Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tropicalzone7_gw

Late February end of winter pics of my palms

tropicalzone7
12 years ago

Another winter is just about over and all the palms are looking alive! This was a great winter. I really did not have to protect my palms much this winter and they were definitely unprotected the vast majority of the winter. Here are some pics!

First here's a few pics of the biggest snow fall of the year. This was early February and it brought under 3 inches of snow. There was no sign of any snow left just 2 days later.

Now here are how things look today (Feb 19th)

My silver saw palmetto went through its first winter this year. I protected it just like the rest, just a frost cloth, some christmas lights, and a garbage bin. It doesnt look like it got any damage, but I'm keeping an eye on it just in case since I know they are more zone 9a palms).

Finally my Sabal minor got no damage for once! This is the first winter that it did not at least get tip burn and the protection for it was the same as it always was (frost cloth, Christmas lights, and a garbage bin). Maybe the palm is starting to get more cold resistant, or maybe this winter was just mild enough for it to pull through without damage.

The Butia was protected the same way the Sabal minor was and it looks great. It got a lot of growth on it from when it was first planted this spring and I think its going to do well this summer. The Frostproof gardenia had no protection at all and it also looks good. Im happy that it can handle mild winters here without any problems or damage.

This frostproof gardenia has been in the ground for 2 winters and almost 3 years. It had no protection at all and also no damage.

The oleander did not get very good protection and it still pulled through with no damage. The European fan palm got good protection and also no damage.

This is my Kramer's Supreme Camellia. It got no protection at all (its a zone 8 camellia so its more tender than the ones usually for sale at local nursuries) and it has no damage. Some of the buds are even starting to open! I cant wait until it blooms since the flowers are fragrant (pretty rare for camellias) and they are very large blooms too!

This Trachy was unprotected. It just got a garbage bin on it when there was a lot of rain.

This trachy was protected, but like all my palms, it really was no protected a lot at all this winter. This trachy probably spent a total amount of time of maybe a little more than a week in its protection this year. Its worth protecting though because not only does it not get damaged in the winter, but it manages to grow a bit too!

My Livistonia got badly damaged early on in the winter when we dropped to the low 20s. But its still nice and green in the center and it should be looking good again when summer comes. Usually the fronds burn in the spring anyways because the fronds were shade grown all summer long because it gets outgrown by all the tropical plants around it.

This Trachy got no real protection. I just put a frost cloth over it for peace of mind. It has no damage though. You can tell this trachy is more shade grown than my other one because of all the tropicals that outgrow it during the summer!

This is the infamous butia that just doesnt grow. Its been in the ground for 3 winters and almost 4 years and now it grows at about a rate of 1 frond every summer. I got tired of it so this winter I only put a garbage bin over it about 3 or 4 times this whole winter (only when it was really cold or wet). Well I keep checking for spear pull and so far its still holding its spear. Butias are tricky palms so I know that it might just look alive and it might really be dead. But Im okay if its dead because Im thinking of possibly replacing it with a Dicksonia Antarctica tree fern.

And speaking of my Dicksonia Antarctica, heres a pic of its recovery. You might remember that it got very overheated at the end of the summer last year and it defoliated. I thought it was a gonner, but I took it outside a few weeks ago during a very heavy thunderstorm and now it looks like its making a flush of new fronds. Right now Im praying for it. I really hope it recovers!

I've killed 3 desert roses indoors in the past and Im proud to say that I managed to keep one alive this winter. Its even making some flower buds!

Hoyas are suprisingly easy to care for. I only watered it one time this winter and now its making a 3rd head of blooms.

In a few weeks Im going to dig up these thorny shrubs that dont do that well in shade and replace them with some new Camellia bushes. They should look nice in that area all year long, especially when they are in bloom in the spring. Maybe I will get one fall blooming camellia and one spring blooming camellia so that way the blooming season is longer.

(you can see the Kramers Supreme Camellia to the left of this pic)

And the tulips are quickly growing now. This is the first year with Tulips for me so Im looking forward to seeing how they look when they are in bloom!

Sorry for all the pics but it has been a while since I updated. Spring is almost here, less than 2 weeks until the end of Meteorological winter!

Thanks for looking!

-Alex

Comments (26)

• wetsuiter
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

It's been an easy winter for most of US. We've seen no measurable snow this year (not even the freak October storm you got), only a few trace dustings. May get a slushy mix overnight, but the wind blowing off ocean tonight is a blessing as its still 40, while down in Richmond its 33 and snowing.

I wrapped my pindo since it was the first winter, though I'm not sure I want to deal with a large palm I'll probably have to wrap each season. I have seen a photo of a very large pindo (10') down in Bethany Beach, but the owners have it wrapped every year. My gut feeling is to buy a large Birmingham from Gary's in NC and be done with wrapping. I did put plastic buckets over my two small med fans and double frost cloth over the larger one on the two nights in the teens. They look great and have seen two others unprotected in pots out in the country, I'm not too concerned any more.

