Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Queen palm overwintering inside

Posted by NYHamptons 7a/7b (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 9, 13 at 15:22

Hi guys, I decided to buy a queen palm and to overwinter it inside and bury the pot underground from middle march - early december.
My question is, do they get very heavy? And considering they will be in a pot, will their maximum height be smaller? I don't want it more than let's say 15 feet, maybe 20 at most.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Queen palm overwintering inside

They can get very heavy if it lives long enough, thousands of pounds. If it lives long enough it will reach 15 ft probably in 5 years or so depending on how happy it is.

May i suggest a palm for you? since you seem to like pinnate "feather palms" and are limited to space why not try a Chamaedorea radicalis "tree form"? its a very hardy small feather palm that can survive temps just below 20f. It likes part shade so being indoors for the winter wouldn't faze it as much as a queen.
Look them up. they are beautiful palms and hardy :D

goodluck
eric

o

I like them, but where can I buy them? I would need a larger one because they are probably slow growing. Someone mentioned that queens are really light, (i posted this just to confirm) so would they really weigh a lot when they're 15 feet?

o

hope this helps
http://www.junglemusic.net/careandcommon.asp?species=Chamaedorea radicalis

Queens are light at a young age, all plants are. But queens arent good for being potted long term. im guessing a healthy 15 ft tall queen would weigh around 200+ pounds.

o

I like the radicalis, but I can't find a way to order it. How easy is it to protect it outside or in other words what would i have to do?

o

If you can find one i would suggest you bring it inside whenever temps go below 23f. if you wanted to protect it outside you could but bringing it indoors would be so much easier. Thus the reason i suggested such a compact palm in the first place.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here