Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pj_orlando_z9b

one bad in a winter of good :(

pj_orlando_z9b
12 years ago

I posted a month ago about a deteriorating trachy (my largest and best). I knew it wasn't the cold but thought it might have been slightly poisoned when some tiki torch oil spilled nearby in October. Not sure cause the other nearby palm (bottom left of photo) is fine. This morning, the spear came out. I didn't have to even pull it...it was leaning and was nearly out anyways. Is this a sign of a fungus? I poured copper fungicide in it hoping to help but it may be too late. Other emerging spear is still tight. This is a shame cause it would have had no setback this year given the warm winter. Time to expect the worst but hope for the best.

Spear that came out

Plant in October (on left) in happier days

My 2nd largest trachy after the dusting of snow yesterday is just fine so far this winter. Lack of wind is biggest reason for success so far. Wind is usually a bigger factor for palms here in the mid-Atlantic than cold.

smallest trachy (right next to the sick one) was a one stem seedling from Austin in 2008

I expect this waggie to take off this year (4th winter all unprotected)

Potted cordy's left outside all winter (kept against the house for insurance). Winter low was 12.8F but only got below 20F 5 times. Crazy.

Speaking of cold and snow. How about this clip of snowfall in Algeria!

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/rare-snows-in-north-africa/61172

Next 7 days look great!

Comments (8)

• californiamike
    12 years ago

Oh no, sorry to hear that...i beleive in covering them up especially when they are younger and new to get them established ...lets hope for an early spring and a comeback

my indoors ones are drying, because of the forced air, march cant come fast enough

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

Sorry to see, wow, that definitely does not look like cold damage to me. I really think the tiki oil is what did it because the cold usually doesn't make palms look like that until the weather is really mild (Growing weather again).
    Your other palms look good though and so do those cordy's! I planted red cordy's this year and they died since they are only zone 9 plants at best, but all the green ones in the neighborhood are alive and well. I guess a lot of people will save a couple of bucks when planting their flowers this spring!

Good luck! I hope it manages to come back for you, but if not, then I hope you get another thats just as nice!
    -Alex

• subtropix
    12 years ago

Sorry for your loss. I had a similar experience but one of my dwarf English boxwoods--gasoline spilled on it as I was trying to fill the generator in the dark during our hurricane --it's toast but the rest of the hedge looks fine. I try not to get too upset with gardening mishaps--it is what it is. I broke my back last November (not literally) planting a hedge of Arborvitae (and removing the old jungle growth), only to find that the deer love them best of all, and now they look like he//. May just rip them out and plant a row of Tracyhs after the neighbor puts in the fence becase deer do not eat palms.
    Have four planted in the front already (protected by house) but a fence will offer some wind protection. Good luck!

• wetsuiter
    12 years ago

I lost one of my first windmills in its second year. I think one of my contractor's lackies dumped something around its base after doing my kitchen project. I added some fresh soil when I planted the replacement. The dead palm was part of a pair framing my porch so now they don't match in size, even though the newer palm is growing nicely now.

• brooklyngreg
    12 years ago

That's a bummer. I recall the thread you are talking about and I think you were advised to cover it since it was in a weakened state. Covering is like hospitalization for palms. In MD within a few miles of coastal plains you can leave tracky's uncovered - but not a palm with FTT (failure to thrive)

• the_virginian
    12 years ago

PJ: Sorry to see that and yes, the tiki oil was the culprit. If you like and don't mind coming to pick it up at the VPS meeting, I have a free replacement for you that was grown on my property from seed. It is almost as big and I am digging them up to move and give to VPS members. Let me know.

JS

• pj_orlando_z9b
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi John, hope all is well. I really appreciate the offer and am interested. When is the VPS meeting?

• the_virginian
    12 years ago

PJ: We are going to have it mostlikely on April 21 which is a Saturday. Hope you can attend as the whole VPS gang will be there.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner