Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
butiaman

What's the best way to germinate Trachy seeds

butiaman
12 years ago

I'm getting 100 Trachycarpus x Wagnerianus seeds in a few days.I've germinated Butia seeds and Sabal seeds before.I've read that Trachycarpus seeds can be hard to germinate.I don't have a Heat Mat or a Greenhouse.What are some ways any of you have germinated Trachy seeds?Without a Heat Mat or greenhouse.

Thanks,Randy

Comments (13)

• jimhardy
    12 years ago

I just put them in a large zip lock bag of moist perlite
    or sphagnum moss or a mixture..as long as it's sterile.

• wetsuiter
    12 years ago

Put them in your hot water heater closet or on top of your fridge. Some place warm will help.

• butiaman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks,
    I've read up on the technique both of you are talking about.I never understood this way of germinating seeds.I felt the top of my fridge and it's cool to the touch,not warm at all.So I tried my water heater.It's located in the basement and is just barely warm,it's not in a closet.

Have any of you tried the technique where you put them in a Styrofoam cooler with a lid or a plastic container with a seal top.The one I read about had the seeds planted in half perlite and half vermiculite?It said to keep the mix moist but not soaking wet.The lids help keep in moister.But it said you have to watch for defecation of the seedlings using this technique.

I think these hybrids look better than regular Fortuneis.I have one 5 gal.and it's a very fast growing palm.I cant get anymore of them,I got lucky getting the one I have.It was the last one he had and he said he would only have seeds for sale for the next couple years.It's hard to find these palms at any size for sale.

Thanks guys for your advise.Hopefully One of these techniques will work.Has anybody tried any other techniques that worked?
    Randy

• butiaman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I cant believe I just noticed that I typed Trachycarpus X Wagnerianus,sorry.I'm sure you guys knew what I meant.I type much slower than what I'm thinking,LOL.I meant to say Trachycarpus Fortunei x Trachycarpus Wagnerianus seeds :)
    Randy

• wetsuiter
    12 years ago

I think newer fridge models don't throw off the heat older models did. My new energy saver model doesn't throw off heat either. My hot water heaters are in closets which end up nice and toasty.

You can look for seed germinating packages in your garden center. They come with a tray, peat pods (easy to find refills) and a heating mat. This worked ok for me, but the peat pots didn't allow the germinated palm seed's root sprout to penetrate into the peat. Instead they sat on top and looked like a bean sprout. I would just put them in a different pot with soil.

Cleaning seeds of fruit and soaking seeds in warm water for 24 hrs helps. The most important thing seems to keep them damp (not wet) medium and in a warm spot. I've seen someone use a light bulb in an empty kitchen cabinet.

• jimhardy
    12 years ago

Randy

For Trachy seeds temps in the 70s have worked fine....
    if they are fresh seeds you could see them sprout overnight.

I start by soaking for a few days,then cleaning the seeds...
    some like to soak in a light bleach solution or similar to sterilize.

Your medium need only be as moist as the water left after draining slightly.

I like using bigger baggies because the seedling can get to a healthy
    size inside..big enough to plant right into a pot by the time
    the first leaf is over an inch long.

I like to wait until they get a leaf to pot up otherwise...
    just planted with a little root only,they are sometimes never seen again!

If you do try laying the seeds on a warmer surface like a gas
    stove top you may want to at least check the temp...sometimes
    10 degrees can be the difference between "cooking" them and getting rapid germination.

Click for weather forecast

• butiaman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone for your advise.

Jim,
    Thanks for your input.Your the person that sparked my interest in Trachycarpus palms.For a cold hardy palm that has a trunk you just cant beat them for growth speed and cold hardiness :)

I know there are more cold hardy palms that does not have a trunk.Like S.minor,S.louisiana,S.brazoria.Which according to what I've read lately they now include all of them as different forms of S.minors.Even S.Louisiana which can have a 6ft trunk.

