Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_21934719

Blizzard coming.

User
11 years ago

Awaiting a historic blizzard here.

Not exteme cold, but HEAVY snow and hurricane force winds...yet again.

Crazy weather continues. March and April expected to be warm/hot and dry.

Comments (18)

• LagoMar
    11 years ago

How much snow are you expecting and where are you in Jersey?

• wetsuiter
    11 years ago

Good luck to you and Alex! Just heavy rain expected here, but coastal flood watches are up.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It has certainly been a few 'interesting' years here. Snow amounts? Now between 12-18, but who knows? We are in immediate NJ/NYC Metro (zone 7)--urban heat island, and coastal but these systems have been exploding offshore lately! I actually do like snow. As long as it is not too cold, would rather have the snow than a cold, drab rainstorm actually. Next week is supposed to be much milder, so it will not linger forever--hate that! All this snow at this time of the year--I will need to wear the sunglasses inside the house! Expecting heat and drought in one month according to forecasts.

• wetsuiter
    11 years ago

We've not had much snow since the two big dumps around Valentine's Day 2010...20" followed by 10" more, deepest in Coastal Delaware history. And it stuck around for a while too! The next year, Jersey got it all and we had next to nothing.

• tropicalzone7
    11 years ago

Thanks for the luck, we might need it! So far just a lot of rain and wind by me, no white on the ground. There is sleet/snow in New Brunswick NJ right now so the rain snow line is only a few miles away. The longer is stays out of the area the better! There is a really heavy band of rain right along the coast in South Jersey, whoever gets that as snow is going to see some unreal weather!
    Hopefully we dont lose power here since we are going to get down to 11F and my palms definitely wont do well exposed to that kind of cold.
    -Alex

• LagoMar
    11 years ago

Most palms dislike frozen precipitation of any kind.

• trishmick
    11 years ago

Here at the shore ( southern Monmouth County ) been all rain, and lots of it. Backyard already starting to flood. Don't know how much we are due to get...but it will be a lot less than areas north. Concern will be erosion at the beach and damage to rebuilding boardwalks. Keeping fingers crossed that here it is mainly a rain event...

• miketropic
    11 years ago

its clear and cold down this way no snow in sight..which I am just fine with. If it would just stay a bit warmer at night Id start planting

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

It's been mentioned on the news here. Big transport shutdown and people told to stay indoors.Good luck with it, and keep those plants cosy. We've been getting the exact opposite here lately.

• LagoMar
    11 years ago

So how did you fare? By the maps it doesn't look like anything historical in the New York/New Jersey area. I saw 11 inches in central park which probably happens nearly every year.

• tropicalzone7
    11 years ago

I got near a foot by me, I know that New Brunswick got a little over 7 inches. Parts of Long Island did get to see the historical totals the storm promised. Some areas are buried in over 30 inches of snow there. Fortunately this was not a huge snow storm for NYC. During a normal winter a foot of snow is usually the most that one storm brings, lets hope this is a normal winter. We have rain in the forecast for Monday (that should help melt things!) and then rain in the forecast for Thursday, but that can be the next snowstorm that we have to worry about. I'm not liking February so far!
    -Alex

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It was a deep snowstorm but not a blizzard here. We had about 14-15 inches. Now, it very sunny, not too windy, and melting well--roads are in surprisingly good conditions considering it just occurred. Did nt exect to have this wet, heavy, sticky snow. There was a bit of damage to some of the magnolias but too bad--really clinging snow type. Needle is covered in snow, Trachys look okay. Was expecting the finer snow--this stuff is heavy! Was not really too cold during the night--upper 20's, now, only 30f. but not too bad in the sun. Now, the next issue the heavy rain expected Moday. Rain and temps into the 40's mean a potential for flooding. Someone say 'uncle' please!

• wetsuiter
    11 years ago

As forecast we only had (much needed) heavy rain with temperatures in the low 40s most of the day. Rain stopped by 4pm and temps remained mild until before midnight. There were two bands of light snow that swung down from the northwest behind the storm. Got a few flurries, but that was the extent. Impressive accumulations coming out of New England!

• trishmick
    11 years ago

Impressive accumulation by me. Did not expect to wake up to roughly 7/8 inches of snow in the driveway. Fortunately, turned out to be the lighter, fluffier stuff. Knocked it off my windmill fronds. Think my man is looking forward to Spring despite the only recent trend of frigid air and precip...

• miketropic
    11 years ago

glad you all kept the snow up that away its been nice and mild here around 55 today with some needed rain. havent seen snow in weeks

• Kokomo-JB
    11 years ago

Regarding this Blizzard, how did all your palms fare?
    NJOasis...I've read that you have Butias and Phoenixes did you cover them?

NJOasis, Miketropic, Tropicalzone7 If my reading comp is correct...I know you all have Trachy Variations-curious to hear how they fared and the amount of protection you gave them.

Dont want to be a pain in the butt, I'd love to see any pictures if any were taken. Thanks!

• miketropic
    11 years ago

everything I have is still wrapped up. Im in zone 6B and we didn't get any snow down this way. it was all more the east coast. chance of snow today but the sun is shineing so IDK.

I have peeked at mine and there is only the slightest leaf tip burn on them. mine were covered but with no heat and have made it through the winter with out problems. I'll post pictures when there all unwrapped.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sabal minors, Needles, and T. wagnerianus are unprotected outside and fine. Some minr damage to unprotected T. fortunei. Covered Washy looks okay. (Forgot to check Med fan.) Butias and Phoenix are not outside but in a garage w.o. Problems. Cold February, but not that extreme.