Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andyandy_gw

thank you everyone who suggested coffee gr.

andyandy
16 years ago

I had a small scale breakout back in November. I tried systemic grqanuals, insecticidal soap, and neem oil. Still it persisted. I used some coffee grounds per several suggestions and the scale has been gone for months. Thank you everyone who suggested it. They really work.

Comments (14)

• dan112
    16 years ago

That really works? I lost a rather large palm tree to a huge scale problem that persisted for almost a year. I tried the neem oil thinking that was going to be a 100% cure but it did nothing. Can you give me details on what you did with the coffee grounds so I can get rid of scale if it comes back.

• andyandy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I just brewed a bunch of cheap Maxwell house and put the grounds over the soil of the pot. That simple.

• Nikitas_10a, Corfu
    16 years ago

Thanks for the tip andyandy. It's so simple, safe and free, that I doesn't hurt to give it a try.

Nikitas

• dan112
    16 years ago

Sounds great. Thanks!

• nyssaman
    16 years ago

Has anyone tried this with fungas gnats? - I worry about coffee grounds because they seem to get moldy if you don't clean out the coffee maker in a couple days..lol

• topher2006
    16 years ago

What the heck is the deal with nats this year ? man they are bad !

• nyssaman
    16 years ago

I had to throw out 6 pots of sabal minors because they were just infested with the larvae - I took my Nannarhops?? out of the pots soaked them in some Water and H202 for a couple of hours and potted them back up and now I'm just watering from the bottom - I was thinking of getting some diac???? earth..lol heard that works(I find as I get older I cant spell worth a ****) The other thing I heard works is the BCT but it is expensive.

• cycadjungle
    16 years ago

Even though I didn't speak up at the time on the coffee, someone who heard me talk back in June of last year did. I finally wrote my article on it for the December issue of The Cycad SOciety Newsletter after 16 months of testing. One thing that I didn't know when I did my talk relates to the concerns of nyssaman. When you use the grounds outside, it works real well. When you use them in pots that are inside moist greenhouses, not only will the grounds go bad quickly and get moldy, but IT CAN promote a place that the gnats love. If anyone is interested in seeing the article, contact me privately in an e-mail. Tom

• theseventhlegend
    16 years ago

My indoor palm had gnats. I let my used moist coffee grounds dry up for a few days (kept in paper filter), then I applied them to the pot. I didn't water for about a week and when I did it was just a little. My gnats were gone within 2 weeks. Worked for me.

• cycadjungle
    16 years ago

I didn't know they were going to do it, but the Cycad Society just put the article on their website, so everyone can read it easily. Here is the address:
    http://www.cycad.org/Documents/Broome-Coffee-2007.pdf

• Nikitas_10a, Corfu
    16 years ago

That's a very intriguing article Tom. Thanks for sharing your findings with us. In your article you recommend two application per year. Is there a certain time/month of the year that you think is the best time for the first application (when the infestation is in the root system)?

Nikitas

• cycadjungle
    16 years ago

Read that part again, I cover that in the article too.

• Nikitas_10a, Corfu
    16 years ago

Got it.

• nyssaman
    16 years ago

Theseventhlegend - if you stopped watering for a week this also could be why you had a reduction in fungas gnats. I have begun watering from the bottom and I have seen a huge reduction in swarming gnats around my pots.