Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Most prickly palm.

Posted by njoasis 7 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 4, 13 at 13:41

What is your most prickly palm? Against my better judgement I just ordered a saribus. I had purchased one years ago from HD but they have not been available in more recent years--probably too prickly for most people in the house! It did well but I let it get too dry over winter and it died so trying it again. Robust palm but exercise caution with those spines! Also, anyone know the reason for spines among palms. It is not like their foliage gets eaten by animals. Local deer would die before munching on palm fronds!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Most prickly palm.

Mine is a toss-up between Phoenix Sylvestris and Cycas Revoluta(yeah I know, technically not a palm). Both are very painful even just bumping into them or trying to weed around them. The tips of the leaves draw blood with no problem.

o

Washy is the biggest prick here-note to self;don't reach into
the middle of the Washys with your knitted sweater on :o

It's like trying to rip your arm out of a sharks mouth!

Click for Fairfield, Iowa Forecast

This post was edited by jimhardy on Tue, Feb 5, 13 at 10:27

o

Phoenix palms have been my most painful, although my livistona decorum is definitely the most prickly (the thorns hook and can really grab onto skin tightly, phoenix palms just poke skin).
-Alex

o

• Posted by kinzyjr Lakeland, FL 9a (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 4, 13 at 23:47

Without a doubt, my most prickly is phoenix theophrasti (Cretan Date Palm).

o

I had an Acanthophoenix for many years and it had a gazillion spines... very sharp! But aside from the palms with long, thin sharp spines, I would say it has definitely been Trithrinax campestris, though Phoenix theophrastii is close behind.

o

Reaching into my Mediterranean fan palms is a mistake for sure. Those little spiny teeth are awful. But they can't compare to the trunks I've seen of some palms in the rain forests of Panama, Costa Rica and Brazil! You don't want to lean up against any palm there!

http://www.google.com/search?q=spiny+palm+tree&hl=en&tbo=u&site=webhp&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ei=MaYRUe2_COXo0gGtpYC4Dg&ved=0CCsQsAQ&biw=320&bih=533#p=0

o

I find my worst is Phoenix roebelenii, have given up trying to clean up the old dead fronds. Although, Livistona benthami can be like a pitbull on a chain - just don't get too close. I find that's the worst of the Livistonas I've experienced, and most Livistonas are pretty savage. Licuala spinosa is another. On the other hand Phoenicophorium borsigianum has a mass of spines but quite soft. It's all bluff.

o

I got a livistonia chinensis thorn in my thumb yesterday my vote goes there

This post was edited by miketropic on Sun, Feb 10, 13 at 10:29

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here