Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
islandbreeze_gw

Butia hardiness

islandbreeze
11 years ago

I have a small butia, probably a 7 gallon size, about 3-4 feet wide, newly planted last spring. What is the coldest temp I can expect this palm to take and not show damage?

Comments (9)

• jimhardy
    11 years ago

Depending on the conditions,they can take down into the teens when young
    but probably not to much more.

Mine has handled down to the upper teens with no damage...usually.

It did pull for the first time(year before last)from temps in the upper
    teens or so,that was preceded by rainfall in November if I remember correctly.

• User
    11 years ago

They do not like cold and wet, so if you coud keep the rain, snow and ice off, it would be a big help. Guessing it can go down to about 10 f. (Zone 8) if kept dry.

• islandbreeze
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks guys. I do have it wrapped and covered, but I've been turning the heat (lights) on when temps hit about 18. I wasn't sure on the hardiness, so I figured better safe than sorry. Just would rather not have to turn the lights on if it can handle temps lower.

• Kokomo-JB
    11 years ago

I would mulch again and think about adding potassium. Good luck and would love to see a picture of it when you open it up in the spring.

• jimhardy
    11 years ago

The only issue with letting it get colder is if there is moisture in the enclosure-you can get into trouble with spear-pull.
    This may have happened with my Washy but the thermocube keeps it above freezing all winter....

• tropicalzone7
    11 years ago

My Butia saw 15F this winter with protection and got pretty badly damaged. Last winter it saw 12F with overhead protection but no heat and it was severely damaged. They are hardy into the mid teens but the catch is that the duration has to be short and they cant be exposed to too much winter moisture!
    I hope my butia survived the winter, if not I'm probably going to be done with Butias for a while and give another palm a try.
    -Alex

• Kokomo-JB
    11 years ago

Alex:

What method of protection did you use to protect your Butia?

• tropicalzone7
    11 years ago

I protect my Butia with christmas lights, a frost cloth, and a plastic garbage bin. It usually works really well, but this year I used energy efficent christmas lights (I didn't know they were energy efficent until after I bought them) and they did not generate a lot of heat.
    With good christmas lights you can keep the palms 20F warmer than outside with this protection method.
    Good luck!
    -Alex

• wetsuiter
    11 years ago

I'm with you Alex. If my pindo continually needs winter protection and still gets damaged, I'll be done with them too and find something better for my zone. It was very frustrating being in Virginia Beach the past two days and seeing how big they grow there and all the seedlings naturalizing beneath the parent trees. VB is only a 2 hr 40 minute drive south of me. Very frustrating.

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals