Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Canary Palm - fronds drying - help please

Posted by sisidi7 AZ (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 8, 12 at 13:58

We have two Canary Island mature palms that were transplanted about 6 months ago. The palms are 8-10 ft tall clear trunk; with fronds they are about 16ft tall.

One of the trees looks great and healthy but the fronds of the other are starting to dry up and droop. The current watering schedule is set to two times per week in the amount of 24 gallons at mid day; the 24 gallons is dispensed in a two hour period.

As of yesterday we have reduced the watering to one time per week with the same amount of water. Any and all advice is sought after. Thank you in advance for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Canary Palm - fronds drying - help please

My brother lives in phoenix and he was having the same problem. with a large phoenix we just put in his yard. some die back of the fronds is normal. I would be watering it heavy every day his irrigation stays on all night every day and the palms nices and green. Until the palm establishes itself it will dry up fast and the more leaves it has in the crown the faster it will dry out.

o
RE: Canary Palm - fronds drying - help please

I was not going to respond to your posting because I grow my Canary Palms under such different circcumstances--in large tubs, in a much wetter and cooler climate. But I do agree with the above posting by Mike. It sounds like they are not getting enough water. Once they become more established, they'll become more drough tolerant. This species has some drought tolerance but probably not as much as the "True Date" (Phoenix dactyfilera)--which is why I prefer it in my WET climate. Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here