Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ganoderma zonatum (Palm Butt Rot)

Posted by ken_ny Z10FL (kenr64@comcast.net) on
Sun, Feb 27, 11 at 9:55

I am looking for any information about infected palms in SE Florida. I am particularly interested in infected Foxtail Palms but would like to hear about any infected palms other than Queens.

Foxtails have been reported infected in Sarasota

http://lee.ifas.ufl.edu/Hort/GardenPubsAZ/April-June2010.pdf

more info about ganoderma

http://prohort.ifas.ufl.edu/files/pdf/publications/Ganoderma.pdf

Thanks!

Ken

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ganoderma zonatum (Palm Butt Rot)

This may be a re-hash of the information of your documents but I find it to be useful.

Here is a link that might be useful: ganoderma

o

Steve - I've read that. Here is some correspondence I just had with University of Florida IFAS

Have their been any documented cases of ganoderma butt rot affecting foxtail palms in SE Florida?

Are there any palms that are definitely resistant to ganoderma butt rot?

I am in the process of removing three queen palms (1 dead, 1 dying and 1 just beginning to show signs) and am trying to intelligently decide what course to take as well as be prepared to deal with my HOA.

Dear Mr. Rossman,

Yes, Ganoderma butt rot has been observed on foxtail palms. At this point in time, we consider ALL palms susceptible to this disease. Below is the link to the fact sheet on this disease. If you have any questions have reviewing it, I would be happy to answer them for you.

Ganoderma Butt Rot: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/pp100

Regards,

Monica

Monica L. Elliott, Ph.D.

Professor and Interim Center Director

University of Florida IFAS

Fort Lauderdale Research and Education Center

3205 College Avenue

Fort Lauderdale (Davie), FL 33314

o
White Bird of Paradise & Ganoderma

Just lost a Queen Palm to Ganoderma & would like to replace it with something that will grow fast and without fuss. Would like to consider either a clump of White Bird of Paradise or a clump of Yuccas. Are these plants resistant to the spore/fungus?

o

It seems only palms are affected by this so you should be good if you plant any of those plants. The Yuccas will be more hardy than the Bird of Paradise(and you have the ability to prune the yuccas back if they get out of control which is a big plus). You will probably never have to care for it other than giving some fertilizer and water when newly planted so it can take off and grow well!
Good luck
-Alex

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here