Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zapperdie

Spider Mites on my Brighamia insignis

Zapperdie
11 years ago

Hi

I have 2 indoor Brighamia Insignis since about 9 months....Initially they grew really well, & within about a month of them being with us my babies showed signs of Spider mites..
I had been using some Bio insecticide from the Garden center... it worked for brief periods & then the mites were back. For months, I had been cleaning the mites out from the leaves by hand. With water & a sponge, since, I live in an apartment, I have no way to spray them down...

Anyway, I had to leave town for a couple of months & my husband was watering them as requested...within a few weeks, he called & said he din't know what was happening but my Hawaiian Palms were dying...there was not much I could do, was just too far away...

Anyway, when I came home this is what I saw (the picture) one palm had lost all it's leaves & the other had lots of white spots on it's leaves...I dusted the leaves onto a piece of white paper & saw that it was a spider mite infestation ...

I have some Neem oil. I put that in a spray bottle with some water & tried to spray the plants.. but the Neem oil just doesn't mix well with water obviously..

Any ideas on how to apply this neem oil on them? I can't wait for Spring to arrive, so I can get some love bugs to eat them all up..but thats gonna be a long wait...

Another Q I have is, I think these mites are in the soil as well...how do I get rid of them from the soil?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments (3)