Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brooklyngreg

This year is much milder than last year

brooklyngreg
12 years ago

Its hard to believe we had this much snow in one storm.

Comments (19)

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

I could barely see my street from my front door with the 6 foot tall piles of snow on the lawn this time last winter. What a change this winter has been. I dont think I have even touched snow in a year, the last snow we got a good 2 weeks ago melted the next day and we got less than 3 inches by my house. No snow in the forecast and the coldest night in the 10 day forecast is only 28F, not bad for early Feb!
    -Alex

• chadec7a
    12 years ago

I haven't seen a flurry a year. Our lowest temp in the next few will be 30F. We have only had 2 nights below 20F. Its the never ending rain that's got me worried. right now everything looks great. But will it eventually rot?

• brooklyngreg
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Its been a very good winter for NC, I didn't realize you were getting so much rain. You can cover the less water-tolerant plams like butia yatay, med fans, etc with plastic.

• wetsuiter
    12 years ago

Funny. We only had one 8" snow at Christmas last winter. You guys got dumped on. This year, we missed out on October's freak snow and so far, only two minor dustings. But the lowest temp this year 15, was actually colder than last year's 17.

• palmcitrusbananava
    12 years ago

Lucky!!!! We didn't get anything this year in Va Beach!

I didn't cover anything!

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

Places south of Philadelphia really missed out on last years snowstorms. Its not because you were too warm for snow, but the storms just never really hit your area. NYC was the target just about every time last year and there was A LOT of moisture and cold available. This year there has been moisture, but not cold and we have gotten virtually no snow at all. My palms have not been covered much this winter and its been about 2 weeks where they have not had any protection. They spent a majority of the winter with no protection and so far they are doing really well! The livistona has some bad frond burn at the ends, but the center is green so it should make a come back when the warmer weather returns.
    -Alex

• User
    12 years ago

I agree, been a gorgeous Winter! February can be such a dreary month but it,s been day after day of sunshine and blue skies. I don't mind the subarctic cold of normal Zone 7 Winter but don't like day after day of overcast skies. It may be my imagination , but tempoeratures aside,, it seems Winters in the NJ/NYC Metro Area are such sunnier than they used to be years ago. Down side, wonder if we are headed for drought come Spring.

• pj_orlando_z9b
    12 years ago

wow, you guys really did get it last year! We got about 7" total last winter here in Maryland. I guess it was a year of Miller B storms. We never get those. Miller A's usually bring us the 12"+ snow totals. Glad this year is much better for all of us!

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

Usally here a lot of snow is 6-12 inches, but the past few years have brought big storms with over 12 inches and now we almost expect them. If you look back at records, I think 70%-80% of the winters in the last decade had snowfall that was significantly above average even though some of those winters were not very cold.
    But this winter has been great because its been mild and snowless. We got 3.0 inches of snow with one storm a few weeks ago and the October snow storm brought about 2.1 inches so counting that we have gotten only 2 storms that have brought any snow and a total of 5inches of snow so far this year! Its been pretty great. And the forecast is looking even better now with the coldest night for the next 10 days being only 29F and several days getting into the 50s and others getting very close!

Hope the mild streak continues!
    -Alex

• User
    12 years ago

I couldn't resist any longer, I dragged a few of the big palms out of the garage/winter greenhouse and hosed them down (mostly Canary Dates, an 8 foot plus Roebellini, and a few Butias). I did suffer the loss of a few palms out there over the 'winter' (an Areca--Dypsis, one of the Chinese fans, and the sea grape)--due mostly to dehydration I think. Everything else is looking good--cycads, citrus, queens, Meds, oleanders and the tropical fruits (Glenn Mango, Ruby Red Guava, Canibbean Avocado and Basjoo bananas. I watch the temps closely but there's a really good microclimate in back of the house with full-day, direct sun. Once it starts getting warmer and sunnier it's very hard to keep up with their watering needs in the garage--much easier to hose everything down outside and risk some minor chill damage. (It was a two car, loft garage--maybe a barn originally, but i replaced the due south facinig garage door panels with glass and it's been a great success. But I agree, extended temps seem to have moderated so that my hardier palms be able to enjoy at least several days of fun in the sun.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    12 years ago

Hello Everyone!!!

Say "hello" to Penny for me greg!!!

I also set a few trees outside to Enjoy the sunshine... brought them in at night because the temps drop to close to freezing at night here in VB. Rain this weekend did help with adding to the rain barrels, but im ready for spring!!!

