Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any success with Majesty Palm as a 'houseplant'?

Posted by njoasis 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 21, 12 at 20:05

I had to succomb and try it once again. I have to say, for such a "common" plant, it certainly is a challenge. Frankly, cocconuts are easier in the North based on my own experience. It's a draw for me, do I overwinter it in the garage along witht the Washingtonias and Dates or in the house with the more tender palms. In the house, it gets spider mite (without fail), in my garage, it has to deal with temps that are probably cooler than it would like but at least there is no risk from the bugs. I lost one this past winter out in the garage though a smaller one in the same pot survived. In fairness, it might have been the dryness and not any cold that did it in this winter--I see this species loves water and some even recommend growing it in a saucer of water so it never dries. So, for those of you who feel bad because you lost a Majesty palm, I am here to say, give yourself a break! I have over 60 species of palms and the "Majesty" Palm (a Big Store standard), is a royal pain in the a/ss to keep alive outside of the tropics. So next winter, I'll try to overwinter in the garage but in a saucer of shallow water to keep up with its water needs and drought intolerance. Peace out.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any success with Majesty Palm as a 'houseplant'?

So far I've actually had no problems with my Majesty palm indoors. The tips of the fronds usually brown a bit, but it still remains healthy and grows about 2 fronds while indoors. I keep it very well watered, but its in fast draining soil so the soil is never really moist. Its also right next to a ton of other plants (and a skylight) so that takes care of humidity and light problems pretty well.
But I know a lot of people who have not been able to grow Majesty palms indoors and I have killed many majesty palms indoors too. Thats why if I ever by small majesty palms, I just use them as filler tropical plants and dont bring them indoors since they are cheap and arent really worth the trouble unless they are a nice sized palm.
Good luck! I hope this one does better for you. Spraying some Neem oil when it has bugs and misting lots of water once a week helps them out a bit. I have to admit that I havent done either of those things with my majesty palm this winter (but I did last year).
-Alex

o

I've tried them twice, but never did well for me. I had one die on me completely indoors. The other survived down my basement under a grow light, but they always seem to get brown tips, get root rot, or lose fronds completely. They seem to hate the dry air indoors due to the furnace. I moved the second one outside in the summer, in a shady spot to avoid sunburn, and it didn't grow at all, 2 months outdoors. I moved it to full sun, and it grew 1 frond, and remained unattractive due to sunburn. Finally I gave up on it and gave it to a family friend. He keeps it in his Florida room, which can be in the 50s on a cloudy day, and it seems to be maintaining. It will be interesting to see how it does in that room when it gets steamy on a sunny summer day. There is also a hot tub in the room, so I'm sure the humidity helps. Either way, they only look nice for me when I first bring them home from the store, and soon after start declining.

o

Really big Majesty palms are quite attractive! The trunks expand so much, they remind me of Bottle Palms or even Jubaea (Chilean Wine). I just keep reading that they love water and fertilizer, so as I said, I am sitting it in a saucer of water and keeping it cool for the winter and see what happens. Most palms have some degree of drought tolerance but a minority do not (for example, Cat Palms and Paurotis come to mind and not much else).

o

• Posted by ben44 8a Seattle WA (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 23, 12 at 17:32

I had three Majesty Palms and two died of scale infestations that got pretty nasty. The third one, which was actually the first one I got, is doing well though -- I've had it about a year now. Mine is like Alex's, in fast-draining "soil" (more like sand and chunks of debris) which I water frequently. And contrary to light care indications, I keep mine in a relatively low-light environment. I say low just because it's not very near the window, so although it's a well-lit room, it is very indirect light.

It does suffer a little from humidity problems, in that the fronds are a little crinkly, not as soft as when grown in a nice steamy greenhouse. And it has "lost some weight" as it were: some of the smaller suckers and lower fronds have died off completely, either because of my inadequate watering or just an adaptation to the lower light conditions. But overall it's a beautiful, graceful individual which I don't find to be too impatient or particular. I have much worse trouble with my Livistona chinensis palms, for example.

I don't have any experience with overwintering them, so I don't know how they behave when they go into dormancy, but I would think that the saucer treatment would be a formula for root rot. These guys seem to love the airiness of their soil as much as they love frequent watering. So I don't know that you're going to achieve a set-it-and-forget-it arrangement, but I'm curious what you find your results to be. Personally, I think you could overwinter these like people do their tea roses (another thirsty plant), that is, just keep the soil moist, watering it moderately a few times in the winter while in the basement/garage, and keep them propped up off the cold floor on a wood block or something.

-Ben

o

I have read that they grow along riversides, thus the species name 'rivularis', and enjoy being waterlogged (again, not typical palm treatment to be sure).

o

This is a very late response as it has been 2 years since the conversation started but I figure if I am reading it someone else may still be wanting information as well.
I live in Colorado so humidity is very low and temperatures get to both ends of the extremes (usually either too hot or too cold and obviously very dry). I don't have a lot of success with Majesty Palms here at all less than a year actually. We also have hard-very hard water issues in my area. I water my plants with reverse-osmosis cleaned water for that reason and when I can't I use the shower and fill the pot a couple of times letting the water run out of the pot (not sitting in water) over night in the tub before returning them back to their south facing window where they get filtered sunlight. They tend to turn brown on the edges when the salt builds up in the soil. They can tolerate drying out briefly between watering but here they must be misted regularly. I don't repot them after letting them adjust to the new environment of my home, which is different from the nursery, which is of course very different from the Florida distributors. One is likely to kill or have many a Majesty die before getting it just right. I have had my best luck with Cat Palms from Wal-Mart. Though they do die back and I have one after 3 years that died all the way back but still making new healthy growth. None of my palms have ever experienced anything worse than fruit flies I attribute the lack of spider mites and other bugs infestations to the showers but I also attribute the fruit flies to those showers. So I have learned regardless of which palm I have they should be misted regularly but showered no more than once a month. I hope my experience will help my newest majesty palms survive longer but also help someone else care for theirs or at least help someone determine that Cat palms are easier to care for indoors especially in a dry climate.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here