Your plants always impress. One of these visits to my family in the NYC Jersey burbs I'm gonna pop over to see your garden in the summer!

• tropicalzone7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Wetsuiter. Just warning you that my garden looks pretty terrible until about early July lol!
    Its been a great winter. We got under 6 inches of snow for the whole year (including that terrible october snow storm) which less than usual, but not even the top least snowiest winters (or at least I dont think so). The best part about this winter is all the warm days we had. We got into the 60s several times and 50s were common too. If it wasnt those 3-6 wintery days, January's high temperatures would have probably averaged in the 50s this year!
    Good luck with the snow tonight. We completely missed out on that one thankfully, but it seems like your not going to get hit too hard by it either! The ocean is a big help!
    Thanks for looking!
    -Alex

• jimhardy
    12 years ago

Looks good Alex

Your D.A. is fine-
    I would put it in a bigger pot as this will greatly increase the frond size.

Click for weather forecast

• tropicalzone7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Jim! I'm definitely taking your advice about the Tree fern. I also thought it needed a larger pot, but I was afraid of breaking the roots or something.

Do you think now would be a good time to repot or should I wait until spring when it goes outdoors? I have a lot of bad experiences with Cycads making very irregular fronds indoors and I dont want that to happen to my tree fern too.

-Alex

• pj_orlando_z9b
    12 years ago

Great pics, everything looks really good. That livistonia should put out some nice growth this year. Did it receive any protection?

• chadec7a
    12 years ago

Everything is looking good with the exception of the livistonia you toasted.lol That will teach you not to listen to the weatherchannel! seriouly, hope it recovers for you.

We ended up with our first snow last night. All of my 20 some palms where protected except for 3 trachys which are next to the house. They only had their fronds tied up and the trunks wrapped with burlap. Looks like they came through fine.

Chad,

• wetsuiter
    12 years ago

Alex, understand about July being peak. We'll talk more as that time gets closer. What part of the city you in? Definitely not Manhattan from what I've seen!

We escaped snow accumulation last night. Only a few light snow showers fell, but we stayed on the rain side of the freeze line thanks to a strong ocean wind. We've had no measurable snow this year, just two minor dustings that didn't even get the grass white.

• tropicalzone7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks PJ. The Livistona did recieve protection, but the fronds that touched the edges probably got a bit too cold and thats why they were fried.

Thanks Chadec! The livistona will definitely recover. Last year I had a similar problem. Last year it actually looked great at the end of winter and had no damage (even though it was a cold winter). But then I left it unprotected when it went down to 20F and it was toasted even worse than this year. It made a fast recovery though.
    Hopefully that first snowfall was the last one for you!

Wetsuiter, yep we will definitely talk when it gets a bit closer! Glad you didnt really get any snow. Looks like most of the coastal areas got little to no accumulations. The storm was definitely a bit less than forecasted for a lot of areas.

I got a lot of work done in the yard today. I replaced some lights, pruned a few damaged fronds on the palms (didnt prune the livistona yet because the dead fronds will help insulate it if it gets cold again) and cleaned up a bit. The daffodils and tulips are coming up fast. They have already grown since I took the pics! The Tree fern has also grown a bit too since I took a pic of it!
    Thanks for looking!
    -Alex

• wetsuiter
    12 years ago

Daffodils are blooming down here. Saw my first group over in Rehoboth Beach in Mid-January (I posted pics of that), but now the rest of the,area is seeing them bloom a few weeks early. I saw spiarea (sp?) with buds, leaves emerging and some open flowers. The home owners said they've been blooming a little all winter. I also saw a few galardia flowers two weeks ago. Weird.

• tropicalzone7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My daffodils are a little bit behind the other ones around here, maybe because I just planted them last fall, but I havent seen any in bloom here yet. Won;t be too long though hopefully. Its always good to see blooms in Feb since it usually means that spring is very close.

-Alex

• jimhardy
    12 years ago

Now would be fine Alex....

This way it has plenty of time to heal indoors if needed
    while the roots will stay warm.
    Should then be in good shape for spring!(-:

Click for weather forecast

• tropicalzone7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Jim, I'll try to get it done tomorrow if I can since the weather will be nice outside! I'll post pics when its all planted!

• tropicalzone7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I got 2 new plants today! I got a Monstera deliciosa (something I have been looking for a while now) and I got a nice sized Alpinia zerumbet ginger. I'll try to post some pics of them tomorrow!
    -Alex

• jacklord
    12 years ago

Not bad TZ. I just returned from a long weekend in Myrtle Beach and your garden would compete with those I saw.

Grabbed a few goodies at one of their nurseries too.

• tropicalzone7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Jacklord! Im sure you found some nice finds in Myrtle Beach! I have never been there, but I've heard of some good nursuries and there are lots of palms around the city!
    -Alex

• jacklord
    12 years ago

Tons of palms including a few Date Palms.

Grabbed a Camellia, a Pittsotorum, and a Gardenia. Everything was half the price you pay up here.

• ben44
    12 years ago

Your butias look great in my opinion, Alex. You're going to love the Alpinias -- they're wonderful plants indoors or out. I have a bunch of the variegated variety that look great with my faux lava rock ; )

I never thought of growing a Monstera vine outdoors, but they are one of my favorite plants. Do other people do this? How do you protect them? Just cut them down to the ground in winter like a banana and mulch?

I do have some Philodendron 'Hope' plants in my garden. The ones in the courtyard area haven't even died back all the way this year with such mild temps. They still have green leaves and they were just planted in the summer.

What kind of tulips do you have? My wife convinced me to combine bulbs with tropicals in the garden and I think it's a good idea for spring color, since most of the tropicals don't look like much until summer. I got some variegated firespray tulip bulbs from Breck's last fall which look kind of exotic from the pictures -- I'm looking forward to seeing them pop up in the spring.

Great pictures, thanks for sharing!

-Ben

• tropicalzone7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Very nice plants Jacklord! I am always very jealous to see the prices of tropicals in nursuries down south since they are often half the price (sometimes even less than that) than the prices they go for at nursuries here. There are a few nursuries here that have good prices on the tropical "annuals" (I wish they were not sold just as annuals!) but its hard to find good prices on the hardy subtropicals!

Thanks Ben! Glad that you like the butia! I really like the variegated Alphinas, I see them all the time in Florida and in California and they are really beautiful plants. I wish I can find the variegated ones here, but Im happy that I at least found the green variety since those aren't usually found here either!
    The Monstera vine is going to be a potted plant for me. I wish it could grow outdoors, but its way too tropical (Tree Philodendrons might make it with protection though, I always wanted to try them in the ground, but they do well in pots so I guess its easy enough to bring them in). Monsteras are one of my favorite plants also and mine is just starting to get those nice spilt leaves so Im hoping that it will have lots of adult leaves by the end of summer! Your lucky to be able to grow philodendrons in your area, they are a great family of plants!
    I fogot the name of the tulips I bought, but I think they are early or mid spring bloomers. I used to not really be crazy about spring blooming plants but like you said, it takes such a long time for the tropical plants to start looking nice so the spring bulbs at least give me something to look forward to (and I dont have to give them any care which is another big plus!).

Thanks for looking! Im going to post pics of my 2 new plants definitely by tomorrow!
    -Alex

• tropicalzone7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here are the 2 new plants I bought. First pic is the Monstera and the second is the ginger! I cant wait to see them growing outdoors!

-Alex

• ben44
    12 years ago

You can grow philodendrons in z7b too, Alex. Check out these hardy philodendrons.

They're not the split-leaf philodendrons like Monstera; they're more akin to P. selloum. I ordered half a dozen of them from Plant Delights and they're pretty darn cool. Supposedly, they're hardy to 7B, just mulch 'em. Like I said, the ones I planted in my courtyard still have green leaves.

Your new plants look very nice. Hope you enjoy them!

• tropicalzone7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You probably shouldnt have shared that link because now I'm definitely going to end up getting one, lol!
    Philodendrons are one of my favorite plants and Im glad that there is one that is relatively hardy! I'll have to give it a try.
    What was your lowest temperature so far this winter? Most Philos melt when it gets into the mid 20s.
    -Alex

• ben44
    12 years ago

Well, I don't think this winter really tested them -- our lowest was about 24F. My courtyard probably stays a couple degrees warmer than that because it's against the building on one side and protected by a brick wall on the other. The ones I have planted in the front beds died back to the ground along with my cannas, gingers, etc., but I expect them to pop up again in late spring. The ones that are still green in the courtyard got snowed on heavily in January. During the snow, the temps went consistently into the 20's at night for at least a week. Pretty tough for philodendrons.

• tropicalzone7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the info! Definitely pretty hardy for a philodendron. I guess the real test will be when a cold winter comes! We definitely get below 24F every winter so I doubt it would be evergreen here even in a good spot!
    -Alex

• jacklord
    12 years ago

I have been debating whether to try one of those for about a year now.

• jimhardy
    12 years ago

I am thinking of gettong one too....they are kind of expensive.
    maybe if somebody comes across a good deal THEY CAN POST IT HERE(-:

• tropicalzone7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I agree, they are a little bit expensive, but I will definitely get one if they can be found at a good price so if anyone knows where they can be gotten cheap, definitely post!
    -Alex

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz