369
    16 years ago

What kind of palm is that?

• david_
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Coccothrinax sp Mother plant was C.argentea and I'm not sure the daddy.

• topher2006
    16 years ago

gorgeous !

• jimhardy
    16 years ago

Yea,we mind,howabout s'more!Please!

• david_
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Adonidia merrillii
    before 2006

After 2007

Carpentaria Before 2005

After 2008

• topher2006
    16 years ago

David pardon my language but D_mn you got some
    kick a$$ palm trees !

• trishmick
    16 years ago

Sun and warmth are the best fertilizers. Back around Christmas, we visited my in-laws in Cape Coral. Among the "chores" I accomplished, was the removal and transplantation of what I assumed was a Queen that had suddenly appeared the year before dangerously close to their lanai. A neighbor had chopped it down almost to the ground 6 months prior, but it grew back at an astonishing rate. Was a hell of a job getting it out let me tell you, but I finally managed, and then placed it down by their dock. Have not asked if it survived or not since we've been back (I did a number on the roots), but that Florida weather means it's got a puncher's chance I'd say.

• kitchenshock
    16 years ago

Very nice david. The carpentaria is a great fast growing palm. I love them for that reason. I have a 35' one that I have several babies that grew from seed droppings under the parent tree. It looks like you have a lot of land to plant those gorgeous palms. Do you have any landscape plans. I am working on creating a true jungle in part of my yard with a canopy and true understory. A buddy of mine did this and it was spectacular.

Regarding the Adonidia, are you at all worried about lethal yellow? I have never seen LY on an Adonidia but apparently they are very susceptible to it.

BTW, I think pictures are great. I am surprised this forum does not have a gallery. Here is one of my favorite trees in my yard (caryota no), sadly it will die in the next 10-15years:

trishmick, the only common palm I know of that you can cut to the ground and have it grow back is Sabel etonia (Scrub palmetto). They grow very fast and are weeds in Florida. My landscapers are continually cutting them down to only have them come back even stronger in as little as 4 weeks.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sabel Etonia

• orchiddude
    16 years ago

David...love the pictures. Post all you want. I really like the Adonidia merrillii, I have 3 but they are still less than 2 foot high. I can hardly wait until they get half as big as yours. Your look great. I like you palm area too.

Does the Carpentaria grow pretty fast? I think I want one of them, maybe 2.

I will have some Dicksonia antarctica tree fern soon, be glad to send you one later this spring, if you want to try that also.

Rob

• jimhardy
    16 years ago

You guys are on your way to making this thread a picture gallery!Post all you want or don't want the pictures are great! I've been looking at snow and walking on ice for over 2 months,its 10F now and maybe 30F tomorrow and thats a warm day! So keep those pictures coming PLEASE!

• joey_powell
    16 years ago

Guys I have a seven-foot Adonidia Merreli (triple) that I picked up on a trip to Homestead back during the first week of December. I too have heard they are highly susceptable to Lethal Yellowing disease. Does anyone have any suggestions for proper care to avoid this?

• david_
    Original Author
    16 years ago

orchiddude Yes maybe we can make a trade. joey_powell the odds of your palm getting lethal yellowing is not very good. I have never seen it here and hope I never do. I am 55 miles inland so we are somewhat sheltered here but of course are not totally protected. Thank you for all the comments. Ill try to get more photo's.

• oppalm
    16 years ago

thanks for sharing those pictures David. I love the triple adonidia. The caryota is stunning. nice work.

• kitchenshock
    16 years ago

orchiddude, they grow extremely fast, especially if you keep them fed. Below is a picture of the two I started with and all their babies. Those babies are 2-3 years old and grew from the incredible amount of seeds these trees drop. Of course its hard to tell how a cultivated palm will grow in each environment.

jim, I feel for you bro. I guess each of our climates has its drawbacks. I know I fear Hurricane season like you don't know. All my hard work can be devastated in a few hours.

joey, they have an antibiotic that can be given to the tree but its a temporary fix. I believe in keeping my palms well fed and treated at the first sign of problems, however, I don't know if that really provides any deterrent. I know I check my coco's anytime I see seeds on the ground.

• orchiddude
    16 years ago

Thanks Kitchenshock....I will have to check this out. I need a few of these.

• david_
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Its raining here today so I cant take pics.A few palms I have in the ground.
    Dypsis leptocheilos x decaryi

A.alexandrae triple next to foxtail

Phoenix roebelenii
    {{gwi:1119528}}

• andyandy
    16 years ago

Way to go everybody. Some day it will be warm and sunny here again. At lease we have full sun today for a change (and it isn't 7 out)My zone 9-11 palms will be getting into the 70s today with all of this sun.

• david_
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Copernicia berteroana

Copernicia alba

Copernicia baileyana

And last but not least Bismarkia noblis

• topher2006
    16 years ago

Wow that bismarck has a cool color !

• kitchenshock
    16 years ago

Very nice! The Bismarkcia is one of my favorite palms. They look so awesome even when they are small.