Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jason_2010

Pushing the Palm limits in Jacksonville with my Foxtail Palm!!

jason_2010
14 years ago

My new Foxtail Palm i just planted! {{gwi:1120265}}

Comments (34)

• jason_2010
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I had to push the palm limits here in Jax! In fact, i bought this Foxtail Palm only 70 miles south of here in Ormond Beach at a nursery there off US 1. i have noticed alot of more people here in jax are planting more tropical palm trees in recent years. I have seen at least 10 other homes in northern FL with foxtails in there yard. i know this is a hit or miss up here, but i am going to give it a shot. And since this tree is alot more mature with being 10 feet tall, hopefully it will do a little better during the cold nights we get here!

• theseventhlegend
    14 years ago

What a beautiful specimen... I've seen some planted around Jax but after this winter who knows if any will be remaining. You may want to cover it tonight cause it's suppose to get in the mid to high 20's around parts of Jax. Good luck with your Foxtail!

• jason_2010
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you! I just covered the Foxtail up. Boy it was a job to do! i will keep it covered until probably monday or tuesday. it is suppose to go down to the 30's everynight until then. Tonight, being the coldest of all the nights

• jason_2010
    Original Author
    14 years ago

i was Driving around today in Jacksonville near my house and found some other very tropical palm trees...Here is a Coconut palm if you can beleive it! Not that big, but very green and looking healthy

• jason_2010
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Another Foxtail Palm like mine! Looks very healthy! Looks like it has been in that spot for a while

• statenislandpalm7a
    14 years ago

The coconut is majesty palm

• jason_2010
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OOPS! it is, isnt it

• jaxboro
    14 years ago

Jason, what part of twna re you in? I live in Mandarin and have 3 foxtails, one is a triple.

• jason_2010
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Jaxboro, i live behind super-walmart on Atlantic BLVD. You have 3??? Put some pics up of them! How old are they and are they doing ok?

• tropicalzone7
    14 years ago

Very nice foxtail palm, it looks to be a great size. Foxtails dont like freezing weather though so anything below 30 and they will need some protection. Good luck and enjoy!

• jason_2010
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks tropical! i just spent 2 hours today wrapping it up. it is going to be 28 tonight here in jax and just a little above freezing the next 3 nights. i bought a wrapping for it that is designed to stay on for many days . so i might just keep it wrapped up until our freezes end

• zeeth
    14 years ago

Also, that "foxtail" you posted after the majesty isn't a foxtail. It looks like it's just an extra plumose queen.

• jason_2010
    Original Author
    14 years ago

what is a plumose queen?? i looked it up on the internet and it doesnt give me any information on it at all.

• tropicalzone7
    14 years ago

Plumose is just an adjective that basically means lots of feathers; in other words the foxtail in the 2nd pic isnt actually a foxtail, but just a extra feathery (and unusually nice looking) queen palm. But that was still a really good find because Queen palms that healthy are rare, most people in Florida just throw them in there backyard and do nothing more, but that one looks like its really well cared for. Queen palms get a bad reputation for looking ugly, but that picture proves them wrong!
    I can see why you confused it for a Foxtail palm, at first I thought it was too. But the good news is that the Foxtail you planted in your yard is a foxtail, and you seem to be the first in your neighborhood (near your home) to be trying some very tropical palms, and maybe some others will start to grow them too after they see your success.

Good luck!

• jason_2010
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for info on the plumose tropical! I know alot about palms and i learned something new there again. Even though i did put up some wrong info on those pics i took around the neighborhood, there are other houses up here with foxtails just not as big as mine. Alot of my neighbors already asked me what kind of palm that is. They think it is beautiful! Like said, i have it wrapped up until i think next weekend. it is suppose to be high's in the low 70's starting next saturday with lows in the 50's. So hopefully in that weather, i can finally take off my wrappings and start enjoying the tree!

• tropicalzone7
    14 years ago

Wish you luck! Hopefully next winter will be much better than this last one, but at least is has all summer to establish its self. Foxtails easily catch people's attention because of how nice there leaves look. I think 70s during the day and 50s at night is prefect weather to uncover your foxtail, thats usually when my potted tropicals start to go out for the summer.

• jaxboro
    14 years ago

Got a 4th Foxtail yesterday, only 5ft tall, but already putting on some woody trunk.

• jason_2010
    Original Author
    14 years ago

jaxboro, were did you purchase this new foxtail?? and do you have any up todate pics of your other 3??? i would like to see how they are doing!

• jaxboro
    14 years ago

I won't have any pic updates until later next month. I just want things to look a little better than they are now.

I bought the only available, right now at least, at Jim's plant stand at Philips HWY and Old St. Augustine RD in Bayard. You can find excellent deals on anything from small, young windmills to full nearly one ton Canary Island Dates, along with many others. I've worked up a good relationship since last year and will probably work for him as a side job later this spring. I highly recommend this location.

However I am telling you to get there soon, because when it warms up for good, his lot becomes a madhouse on weekends.

• jason_2010
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Jaxboro, that sounds like a good place to get some tropicals! But.......i got my Foxtail in Ormond beach. you know were that is. about 70 miles south of us here in jax. The nursery is called Smilin Sun and it is at exit 268. you have to check out this nursery Jaxboro!!! They have very very mature foxtails here! In fact, they have Xmas palms, and coconut palms! Mature ones though which i think is a better bet for us up here in Jax. Like they told me there, the bigger they are, the better chance they have to survive the cold! The lady thee told me also that whenever i want a tree...any tree she said, just tell her and she will have it there within 3 days for me. If you are interested in them here is there number: 386-677-8748

• jaxboro
    14 years ago

Well, I also got a Travelers Palm and a double Silver Date, both in 3 gallon containers the same day I got the much larger containered Foxtail. I'll be planting both tomorrow since today was so crappy.

• jason_2010
    Original Author
    14 years ago

ok jaxboro, as soon as you plant it, i want a pic of it! I know you said your other ones weren't in the greatest shape right now, but i think this foxtail you will be planting is in good shape! Are you going to wrap it up for this week? we are getting down to the high 30's the next 3 nights

• jaxboro
    14 years ago

Nope, I got the St. Johns within a mile of me and my partner's house so we have a temp buffer over most locations on the order of 2-5 degrees. At high to mid 30s, I'm not really worried and being a meteorologist, I have a good knowledge of whether frost will occur or not.

The Travelers is in the ground and my large potted Areca is now in it's permanent place. My Silver Date will be a job with tree roots coming under the fence and may take a while to dig even a small hole for this lil 3 gallon double.

• jaxboro
    14 years ago

Purchased a 5th Foxtail, the 4th single, for a steal of a price. $106 for a 15 gallon, but quite large for such a small container and easily would've cost double at other locations. It is about 10ft tall to the tip of the spear, maybe nearly 12ft, very deep green, and just plain healthy. I moved the small, 5 gallon foxtail I purchased a little over a week ago and moved it to a different location. Both are in their final positions and should have pics up soon.

I purchased this from Leonardi's Nursery at 902 Anastasia Blvd in St. Augsutine Beach. They have 2 greenhouses filled with nearly every palm you can find in this state, including a few royals. Some are small 3 gallon palms, and others are just plain huge, especially the Spindle and Bottle palms.

• jason_2010
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Jaxboro, that is awesome! is that foxtail about the same size as mine??? Wow, i might have to take a trip there and check it out! i think i want a royal also! Please take a pic of your new foxtail as soon as you can! and the other ones you have as well! I just took my wrapping off my foxtail this past weekend and it is completly fine! protecting them is the key! it went through about 30 degree temps about 8 nights in teh last 3 weeks and it looks just like it did the day i purchase it!

• jaxboro
    14 years ago

It is roughly the same size, maybe a tad smaller.

I may drive down there again tomorrow to take pics and post them here to get their product out there better.

• jason_2010
    Original Author
    14 years ago

ok jaxboro, just make sure you post it to this forum!

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    13 years ago

Would love to know how those foxtails are doing now. I also live in Jacksonville. Had a foxtail I purchased at Target for $9.99 the summer of 2009. Lost it winter 2009-2010. It was wrapped and had heat lamps on it, but it didn't matter. I am really wondering how those BIG investments above are doing!!

• palmbob
    8 years ago

not read every comment above, but that last photo of the 'foxtail just like mine' with the damage trunk is a Royal, not a foxtail palm. did the gardners weed whack that palm repeatedly to get it to have a trunk like that?

• Kevin
    8 years ago

I grew up in Neptune bch. I move to southwest Fl in the 80s. I tried for years to grow all this stuff. Usually within a year or two they will die. I love it down here. No problem growing royals, coconuts, etc. I've also grow a lot of tropical fruits with no problem. Soursop, mango, etc. I'm even growing a 2 breadfruit trees, which are questionable growing even here.

Don't even slightly miss that cold you guys get up there! Good luck!

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    8 years ago

The funniest part of this old thread is the dead coconut and "Very healthy and Green"!

• romans8and1
    5 years ago

Jason_2010 hows the foxtail?

• Jason Mickel
    last year

***2023 update *** So my royal died in the first winter which was in 2010…by the way , i planted this the summer before one of our COLDEST winters here in florida ever unfortunately . sorry for the late update everyone