I've got all of them and more,I like all of them.Please dont anybody take this the wrong way.When I think of a palm tree the first thing that comes to mind is a single trunk tree with the fronds around the top of the trunk.

I still like Butia and Sabal palms.But they just take so long to grow into a good size tree.Sabals being the slower one of the too.That doesn't mean that I will quit growing them.I just except them for what they are.

Thanks again everyone.Here's hoping for a early spring :)
    Randy

• earthworm73
    12 years ago

Randy funny you posted this. Yesterday I just put some trachy seeds in a quart size ziplock baggie. I used a seed germination "soil" that I lightly wetted then squeezed out water until it only released a drop or two. Seeds went in blue fruit coating and all. I put the bag in the laundry room where it stays consistently in the low to mid 70's. Go to you tube and look up germinating palm seeds. A friend named BananaJoeSSI is a palm guru in Canada specifically trachies and he has some vids on this subject.

• jimhardy
    12 years ago

I know what you mean Randy....or at least I think I do.

Even though Needle palms really jump out at you for the cold they have endured...I never cared to have one
    since I can already grow bushes here in Iowa(-; but since I was trying everything else anyway-

I planted a few 7g Needles and a 3 gallon the year before..unfortunately the 7g Needs
    pulled before I planted them so,not looking good going into winter.

However-

One of them survived the coldest temps(-18F) in 30 years with
    only a leaf cage!

This greatly increased my respect for them!

Anywho-

Trachys are my favorite cold hardy palms-very fun to watch grow and develop from a seedling and you don't have to be
    to young a person to see it get big someday...unlike some Sabals,Thrithy's etc-and they are pretty tough too!

Click for weather forecast

• butiaman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Earthworm73,
    BananaJoe is who I bought the seeds from.He said he sends instructions with the seeds.I just wanted to hear what some other techniques people have tried and worked.I've seen a lot of his videos.He's seems like a cool guy.

Jim,
    That's what I meant.I've never tried Needle palms.Like you said I've got plenty of bushes.I do have two C. humilis Ceriferas that are multi trunks,the other ones I keep trimmed to a single trunk.Or what we use to call a standard.
    Thanks again,
    Randy

• timintexas
    12 years ago

I just go to WalMart and buy one of those plastic storage boxes you always see...clear with the white snap on lid. Put a few inches of high quality potting mix, plant the seed thick (I mean THICK!) press them down, cover with 1/4 inch soil, water, snap on the lid and put it somewhere out of the way. I check it about once a week and sooner or later, it looks like a prickly grass carpet comming up! I have left them like this for a year, in the box, after germination. When I have time, I do the transplant. I do this for all species and it works great. No fussing around. I have never noticed a huge difference with temps except for perhaps the Washingtonias. Trachys' seem to come up regardless of temp (within reason, of course).

• earthworm73
    12 years ago

Randy you got yourself some good ole Pacific Northwest Trachy seeds. They should do well in the Georgia climate. At about the same time as you I bought myself some trachy seeds from the Southeast. lol Could you keep us posted on their progress throughout the year with pics and I'll do the same.

• butiaman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

earthworm,
    I figured if they thrive on SSI in Canada,they should have no problem here.I really like the T.fortunei x T.wagnerianus palms.I have several Fortuneis and one big Waggie planted in the ground.I just bought two 1gal. Waggies also.I'll grow them to a 3gal size before planting them in the ground.There my next favorite Trachycarpus palm.

That's funny what you said about the seeds.I live in the Southeast and bought Trachy seeds from the Northwest.You live in the Northwest and bought Trachy seeds from the Southeast.LOL :)

I'll be glad to report in and take pictures of the palm seedlings.I hope they all germinate well.The hybrids and Waggies work best for my yard,I don't have any windbreaks.I'm sure you know what high winds do to Fortuneis.

PS.I'm getting another 100 hybrid Trachy.seeds this week. :)

Randy

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner