Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_21934719

Butia (Pindo) palm blasted/possible recovery??

User
13 years ago

I realize that it's not likely, buy a Pindo palm I had in the ground got blasted by this winter's sustained cold. Its bud pulled and all leaves are brown--except one which is vividly green--surprisingly. The trunk seems firm. Is it possible for this plant to actually pull through??

Comments (17)

• statenislandpalm7a
    13 years ago

I dont think so last year i had two protected pindos that looked green in march but the spears pulled and the bud was rotten

• tropicalzone7
    13 years ago

I also dont think so. Pindos can actually look alive for a very long time when they are actually dead inside. My potted pindo saw 20F and was a goner last year even though it looked green for at least a week or 2 when I brought it inside. I poured hydrogen peroxide and watered it well indoors, and really did all that I could to revive it, but nothing worked. Moral of the story is... pindo palms hate going below 20F and will die if its for a long duration unless older or protected well. My protected windmill palm looks good so far and this is its second year. Its a very very slow grower though and refuses to put out any new fronds until at least july!
    Good luck!
    -Alex

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the input. I learned my lesson with the Pindo. I have three others (containerized) and don't intend to repeat this mistake. (I wonder if Jubacea is hardier than Pindo among the pinnate palms.) Tropical zone, I have to say, my Trachys start growing in April and are moderate growers. They are in a warm location (southern and protected), but I am really surprised by your experience with their growth rate. (In fact, mine slow way down in July heat.)I'll post pictures once they move into active growth. Take care.

• tropicalzone7
    13 years ago

Sorry, I meant to say pindo palm, not windmill palm. I was typing quick lol.
    My windmill palm grew slow its first year, but its growing fast now (5 fronds last year). It hasnt gained much height, but it does replace most of its fronds every year. It grows best in the summer heat because I give it tons of water and the other plants grow a lot by then and shade it out (keeping them cooler and wetter).
    My pindo palm on the other hand grows as slow as a rhapis palm!
    -Alex

• jimhardy
    13 years ago

Maybe time to operate and see what is beneath
    that spear pull cavity-why not take a look?

• lascapa
    13 years ago

Sorry to here about your Pindo, hope it comes back. I live about 60 miles south of Atlanta and was wanting to purchase one. I'm not sure now if it won't survive under 20 degrees. What other palms would you recommend that are more hardier than the Pindo.

I searched the internet but you get different temps from different web sites that can vary as much as 15 degrees, not sure what to believe. I would much rather trust the opinions of people that actually grow them in colder climates. Thanks

• brooklyngreg
    13 years ago

Lascapa,

Try one pindo, they grow much easier in your area. Plant it with a some sand mixed in and during record cold cover it when its small.

Up here in zone 7, some people think they do not need to cover them and our winter is just too strong most years, whereas a pindo butia can survive your winters most years and all years with some covering.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Lascapa, try the pindo. They are relatively cheap and easy to replace. I would still protect it in your zone--especially the first few season. Even in the South, many people report that their Butia suffer center spear loss--though they can recuperate from it if the plant is not too damaged. Strongly recommend you try some Trachycarpus fortunei palms. This is the only trunking palm that I can grow uncovered in my area. Also, consider a Sabal louisianna and Mediterranean fan (Chamaerops). My zone is too cold for pinnate palms in the ground unprotected, so I focus on the palmate varieties. I still will grow the Butias, but as large containerized specimens that I can protect in the Winter. Also, there is NO palm cold hardier than Needle palms (Rhaphidophyllum)--native to the southern US. Didn't like them initially, but growing to LOVE them!--They will not, however, produce any substantial trunk. Good luck!

• tropicalzone7
    13 years ago

In addition to a pindo palm, you can also try a windmill palm. They should be bulletproof in Atlanta or areas near it. Mine was protected with only a plastic garbage bin (no heat) and it went down to around 5F in my part of NYC. Their was only slight damage to the lowest fronds (which I cut off so now it looks undamaged and as green as it was in the summer). Sabal minors are native to your area and Needle palms probably are also native to your area (or nearby). Both are very cold tolerant and should have no problem in your winters.
    I would protect the pindo palm, at least until its a little older, but it should survive an average winter by you without difficulty!
    -Alex

• lascapa
    13 years ago

Thanks for the replies! I will definately try th Pindo. I have two windmills planted now and wanted to add something different. The smaller one has been through 3 winters and was bought off ebay. The larger was from a local nursery and has been through 2 winters. The are doing very well. I tried to add 2 links, but I haven't figured that out yet.lol, Thanks,
    Sal

Here is a link that might be useful:

• lascapa
    13 years ago

Here is the other picture.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• lzrddr
    13 years ago

I have had many Butias lose their spears thanks to overhead watering and most have come back, as long as get antifungal stuff poured down the empty spike holes right away... the smaller the palm, the less likely it will recover, though. Just takes some patience. Sometimes nearly a year goes by before another few, twisted, bizzare leaves make their way out of the hole, but it can happen. NEVER water these from above if it's cold. The buds of this palm don't like tap water when it's cold (rain water doesn't seem to be a problem).

• paulinfl_aol_com
    12 years ago

we planted two large pindo's last spring close to front of the house so somewhat protected. last winter saw some upper 20's off and on for about a month. one is fine other has green outer/lower fronds but upper inner fronds are completely brown/dead. the inner most frond is part way out brown/dead yet won't pull out as i've experienced with other types of palms in the past that are dead. should we wait or are we wasting our time? thanks

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

It definitely sounds like its dead (which is very surprising to hear in your climate). I would give it some time and see what happens. Pull on the emerging spear a little bit harder. Rotten Pindo palm spears dont usually slide out as easily as other palms.
    I hope it makes it!
    -Alex

• brooklyngreg
    12 years ago

Thanks for the tip not to water the butia pindos from the top with cold tap water.

Just another note, don't water them at all when its cold - temps in the 30s or lower.

We are bracing for more heat here in NYC in the mid 90s.

• wetsuiter
    12 years ago

I'm with you Lascapa. The web info on Pindos is very confusing and contradictory about cold tolerances. I reluctantly planted one this spring because I found a good sized one at a great price at Home Depot. I havent had to protect my windmills since it seldom drops below 20 here in the winter.

I will put a leaf cage around the pindo this year and see how it goes. If the experiment fails I feel a Sabal Birmingham in my future.

• jacklord
    12 years ago

If you protect a Pindo, it will do fine. If not...morte

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County