Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jimhardy_gw

Stepping down protection

jimhardy
12 years ago

I made these little covers to keep moisture off the palms

during periods of marginal temps.... like March ( ;

The framing is from cattle panels that I cut down and covered with PVC plastic...

anywhere from .97 yd for the thin stuff or $1.97 for thr thicker one -and $2.97 for the thick stuff.

Great if you have smaller palms........

Click for weather forecast

Comments (9)

• wetsuiter
    12 years ago

I've been wondering about my Pindo. I wrapped it before Christmas with burlap and waterproof Tyvek house wrap (it breathes) and a leaf cage around the bottom. I'm more concerned about suddenly exposing it to bright March sunshine. The 10 day forecast is fine, and by mud March we're pretty safe from winter precip. Any suggestions for step down for this palm?

• chadec7a
    12 years ago

You got your hands full. Sometimes I think about moving! Luckily I have everything uncovered. If we a cold spell I will have to cover my golden ball cacti.

• wetsuiter
    12 years ago

I've decided to keep my pindo wrapped through the weekend. We have some bad weather headed this way and a low of 29 with some mixed rain and snow in the forecast.

• jimhardy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My palms have not burned from being uncovered after winter...
    you may want to try some opaque plastic if you think the sun will be to much.

Click for weather forecast

• wetsuiter
    12 years ago

I was thinking just draping the burlap over its fronds to filter the sun as we have a sunny dry mild spell coming after Monday.

• wetsuiter
    12 years ago

I pulled the winter wrap off my pindo yesterday since we're beyond the worst of the cold. I have to say it looks great. I'll post pics a bit later in the spring when everything is cleaned up.

Sadly my oleander looks pretty burned even under a burlap wrap and leaf cage. It doesn't look dead, but not the results I had hoped for. I've seen some pretty impressive oleanders around here that don't get any protection. But the obviously prefer being up against a wall or fence.

My Med Fans did very well their first winter. I was most concerned about them because I love them so much and heard how finicky they can be. I just used Alex's technique and tossed a frost cloth over the big one and plastic tubs over the small ones during the few extreme cold nights we had. We had virtually no snow either so that was in our favor. Spring is here. Then again, it was here almost all winter.

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

Sorry to hear about your oleander wetsuiter! Glad that the med fan palms and pindo palms did well for you. In my experience Chamaerops is actually one of my least finicky palms. I never worry about it during cold weather as long as it has its protection on!
    Im taking some plants outside today. Some of the less tender ones may stay outside permenantly, the rest will go in after tomorrow (for now!).
    -Alex

• wetsuiter
    12 years ago

I'm learning that about the Med Fans. After worrying about mine and throwing protective covers over them during the extremes this winter, I've seen a few potted ones that did great. One at a beach side mini golf and the other outside of a red neck bar out in the country. Obviously they don't even know what they have. There are three other dead tropical palms with the potted, thriving Med Fan. Closer inspection shows it doubles as an ash tray!. I bet the owners just scratch their heads as to why the one is still alive. "Dag gum! Looky here Elmer..."

• chadec7a
    12 years ago

I need to get my Med Fan planted soon. It is starting to look terrible from being inside all winter. Meanwhile my musa has continued to grow. So I know its not a problem with light. Maybe humidity or I let it get too try.