Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Trachycarpius Fortunei (Queens, NY)

Posted by HardyPalmFreak 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 24, 11 at 13:15

Just wanted to do an update on a palm I saw on one of the threads here on GardenWeb.com... Here it is> Located on the northern side of a McDonald's restaurant by JFK Airport in Springfield, Queens, NY.

It looks severely snow burned and since it's facing to the north it encounters those cold, northerly winds. Not to mention that when they clean their parking lot of snow....guess where they dump it? Right on this baby! :-O Anyway here are some pics I took of my visit to Queens. ENJOY!!!

DSC05190

DSC05191

DSC05192

DSC05193

DSC05194

DSC05195

DSC05196

DSC05197

>>>>CHECK OUT SOME GREAT VIDEOS OF PALMS ON MY CHANNEL (HardyPalmFreak) on YouTube.com!<<<<

Follow-Up Postings:

o
Spelling***

I totally mispelled (Trachycarpus) LOL********

o
RE: Trachycarpius Fortunei (Queens, NY)

Wow why would they dump snow on it like that??? Bad enough it has a northern exposure. It looks mangled and shorter. At least it's still green I guess, I thought it'd be totally dead by now. It looked so much better at this time last year.

Last February/March:
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

July/August:

End of November:

o

Definitely doesnt look as nice as last winter, but it was a colder winter! As long as we dont get any more severe cold (and the 10 day forecast only has one or 2 nights below freezing), then I think it will recover, albeit very slowly.
I hope it makes it. If it survives then I think it has a chance to be a long term survivor there.
-Alex

o

I hope it does survive as well.

o

Its amazing its still alive.

o

Somebody should tell the owner of the mcdonalds to take better care of it and cover it for winter

o

I went to check on this palm about two weeks ago and it's finally out of the ground in the morgue.

o

Probably gets more than it's fair share of salt too!

That's a tough one!

o

HPF, I watched some of your vids and you said you were a science teacher. What grade do you teach?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here