These different temps have everything going crazy... the WeEping Willows are blooming and the Forsethia as well as the others are trying to bloom. Cherry trees etc.

I have this awful feeling that Feb and March have a few surprises for us. I hope im wrong, but it seems so strange..

Believe me, i want this to continue, but i have lived here to long to know that all i have to do is to close my eyes and it will change!!!

Hope all is well..

Great thread Greg!!!

LAURA

• brooklyngreg
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Laura,
    Penny sends a warm hello back:) She really is as sweet as she looks. How did Justin make out with all those palms he planted? I haven't heard much from him in awhile. PS. So far there's not any real terrible cold forcast in our ten day outlook.

NJOasis, I think Alex would agree with me, yes Laura in VB can place some plants outside, but its not advised for us up here in Zone 7. One Feb very cold nite can kill - our nights are still pretty long and one unpredicted drop and ....
    Hi Alex, I think that picture was a bitter reminder..LOL.

• User
    12 years ago

Brooklyn, I did not mean to imply that I have dragged them out for the season!--Only a few days and to have an opportunity to really hose them down. We are not expected to drop below 32 F for a couple of days. My Butias are already back inside. Now have out the Canary Island palms--they are big. But I can't really give them a good watering inside so they get wheeled out a few times over the course of the Winter.--I have several of them as they grown from seed I planted. --Usually I get the Canary Dates, and the Sagos out for the season by some time in March as light frosts do not harm them as they would other more tender species. Maybe tomorrow I will get the strength to get the Queens out for a watering as we are expecting temps into the 50's.

• brooklyngreg
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi NJ,
    The Queen palms sound heavy. Post a pic. Glad to hear that you bring them in during cold spells. I move my needle palm and sabal out as well when the temps permit. In the winter, most palms should be under-watered until moved outside, I would not soak them until they can come outside in the Spring. Soaking causes too much growth when there's much less sun to green new growth up. My canary palm taught me that:)

• User
    12 years ago

My Canary dates are not overwatered. This winter they came in late (some time in December). Since this time, most have only been watered once. Once date palm leaves start to fold, they want water. Also, they get direct, winter sun in that garage as the garage doors are glass and face due south. Also, when you water palms, you should water deeply and thoroughly--otherwise you are just encouraging surface roots. Yes, the Queens are tall but their containers are very light--using those mock ceramic planters or large plastic tubs from HD. Bought a bunch of them at a good price (in a pleasant marine blue/gray color). I can post a picture of the Queens once they get for the season--some time next mouth if the weather stays on course and the groundhog is right.:) It is actually a lot harder to move the Canary palms--prickly, big, and wide. When it really comes time to moving them out for the season, it's not really that hard. I just lift the garage doors and move them out a few feet--dollies and bungees help. I can't wait to get them out!
    Are you going to keep the Needle containerized? (Mine are planted out on the south side of the house for their second winter.)

• butiaman
    12 years ago

Greg,
    It's been so warm here all the trees are starting to bloom.The Daffodils are already up and blooming.I like it!I've never kept my potted palms on my front porch all winter like this winter.I wish this was the norm.
    Randy

• brooklyngreg
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I hear you butia. I'm sure your having a great winter and I've been noticing Georgia has had some nice warm-ups. My Yatays are growing growing growing!!! So far this points to an early Spring. As the warm cycles move into March I expect we'll see 55-60 up in NYC by me and 70 by you.

• User
    12 years ago

My camellias are blooming their heads off today, bulbs are coming up, the Forsythia has bloomed on and off since December, and the grass is greening. There is a planting of Canadian Hemlock in the back and they are host to the Spanish Moss (Tillandsia). I think the canapy of Hemlock must create a bit of a protected microclimate and this year the moss is looking good. When I dip it into water, it's a rich green color so assuming that it's alive. Arctic airmass comes in for the weekend but not extreme cold and then it gets milder again and temps near or above freezing in the forecast in the extended. (Minimum has been about 15 F. in the open this season.)

Here is a link that might be useful:

• wetsuiter
    12 years ago

My camellias have been blooming non stop since first week of December, although some blooms burned with the short mid January cold snap. It bounced right back and has been blooming since. Camellias all over town have followed suit.

Saw lots of daffodils blooming over in Rehoboth Beach the third week of January and are STILL blooming. Crocuses in my garden started blooming last week. I actually saw galardia blooming in a very protected spot in Bethany Beach. Have has no snow accumulation, just two minor dustings and no high temps freezing or below.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting